Roosh V Forum
Netflix Thread - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://www.rooshvforum.com)
+-- Forum: Main (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Everything Else (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Netflix Thread (/thread-38492.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Netflix Thread - Cr33pin - 03-22-2019 04:11 PM

RE: Netflix Thread - Malone - 03-22-2019 04:37 PM

(03-22-2019 06:37 AM)Richard Turpin Wrote:  David Fincher's 'Love, Death & Robots'

Well worth a watch lads!

Netflix's new anthology series of 18 animated stories. The (rare) 18 Certificate is justified for once, so don't watch it with young kids present (gratuitous violence, nudity the lot).

[Image: SEI_56801715.jpg?quality=90&stri...;amp;ssl=1]

I'm halfway through it and well impressed so far. Each story is standalone (and different!) and between 6 and 17 minutes long. Ideal for just dipping in and out of as you fancy.

There's sjw elements to be detected if you're senses are honed enough, but that's only to be expected these days and the series can easily be enjoyed by members of this board regardless (It's actually been hammered as 'sexist', by all the internet cultural gatekeepers, if that helps). The animation is top-notch and much like the stories themselves, varies in style from episode to episode.

I've spoken of my love for these old anthology-style shows before in my 'Ballad of Buster Scraggs' review (watch that too!). Reminds me so much of Creepshow and Tales from the Darkside etc.

Yes, it's great but that first statement is misleading. The very first one is full on propaganda, but not as bad as it could be. The rest are from good to amazing.

RE: Netflix Thread - Vienna - 03-23-2019 05:26 PM

Netflix just released a movie about the rise of Mötley Crüe titled The Dirt, based on the biography of the same name.

Holy sh-t what an entertaining movie. Not deep, but a truly a wild ride. Great acting from the guy playing Nikki Sixx (who's basically the main character), and Machine Gun Kelly of all people portrays Tommy Lee - and he does a good job!

The movie's also refreshingly free from the increasing SJWisms of the streaming giant. Groupies getting used, tits bouncing around, Sixx snorting coke off the ass of a slut... If you read the book you know what to expect.

My only reservation is that it could have focused more on the songwriting process, I always find that interesting. Some key people and events are also left out, no doubt by their own request since pretty much anything connected to this band is sleazy as hell.

In conclusion: Better than expected. It's a blitz through the history of a mythical 80's band, and the movie never loses steam.

RE: Netflix Thread - Cr33pin - 07-03-2019 10:22 PM

Starts tomorrow... Happy 4th of July

RE: Netflix Thread - SergioRamos - 07-04-2019 02:01 AM

La Casa de Papel is coming soon as well

RE: Netflix Thread - HermeticAlly - 07-06-2019 12:37 PM

Stranger Things 3 was very good. A bit of Grrrl Power, but little Agenda overall (though one character is randomly a lesbian for no real reason.) Much better than season 2, which wasn't bad by any means.

RE: Netflix Thread - Repo - 07-06-2019 03:21 PM

I enjoyed ST3 alot. The worst part for me was the cop and his crushes sideplot, the writing for both of them took a step backwards as they both seemed like caricatures. The newsroom was a bit heavy handed too. Still, I'd rate the show 8/10 overall.

RE: Netflix Thread - la bodhisattva - 07-06-2019 04:41 PM

I'm surprised the perverts at netflix haven't sexualized the kids yet, especially Eleven. Could the Duffer Brothers, with their Southern upbringing and attendance of Chapman University (a rather conservative school) actually NOT be Hollywood degenerates?

RE: Netflix Thread - Captainstabbin - 07-07-2019 02:25 AM

It was refreshing to hear a character actually say that she didn't like communism. And to have a woman stay with her boring husband instead of hooking up with Chad...er, Billy.

I didn't like that they separated the kids. The chemistry between the Mike, Dustin and Lucas is a key to the show, they need to keep those 3 together. Nancy and 11 are one dimensional, Max is slightly better. I really liked Ethan Hawke's kid. It's interesting that, with all of the supposed oppression gays get, this is the average reaction to someone coming out. Steve is a little surprised but there's no hostility at all. Where was the constant bullying and violence most gays claim they suffer? It doesn't exist...

RE: Netflix Thread - HermeticAlly - 07-07-2019 06:16 AM

When was the last time you saw Soviets as bad guys, either? I thought they were going with Russian villains because now that Russia is nationalist it's trendy to hate them again, but they seem to have gone out of their way to portray Alexei as a decent dude and only the military as villainous.

Plus, I like the theme of the corrupt local politician selling out his local community/businesses to make a quick buck from a shady, powerful corporation. Substitute that with Wal-Mart, and it hits way too close to home. The show is surprisingly pro-community and pro-family.

I don't mind turning Hopper into a glorified comic relief character because he's by far the cast's biggest SJW.

RE: Netflix Thread - ilostabet - 07-08-2019 03:18 AM

The third season of Stranger Things is one of the worst things I have ever watched. It seems the whole production crew and actors themselves were lobotomized, it’s so bad from every perspective. It's a laugh track away from the Big Bang Theory and it's not even a flashback away from being a bad CSI Miami episode – the proof this season is made for low IQ people is that they are constantly reminding you of things that happened the episode prior.

This season has nothing to do with the original one - in tone, setting, mood, everything. This seems directed and written by Michael Bay, where explosions and CGI replace story and character development, and big and loud replace everything – there is no subtlety, no taste, every moment is cranked up to 11 as if everyone is in a constant state of cocaine overdose. Everything is over the top regardless of context – including the actors. The characters are mostly unrecognizable - it’s like they were sucked into bad sitcom world.

The amount of ‘women empowerment’ is through the roof – every single episode has multiple, overt or not so overt, anti-masculine message and pro-female empowerment. If I did a drinking game with every instance, I would die from cirrhosis. Their big and small villains are all the caricature of the ‘white male’ – and it’s pretty much always the women having the smart ideas, saving the day, etc, whereas the men are more often than not just idiot nuisances to be pitied and, at best, tolerated. Two episodes in I knew one of the girls would be a lesbian. And so it was. The propaganda is so blatant it’s funny – there’s one scene where they come so close to saying El is “an independent woman” that they might as well have.

Also, how did no one notice that the show went from having the government in the original MKULTRA being the villains(S1), to the government being good guys now trying to help (S1), to now the bad guys being the evil Russians? And, cherry on top, a WASP corrupt politician who ‘colludes’ with the Russians to help them do bad things in America? Clear orange man bad stuff here.

It’s funny someone above said this is a family oriented show, when every father figure in the show is bad (I mean, in one of the corny flashbacks, you see the new villain’s father punching his mom in the face – you actually see it twice because they do that flashback twice, because the audience is supposed to be low IQ – and then basically they present his villainy as a result of toxic masculinity from his dad) – they are either bad, or stupid, or incompetent, or something.

I will stress again the tastelessness of everything (from the story, the actor direction, the dialogue, the music), because that is the defining feature of this. Previous seasons you could suspend your disbelief – even the supernatural stuff was tasteful and shy. Now we have kids breaking into a secret and heavily guarded Russian lab with basically no problem. So much so they do it twice - and they are always either on the brink of bursting into tears or into laughter - because, again, no taste, just emotional incontinence. There are animes more realistic than this stuff.

Are people really that braindead they cannot notice how debased and dumbed down it has become? My wife and I burst out laughing when the monster picked up and screamed at the walkie talkie. Along with this B movie type of scene, there’s the rest of the show, exactly in the same vein of catering to the lowest common denominator: the average shot must be 30 seconds, designed to keep the attention of fresh water fish and current day phone-addicts. It’s like watching a completely different show where the actors happen to be the same as the ones who did ST1 and 2 – I guess money spoke louder here and they would rather appeal to the same kind of people who love blockbusters.

I was disappointed. I thought it would just be a little worse than the 2nd, which was a little worse than the 1st, with a little diversity and female empowerment but not this much. Because of this orgy of bad taste that is reminiscent of everything else in our culture, the 80s nostalgia is gone from the show –it just feels like another over the top, tasteless, low IQ current-day nonsense.

1/10 – would not watch again.

RE: Netflix Thread - Psygnosis89 - 07-08-2019 06:38 AM

I actually thought the second was a massive drop down in quality from the first, so not surprised if the third is bad. The first felt genuine and authentic, the second felt like a no soul corporate re-hash for the most part.

RE: Netflix Thread - Chiosboy90 - 07-08-2019 07:43 AM

I watched the first season of Stranger Things while back and I loved it. The soundtrack and 80s vibes was AWESOME. For some reason I did not watch the second season and when the third came out couple of days ago, I just thought: "meh let's skip one season" and I watched the first episode on S3 and it didn't hook me. The scene in the newspaper room with the "old white men" over the top harassing the "young strong women" instantly turned me off. I get it, back in the Mad Men times women actually were sexual harassed (not like now which even eye contact is raping) but the scene was over the top. Also funny that they try to include people of color and I heard even "gays later on in the series by all cost but in the newspaper scene, suddenly its all white men cause we are all rapist. Good thing I don't pay for Netflix.

E Michael Jones lately in an interview said:" Having a TV in your house is like having a Jew in your living room".

RE: Netflix Thread - MusicForThePiano - 07-08-2019 07:48 AM

I don't partake in Yidflix, though that one movie about Robert the Bruce was ok, a bit more accurate than Braveheart.

I did watch the flix years ago, talking about 8+ years ago or so. They had a lot of good movies on then, older ones, red pill ones, mature ones, not the low quality SJW garbage fest it is today.

RE: Netflix Thread - HermeticAlly - 07-08-2019 08:06 AM

(07-08-2019 03:18 AM)ilostabet Wrote:  This season has nothing to do with the original one - in tone, setting, mood, everything. This seems directed and written by Michael Bay, where explosions and CGI replace story and character development, and big and loud replace everything – there is no subtlety, no taste, every moment is cranked up to 11 as if everyone is in a constant state of cocaine overdose.

Maybe it's my fondness for big, dumb 80s action movies like The Running Man that makes me think this isn't necessarily a bad thing The problem with S2 was that it stuck so closely to the feel of the first season that it ended up feeling like a duller and darker rehash. I appreciated the shift in mood for S3 because it felt like the the show was trying for something different. It doesn't always work, but I'd rather them take the risk.

Quote:The amount of ‘women empowerment’ is through the roof – every single episode has multiple, overt or not so overt, anti-masculine message and pro-female empowerment. If I did a drinking game with every instance, I would die from cirrhosis. Their big and small villains are all the caricature of the ‘white male’ – and it’s pretty much always the women having the smart ideas, saving the day, etc, whereas the men are more often than not just idiot nuisances to be pitied and, at best, tolerated. Two episodes in I knew one of the girls would be a lesbian. And so it was. The propaganda is so blatant it’s funny – there’s one scene where they come so close to saying El is “an independent woman” that they might as well have.

It's really only in the first two episodes. The second episode had this problem (IMO, Max is the most annoying character on the show and a terrible influence on Eleven) but it mostly gets dropped after that, and the boys seem to realize the girls are being ridiculous. On top of that, these kids are what, thirteen? I'm willing to excuse clueless relationship drama because they don't know any better. (Not so much for Hopper and his anti-Game toward Joyce.)

The newsroom thing is the only other part I found particularly cringe-inducing, but it's a minor part of the first two or so episodes. It's almost like the network told them to include some cursory Grrrl Power and White Guy Bad, but it's gone after the first two episodes. The way you write about this, it sounds like Eleven and Nancy are bitching about The Patriarchy every five minutes, but aside from a trip to the mall and sort of a conversation in the car, it's not there.

In fact, Grrrl Power is crucially absent from the finale, where it's Eleven's empathy toward Billy, not her superpowers and being the most powerful character in the room, that saves them from getting killed. It's actually the boys and their efforts overall that save Eleven from getting killed (and, I thought it was implied that if the monster "absorbed" her like the other townspeople, it would get her powers.)

I just remembered Lucas's little sister. Yeah, she is extremely annoying, but I think that's the whole point, not that being a girl makes her better than everyone else. The lesbian "reveal" is so inconsequential that it seems like something they decided to throw in at the last minute, and it affects exactly nothing, except maybe for Steve's love life. Big deal.

Quote:Also, how did no one notice that the show went from having the government in the original MKULTRA being the villains(S1), to the government being good guys now trying to help (S1), to now the bad guys being the evil Russians? And, cherry on top, a WASP corrupt politician who ‘colludes’ with the Russians to help them do bad things in America? Clear orange man bad stuff here.

Yeah, you're really reaching with this. The US government doesn't exactly come across as great here, they basically show up after the protagonists save the day to mop up Soviet extras. If anything, a persistent theme of this show seems to be that you can't rely on the government (national or local) to fix your problems.

I don't feel bad for the mayor either, I never got the impression he was supposed to be Trump. If anything, I thought his character was evocative of corrupt, sleazy villains in movies like Robocop.

Quote:It’s funny someone above said this is a family oriented show, when every father figure in the show is bad (I mean, in one of the corny flashbacks, you see the new villain’s father punching his mom in the face – you actually see it twice because they do that flashback twice, because the audience is supposed to be low IQ – and then basically they present his villainy as a result of toxic masculinity from his dad) – they are either bad, or stupid, or incompetent, or something.

Wrong. The best thing about Hopper is that he's actually interesting as a father figure to Eleven. He clearly loves her, and is strong enough to protect her (as the first two season make abundantly clear.) His struggle with his daughter's adolescence felt extremely real because as a guy who's adept at cracking skulls, he's not sure how to deal with her growing up, and his letter at the end was just great. This all gets dropped for the middle of the season where Hopper is sort of a doofus, but the parts related to his relationship with Eleven were good.

Yes, Billy's dad is a jerkass, but his mom also abandoned him, so he's coming from a pretty bad family situation all around, and it's just as much his mom's fault, even if he remembers her more positively. Mike's dad falls asleep with his daughter, and rides on a ferris wheel. He's a bit of a dork, but I've seen far worse. Don't remember seeing anybody else's dad this season.

Quote:I will stress again the tastelessness of everything (from the story, the actor direction, the dialogue, the music)... they are always either on the brink of bursting into tears or into laughter - because, again, no taste, just emotional incontinence. There are animes more realistic than this stuff. Are people really that braindead they cannot notice how debased and dumbed down it has become? ...catering to the lowest common denominator: the average shot must be 30 seconds, designed to keep the attention of fresh water fish and current day phone-addicts... I guess money spoke louder here and they would rather appeal to the same kind of people who love blockbusters... Because of this orgy of bad taste that is reminiscent of everything else in our culture, the 80s nostalgia is gone from the show –it just feels like another over the top, tasteless, low IQ current-day nonsense.

Whatever dude. All of this is completely subjective ranting. The show had some problems, but The Last Jedi it isn't. They decided to go for a different style and feel for S3 and if you prefer the dark, somber atmosphere of the first season I get it, but that doesn't make S3 bad by default. It's a big and sometimes dumb spectacle but so was a lot of the stuff that influenced the show. It's supposed to be fun and sometimes over the top, with the occasional poignant moment, and they mostly got it right.

RE: Netflix Thread - ilostabet - 07-08-2019 08:25 AM

I disagree on the propaganda part. I could watch it again to note down every single instance, but since it's so tasteless, I doubt I ever will.

The other part, regarding style and form, to each his own. Having worked in television and seeing how the sausage is made, I can recognize template writing, directing and editing - and this it is (the structure, as I said, is basically modeled after CSI and copied across the board by pretty much every show now). While the first had carefully constructed cinematography, and the second still tried to, the new season is just formula through and through, from the panning shots to the french horn ominous tone.

There's good over the top (like ConAir I guess), and there's just formula over the top, which this was.

In the end it's just entertainment, but it annoyed me because I really liked the first season and thought the second still was ok. In a way I should be thankful because as someone above said watching fagflix is bad for you regardless of good cinematography.

RE: Netflix Thread - perro - 07-08-2019 09:21 AM

This is what I'm watching right now.

"When they see us"

Story about the 1989 Central Park Five case.

RE: Netflix Thread - TigerMandingo - 07-08-2019 10:19 AM

Stranger Things?

More like Soy Things.

Turn that shit off.

RE: Netflix Thread - Captainstabbin - 07-08-2019 10:43 AM

(07-08-2019 03:18 AM)ilostabet Wrote:  ...every moment is cranked up to 11 as if everyone is in a constant state of cocaine overdose.

I see what you did there.

What is the salary of a small town police chief in the 80s? My smallish town chief lives in a Mcmansion but Hopper lives in a shack and always seems broke. 11 can't be that expensive.

Suzie insisting on that song is what gets Hopper killed. He would have lived if they got to the keys 2 minutes earlier. I get that they took a risk to insert one last bit of fun before the hammer fell and I did laugh, but it was really shoehorned in the scene. I liked them showing how inaccessible information was before smartphones.

How was Hopper suddenly able to outfight a hyped-up super soldier who was shown choking a man to death by lifting him with one hand Darth Vader-style?

The newsroom characters were ridiculous. There might have been a handful of companies in all of the US with such exaggerated sexism, but it's presented as an average working environment for a young woman. YET they got right the idea that a summer intern thinks she deserves to be treated as a seasoned reporter. That's the common attitude of modern women in the workplace, I have to deal with it all the time.

RE: Netflix Thread - HermeticAlly - 07-08-2019 10:47 AM

No doubt that Netflix in general is trash. I don't pay for the service and never will. I might not mind The Agenda in almost everything if they had old shows I actually wanted to watch, but they don't even have that.

RE: Netflix Thread - Malone - 07-08-2019 10:50 AM

(07-08-2019 10:43 AM)Captainstabbin Wrote:  Suzie insisting on that song is what gets Hopper killed.

He's not dead. No body, not dead.

The post-credits scene has one of the Soviet guards imply that they took him prisoner and dragged him to Kamchatka.

We'll see him in Season 4.

As for season 3, I loved it. I'm pretty propaganda sensitive but my hackles didn't go up. Lucas's little sister wasn't a strong wahmen trope, it was the precocious little kid trope.

RE: Netflix Thread - Captainstabbin - 07-08-2019 11:12 AM

(07-08-2019 10:50 AM)Malone Wrote:  As for season 3, I loved it. I'm pretty propaganda sensitive but my hackles didn't go up. Lucas's little sister wasn't a strong wahmen trope, it was the precocious little kid trope.

I think the reflex is to shit all over something at even the slightest misstep. The season wasn't the same as the first in either tone or creativity. But the kids are growing up, Millie Bobby Brown looks like she's in her mid 20s, they can't realistically play children anymore.

I liked parts of the show. I hated that they separated Dustin from the rest of the group. That's where the chemistry is, those original 3 guys (Will spent most of the 1st season in the Upside Down).

I agree with what ilostabet said about the fathers on the show, they're either abusive, absent or so boring that they appear narcoleptic. Even Hopper, who isn't directly abusive to 11, keeps her in a shack in the woods and won't let her be seen in public.

I liked how the moms had no idea where their kids were, seemed realistic for the time.

Overall, it might have slipped from the first season, but it didn't fall anywhere near as far as GOT.

RE: Netflix Thread - la bodhisattva - 07-08-2019 11:26 AM

While the newsroom antics were over the top, I don't think it related at all to the "patriarchy."

Just a few observations:

Nancy says how much they respect Jonathan and treat her like crap. Jonathan was shown to already be a gifted photographer and kept his head down and worked hard. At 17, and showing that much talent and humbleness, of course the veterans reporters would respect him.

Nancy is also 17. I don't recall the series ever mentioning how well she writes. Even so, good writers don't necessarily make good reporters, and vice versa. Again, she's 17, fresh out of high school, not Medill or even the local journalism school. She struts in like she's Bob Woodward and is aghast when the men laugh her off. Jonathan gave her some rather red-pilled advice for a netflix show - the world is difficult and not everyone is going to fawn over you for nothing. It's time to be more than "pretty" Nancy Wheeler to have the world presented to you on a silver platter.

And last, and I think the biggest counter to the sexism trope....Nancy asks if one of the other girls could get lunch (why she automatically cast the other females in the office as "girls" to fetch lunch is terribly sexist of her). The boss they are needed at their desks doing more important things. It all comes down to Nancy being the least valuable person in the newsroom.

RE: Netflix Thread - RoastBeefCurtains4Me - 07-08-2019 08:52 PM

I'm watching a documentary series called Myths and Monsters. It's about the way various fictional monsters and character types have roots in European and other ancient civilizations. Very interesting.

It's hard to find good documentaries. So many on History channel and the like are aimed at the lowest common denominator. They recap the show very heavily on each intro and outro for each commercial break, because they assume their viewers will forget the key points otherwise. This is a more intelligent documentary, and I've found a number of other good ones.

At first, it was hard to get Netflix to recommend good documentaries. It's system is based on finding things similar to what you've already watched. Now I get tons of recommendations for interesting documentaries, but I'm having trouble getting it to suggest offbeat movies that I'd like, but haven't seen yet. I know there are tons of movies I'd be interested in, but without something to bring them to mind, I don't think of them.

RE: Netflix Thread - Captainstabbin - 07-08-2019 10:23 PM

(07-08-2019 08:52 PM)RoastBeefCurtains4Me Wrote:  I'm watching a documentary series called Myths and Monsters. It's about the way various fictional monsters and character types have roots in European and other ancient civilizations. Very interesting.

It's hard to find good documentaries. So many on History channel and the like are aimed at the lowest common denominator. They recap the show very heavily on each intro and outro for each commercial break, because they assume their viewers will forget the key points otherwise. This is a more intelligent documentary, and I've found a number of other good ones.

It's also because they have to stretch 20 minutes of material to a 60+ minute runtime. Drives me insane! Just make it a half hour show.