Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Work/life balance
squiggly Offline
Pigeon

Work/life balance
How many hours do you work a day typically, and how do you divide up your spare time? Do you plan how you spend it or just let it unfold however? Do you use it all on leisure, or allow for time for furthering your career by learning new skills etc? And if you could choose one thing you would do less of, and one thing you would do more of, what would they be? (For me less YouTube, more reading).
04-30-2020 06:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes squiggly's post:
Mayhem
Easy_C Offline
Crow

RE: Work/life balance
For me it's highly project dependent.

I think one huge mistake people make though is looking at it just in terms of hours. Speaking from personal experience, 40 hours a week in a job you absolutely despise and see no future in can be worse than 60-70 hours in a job you like. The first is a slog you just survive, while the other feels like a worthwhile investment in your skills. It also isn't often a matter of just "time for other things" because if you have to spend a couple of hours trying to recover from a demoralizing day it shoots down any benefits you may have from less hours.
04-30-2020 12:09 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Easy_C's post:
Mayhem
kel Offline
Kingfisher

I am, unfortunately, sorta always in "work mode". That means I'm half there but half distracted when it's actually work time, and in my personal time I'm kinda half distracted still thinking about work and might open up my computer and do a little coding before I forget. I'm working on setting better boundaries.
04-30-2020 01:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes kel's post:
Mayhem
Zenta Offline
Woodpecker
Gold Member

(04-30-2020 01:52 PM)kel Wrote:  I am, unfortunately, sorta always in "work mode". That means I'm half there but half distracted when it's actually work time, and in my personal time I'm kinda half distracted still thinking about work and might open up my computer and do a little coding before I forget. I'm working on setting better boundaries.

Yup I help run a small family business and this is me as well. I dont have the luxury to "take off" since I'm not working for someone else, I kind of need to care what happens around the clock.
04-30-2020 07:08 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Zenta's post:
Mayhem, Thriller