Troll & Spammer Problem: Click here to read about the most common types of forum trolls. Then click the Report button when you see their posts.

Fitness Training like Herschel Walker?
Hannibal Offline
Wingman

Training like Herschel Walker?
Hey guys, I'm currently studying abroad and it seems like there are no gyms here. I've been doing convict conditioning consistently since January and I have been getting good results. I want to change up my program though because there's a lot in CC that I don't agree with. I've been reading articles about Herschel Walker, he's done everything from ballet to MMA. At age 47, he still looks like this

[Image: herschel-walker-2.jpg]

For those of you who don't know, here's a short summary of Herschel Walker's training program that he still follows, and I believe he's hovering around 50.

Quote:The Herschel Walker Workout Routine

So this is going to be quick. Herschel Walker says he has never lifted weights for his workout. That’s not to say he’s never picked up a dumbbell or a heavy bar. I am sure he has he is a former Heisman trophy winner, NFL Superstar, and current MMA fighter. However, for his workouts he doesn’t lift weights and he never has. This is his workout routine.

Every Day:

750 to 1,500 Pushups
2,000 to 3,500 Situps

That’s it. And he is this ripped and has been this ripped since High School. He jogs a little, sprints or does HIIT a little. But not regularly not even once a week. Currently he is training as an MMA fighter so he spars and rolls around on the mats, but it isn’t significant calorie burning or resistance training happening there. It really is just the push-ups and sit-ups for his muscle mass. But MORE IMPORTANTLY it is the DIET specifically the low calorie diet and regular fasting throughout the day that makes him look so shredded and have such a low body fat.

So eat less, do a lot of push-ups and sit-ups and look ripped to shreds.

http://www.zimbio.com/Herschel+Walker/ar...ps+Routine

And this is what he eats. It seems to contradict most everything I've learned about diet, since he doesn't get much for protein. He also sleeps 4 hours a night.

Quote:So what is the Herschel Walker Diet? And what makes it so simple and work so well. Herschel Walker eats one meal a day.

. . . .

So we know what the Herschel Walker Diet is now, but what does he eat? He says he doesn’t ever eat red meat. He says most nights he has a little fresh poultry with a salad and little soup. That could be anywhere from 400 to 1,200 calories depending on dressing used, and whether or not the soup is cream or broth based

So what I'm asking is, has anyone ever tried anything like this with good results? I know there's a thread called "hundredpushups" where people try to build up their endurance over the course of six weeks, but the work capacity required for a Herschel Walker workout is so insane, I don't even know if it's achievable or worth going after. I won't be doing 1500 pushups a day, but 100 would be a more realistic goal.

What do you guys think?

A young bull and an old bull were standing on a hill looking at a bunch of heifers in a field below.

The young bull says - "Let's run down there and fuck one of those heifers."

The old bull says - "Let's walk down there, and fuck them all."
09-15-2012 03:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
MikeCF Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

RE: Training like Herschel Walker?
Google around and his former team mates will explain that he just trolls guys when he talks about his workout and famous, one meal a day of soup and salad.

He does it for the lulz.
09-15-2012 03:58 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like MikeCF's post:
Hannibal, Sanblz33, Thomas the Rhymer
Vorkuta Away
True Player

What results do you want? Do you want to get bigger or leaner?Doing Herscels workout won't give you his body unless you have his genetics. If you want to get bigger then doing a thousand reps of any exercise a day is not the best way to do it.

Define your goal and I'm sure people will come along and give their input as to the best way to get there.
09-15-2012 03:58 PM
WesternCancer Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

I think he's a genetic freak and you're not going to look like him by doing this. Like the article says he used to be NFL now he's doing MMA so you couldn't start from nothing and expect this.

Check out my latest post over at Return of Kings: Is The Pursuit of Truth A Mask For Negativity?
Follow me on Twitter
09-15-2012 03:59 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like WesternCancer's post:
rudebwoy, OGNorCal707
Hannibal Offline
Wingman

Alrighty, I figured he was probably trolling. It sounded too good to be true.

Where I'm at
14% body fat at 180 lbs, though I haven't weighed myself in a month

My fitness goals are basically this:
8% body fat and about 190 lbs at 6 foot 2
Aesthetically pleasing physique, shoulder/waist ratio, that kind of thing
And the end goals of convict conditioning

One armed pushup : probably 3 months away on this one. I can do the lever pushup a couple times.
One armed pullup : I'm nowhere near this. Pullups by themselves seem to build up slow for me.
Pistol squat : I can do 5 on each leg, gonna build this up and then add weight in the upcoming months
Hanging leg raise : I can do plenty of these
Stand to stand bridge : probably a couple months away from this one, I can do them up and down a wall without much difficulty
One armed handstand pushup : Really close to doing a regular handstand pushup, I believe the one armed version is impossible

I do calisthenics because there's no gym here at the institute in Germany. I've been trying the whole "one meal a day" thing since Tuesday and I feel somewhat shitty. I'm getting leaner, but it's hard to tell if it's fat or muscle because I don't think my measurements are all that accurate. My belt went down at least 4 notches this last month and I've lost probably 15 lbs from doing intermittent fasting once or twice a week since June.

Once I get back to America I'll be back on the iron. Bodyweight exercises cannot replace the deadlift and the squat, but they are good for the upper body. I'm turning into a topheavy bastard with my current workout. If I get a good setup, I'll be doing novice/intermediate gymnastics for my upper body.

A young bull and an old bull were standing on a hill looking at a bunch of heifers in a field below.

09-15-2012 04:19 PM
Giovonny Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

If you do over 1000 push-ups and over 1000 sit-ups you will get a great workout.

This is how I work out. All body weight stuff. Lots of pulls ups, push ups, dips, and stuff like this...

It works great. But, you must add weight to your body by using ankle weights or a weighted vest.

And, I must eat alot of protein if I want to build muscle.

Hershel Walker is a freak of nature.

Also, for better results, do plyometric stuff like this..

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2012 08:34 PM by Giovonny.)
09-15-2012 08:28 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Giovonny's post:
JofSuperman, Beyond Borders
Don_Johnson Offline
Game Denialist

(09-15-2012 04:19 PM)Hannibal Wrote:  Alrighty, I figured he was probably trolling. It sounded too good to be true.

Where I'm at
14% body fat at 180 lbs, though I haven't weighed myself in a month

My fitness goals are basically this:
8% body fat and about 190 lbs at 6 foot 2
Aesthetically pleasing physique, shoulder/waist ratio, that kind of thing
And the end goals of convict conditioning

One armed pushup : probably 3 months away on this one. I can do the lever pushup a couple times.
One armed pullup : I'm nowhere near this. Pullups by themselves seem to build up slow for me.
Pistol squat : I can do 5 on each leg, gonna build this up and then add weight in the upcoming months
Hanging leg raise : I can do plenty of these
Stand to stand bridge : probably a couple months away from this one, I can do them up and down a wall without much difficulty
One armed handstand pushup : Really close to doing a regular handstand pushup, I believe the one armed version is impossible

I do calisthenics because there's no gym here at the institute in Germany. I've been trying the whole "one meal a day" thing since Tuesday and I feel somewhat shitty. I'm getting leaner, but it's hard to tell if it's fat or muscle because I don't think my measurements are all that accurate. My belt went down at least 4 notches this last month and I've lost probably 15 lbs from doing intermittent fasting once or twice a week since June.

Once I get back to America I'll be back on the iron. Bodyweight exercises cannot replace the deadlift and the squat, but they are good for the upper body. I'm turning into a topheavy bastard with my current workout. If I get a good setup, I'll be doing novice/intermediate gymnastics for my upper body.

I'm 6'-2", and I looked pretty scrawny at 180 pounds. You need to be 195 minimum to even get chicks to comment on your physique. And this is at obviously a respectable body fat percentage.

Anyway, without steroids it's going to take you a while to get the results you desire. There are so many legit sources now, there is no reason not to use them.
09-15-2012 10:11 PM
Hannibal Offline
Wingman

When I get back to the States, I'll probably do the starting strength program until the end of the year. I figure I could put on some good size with starting strength in 4 months and after that continue with my convict conditioning.

I don't think I want to be taking steroids. I know that some of the common criticisms are probably not true, but I'd rather not risk my long term health for something I could just do in a longer amount of time. Especially since all the people I know back in highschool who took steroids are now getting heart attacks and other kinds of organ failure.

09-16-2012 04:21 AM
BLarsen Offline
Chubby Chaser
Gold Member

(09-15-2012 03:41 PM)Hannibal Wrote:  I've been doing convict conditioning consistently since January and I have been getting good results. I want to change up my program though because there's a lot in CC that I don't agree with...

...I won't be doing 1500 pushups a day, but 100 would be a more realistic goal.

What do you guys think?

I've been doing CC for well over a year and while I HAVE seen good gains the volume prescribed is way too low IMO.

I came across this page:
http://harrycloudfoot.com/2012/05/11/sel...n-6-weeks/

Which led me to this video:

It's just a pullup program, but it led me to change my philosophy on training volume and frequency.
09-16-2012 01:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
JohnKreese Offline
Chubby Chaser

Herschel regularly come back to Athens and works out with the current football team. Reports are that one, maybe two guys are able to keep up with him through the exercises. I mean, these are 18-22 year-old SEC athletes and the 47 year-old guy just smokes them. Insane.

Make his knuckles bleed...
09-16-2012 06:18 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes JohnKreese's post:
Hades
bacon Offline
True Player

i live in mexico there are gyms here but they dont have proper aircon so they smell bad.

i just do my workout in my apartment all i use are gloves, i bought a perfect pushup tool and a dumbell

i do bodyweight squats (leg muscles)
i do pushups (shoulders, chest, tricep)
i do bicep curls (bicep)
i do dumbbell rows (upperback)

not a perfect workout but i do it all in an hr with less than 2 min between reps. i do each rep to failure. i started this 3 mnths ago. i am getting good results.

i think people can get in shape with just kettlebell, just bodyweight, just dumbbells, or .cable machines. just find a workout that works for you but pushups and squats (pull ups too) to me are the best as they are compound exercises and you are less likely to injure yourself.

(04-17-2014 07:02 AM)Parlay44 Wrote:  Women are like sandwiches. All men love sandwiches. That's a given. But sandwiches are only good when they're fresh. Nobody wants a day old sandwich. The bread is all soggy and the meat is spoiled.
09-16-2012 08:38 PM
pitt Offline
True Player

This guy has an ugly body, i dont understand the obsession over his body.
09-16-2012 11:22 PM
Beyond Borders Away
International Playboy
Gold Member

(09-16-2012 11:22 PM)pitt Wrote:  This guy has an ugly body, i dont understand the obsession over his body.

haha I think I can jot that down as the first time I've seen a guy say that about another guy. To be fair though, I kind of was thinking something looks a bit strange about his build myself.

09-16-2012 11:42 PM
Hannibal Offline
Wingman

Well, yeah. If you overemphasize pushups (or something pushup-like), you're going to have a lot of definition in the trap/deltoid region. I agree, it looks weird (which is why I'd balance it out with handstand work and bridges), but the guy is strong and ripped as hell.

09-17-2012 12:50 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  8 newbies run a hedgefund after just 2 weeks training cardguy 29 3,176 03-31-2014 08:09 AM
Last Post: lowside
  D&P Podcast on training Nascimento 27 1,755 03-06-2014 11:13 PM
Last Post: MikeCF
  Is there a point of diminishing returns for strength training? Nascimento 54 4,279 02-27-2014 11:58 PM
Last Post: Teutatis