Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

John Stossel
squiggly Offline
Pigeon

John Stossel
I had never heard of this guy before, but I randomly came across him on YT searching for something else. https://www.youtube.com/user/rickjohn12000

He is apparently a libertarian conservative reporter of a kind, and I took an immediate liking to his presentation style and perspectives. He is like a much less crazy Alex Jones in a way, questioning the same bullshit.

I have only watched 2 of his videos so far, am I on ghe right track and is he worth following?
04-30-2020 06:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Salinger Offline
Robin

RE: John Stossel
(04-30-2020 06:44 AM)squiggly Wrote:  I had never heard of this guy before, but I randomly came across him on YT searching for something else. https://www.youtube.com/user/rickjohn12000

He is apparently a libertarian conservative reporter of a kind, and I took an immediate liking to his presentation style and perspectives. He is like a much less crazy Alex Jones in a way, questioning the same bullshit.

I have only watched 2 of his videos so far, am I on ghe right track and is he worth following?

I've always liked his style of reporting, even if I don't always agree with everything he has to say. He just seems like an upstanding guy.
04-30-2020 09:12 AM
fokm Offline
Sparrow

He used to be MSM -- was an anchor on 20/20. Not sure what happened to cause him to go independent.
04-30-2020 09:17 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes fokm's post:
jordypip23
Captain Gh Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

Got absolutely nothing against the Guy since he's doing his job, providing for his family & all... but he's the Go to guy when the Establishment wants to instill a paradox that the anti-CNN / Conservative Crowd wouldn't otherwise dare swallow.
04-30-2020 09:21 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like Captain Gh's post:
NoMoreTO, 911, WillOfTheD
Athanasius Offline
Kingfisher

John has been around a long time. A generation ago he was on ABC's 20/20 and did various exposes of bureaucratic overreach. It's an area in which he did well and he was very popular, which is why ABC kept him around. He was pretty much the only guy on TV calling out these things.

After leaving ABC, he had a show on Fox Business that ran for years (don't know if it's still on). He revealed himself there to be firmly in the Cato / Reason Magazine beltway libertarian camp. I like some of the Rothbardian libertarians like Ron Paul, Lew Rockwell, and Tom Woods much better as they are strongly anti-Fed, against open borders, and generally have religious underpinning or at least respect for the moral order. Paul is a believing protestant, Woods and Rockwell are practicing Catholics. They overlap some with paleoconservatism. The Cato side pushes lifestyle libertarianism (legalized prostitution, weed, gay marriage) and toxic Koch "open borders, make it where it's cheapest" nonsense. Which is no surprise because I think the Kochs provided Cato with much of its funding.

I'm a strong believer in limiting the gov't, but it doesn't matter how free your economy is if you destroy your own culture through open borders, degeneracy, and fed monetary policy that allows you to export manufacturing offshore. Any short-term benefits won't last.

So, re: Stossel-- he's good at pointing out problems and sometimes has sensible solutions. But he's likely not good on the key topics noted above.
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2020 01:49 PM by Athanasius.)
04-30-2020 01:42 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Athanasius's post:
Captainstabbin, 911
joost Offline
Kingfisher

Old video:

[MEDIA=youtube]JoUk9wsFwDA[/MEDIA]
04-30-2020 01:54 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes joost's post:
Blade Runner
Captainstabbin Offline
Hummingbird

(((John))) is great on some topics, like limiting government, but he's weak on most social issues and he's an atheist (but says he's "open to the possibility" to soften the stance).
04-30-2020 02:15 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Captainstabbin's post:
911, Athanasius, WillOfTheD