Roosh V Forum
What basics are needed for 1-2 days camping? - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://www.rooshvforum.com)
+-- Forum: Main (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Travel (/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: What basics are needed for 1-2 days camping? (/thread-73843.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

What basics are needed for 1-2 days camping? - Roosh - 08-08-2019 02:10 PM

I'm traveling through the sparse Western part of the United States where reasonable lodging is very expensive. I paid over $200 a night for a basic motel near the Black Hills (during Sturgis) and Yellowstone lodging starts at $250 a night. If I wanted to camp outside in a park near my car, what is the absolute minimum that I need?

My guess:

-Sleeping bag
-Foam pad for sleeping bag
-Small tent (in case it rains)
-Pillow
-Flashlight / reading light
-Camping chair/stool
-First aid kit?
-Small battery pack (for phone)

I have all the other travel accessories with my main pack.

I've camped maybe twice in 20 years. What do I do about toilet (number 2) in a place like Yellowstone? Can I go off into the woods and do my business or should I use designated toilets?

RE: What basics are needed for 1-2 days camping? - travolta - 08-08-2019 02:15 PM

-tent
-sleeping bag
-sleeping pad (with no sleeping pad you might get cold very fast)
-It's a good idea to bring an extra water bottle in case you have to piss. It's annoying if you wake up in the middle of the night and have to put on shoes to go outside and piss.
-Tarp or footprint to put under your tent in case it rains
-Bring a small shovel if you have to shit. Bury a hole, shit in the hole and cover it when you're finished. Leave as little trace as possible

RE: What basics are needed for 1-2 days camping? - BBinger - 08-08-2019 02:27 PM

(08-08-2019 02:10 PM)Roosh Wrote:  I'm traveling through the sparse Western part of the United States where reasonable lodging is very expensive. I paid over $200 a night for a basic motel and Yellowstone lodging starts at $250 a night. If I wanted to camp outside in a park near my car, what is the absolute minimum that I need?

My guess:

-Sleeping bag
-Small tent (in case it rains)
-Pillow
-Flashlight / reading light
-Camping chair/stool
-First aid kit?
-Small battery pack (for phone)

I have all the other travel accessories with my main pack.

I've camped maybe twice in 20 years. What do I do about toilet (number 2) in a place like Yellowstone? Can I go off into the woods and do my business or should I use designated toilets?

A stove is the big thing I see missing. Burn bans are a thing out west, and camp stove coffee is much easier to pull off than campfire coffee. A single burner coleman "dual-fuel" is ideal if you aren't wandering too far from the car, burns normal automotive gas. Otherwise there's the butane canister stoves.

RE: What basics are needed for 1-2 days camping? - RawGod - 08-08-2019 02:32 PM

A Norman Bates style motel is $200 these days? Damn. Well, don't forget plenty of water, and moist tissues for cleanups in the wild.

RE: What basics are needed for 1-2 days camping? - Roosh - 08-08-2019 02:33 PM

Quote:A stove is the big thing I see missing. Burn bans are a thing out west, and camp stove coffee is much easier to pull off than campfire coffee. A single burner coleman "dual-fuel" is ideal if you aren't wandering too far from the car, burns normal automotive gas. Otherwise there's the butane canister stoves.

No need. I have a cooler and from that I eat mostly vegetables, bagel sandwiches, nuts, etc. I can go without cooked food for a day or two.

RE: What basics are needed for 1-2 days camping? - Roosh - 08-08-2019 02:34 PM

(08-08-2019 02:32 PM)RawGod Wrote:  A Norman Bates style motel is $200 these days? Damn. Well, don't forget plenty of water, and moist tissues for cleanups in the wild.

Usually they're much chepaer (under $80), but its peak season and I'm encountering depopulated territory.

RE: What basics are needed for 1-2 days camping? - balybary - 08-08-2019 03:29 PM

A headlamp is usefull to do manual activities in the dark.

RE: What basics are needed for 1-2 days camping? - Spectrumwalker - 08-08-2019 03:29 PM

For taking a doodoo I recccomend going in the woods for the full experience. I got something called a texsport folding toilet. It's just a seat and some folding legs. I think I got it for like 15 bucks off amazon. Or the real cheap option is to get a 5 gallon bucket, flit it upside down, take a knife cut the bottom out and bam...instant shitter. Find like a cheap shovel or something to dig and bury your holes.

Also, it's a bit on the pricey side at like 145 bucks, but I recccomend something called a Zodi camp shower. It's worth every penny. I have one, and if it broke and I couldn't fix it I'd buy one in again in a heartbeat. It takes a one gallon propane bottle, and it comes with a water reservoirs and water pump. You need four D cell batteries for the pump. But yeah, just drop the pump in, ignite and you got yourself a hot shower.

Edit* if you're in a national park and you find yourself with neighbors and there's facilities better off using them I suppose. If not, make sure to smile and wave to everyone as you're sittin on your five gallon bucket.

RE: What basics are needed for 1-2 days camping? - RIslander - 08-08-2019 03:34 PM

Get a National Parks Pass. It'll run you $140 but it's unlimited access to 2,000 or so parks. Most parks out west have an honor system for camping which is ~15/night via a drop box. Considering your desire for silence and nature you would get a lot out of it. SD, MT, WY, CA have some amazing parks where all you will hear are birds and coyotes. You often meet interesting people in these places who value the rural and wilderness lifestyle.

https://www.usparkpass.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwkK_qBRD8ARIsAOteukDsCBCBGRO4E4C5j_hoVOZgpkBRmSHoMbpzjESsb5js05KVG​ZHN9osaArFeEALw_wcB

Other items:

Twice as much water as you expect you will need.
Pocket knife.
Two flashlights. Preferably a heavy MagLight that could be used in self defense as well.
Fire making supplies and research how to make one efficiently on Youtube.
Toilet paper. Most parks have public use toilets but no paper.
Camping shower. You're going to be dirty and sweaty all the time in summer weather. Some parks have coin operated showers. https://www.amazon.com/VIGLT-Gallons-Heating-Removable-Traveling/dp/B07RBSF5MH/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=camping+shower&qid=1565296644&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

Does the rear seat in your car fold down? You can use padding and blankets to get a flat surface and sleep in the trunk/back seat comfortably. Not ideal but its free.

I've camped for a decade out west so hit me up if you need any advice.

RE: What basics are needed for 1-2 days camping? - mbare - 08-08-2019 03:38 PM

Knife, multi tool, 550 cord, fire starting material/equipment, rain gear, maybe bear spray depending on where you camp, battery powered lantern, baby wipes for your body and for doing your business.

RE: What basics are needed for 1-2 days camping? - PapayaTapper - 08-08-2019 04:00 PM

Sun shower.

Years ago I used to deer hunt from a primitive camp site. I hate cold showers so a sun shower was the best single "comfort" purchase I ever made. Youll be amazed how well they work, I know I was

[Image: 51j%2BxqDz9KL._SL1000_.jpg]

RE: What basics are needed for 1-2 days camping? - Sam Malone - 08-08-2019 04:16 PM

Portable batteries (to charge your phone). A couple of the $5 ones from places like Five Below are fine.

If you've got a gym membership, you can use the facilities in the morning to shower/shit/shine/shave/shampoo.

Someone (that you can trust) that knows where you're parking and/or camping for the night, and ping them in the morning that you're up and ok.

RE: What basics are needed for 1-2 days camping? - Laner - 08-08-2019 04:39 PM

One to two days camping you can do with nothing. I had a buddy who used to bring just an oversized pillow and booze.

Make it enjoyable though. Bring a small, simple tent. A vestibule where you can keep your shoes and wet gear is very handy. A sleeping mat at least 2.5cm thick is great, especially if you have a wet morning and want to read for a while. A basic sleeping bag is better than a blanket. Lined bags are more comfortable, but are larger. The lining is nice and if you sleep naked or near naked like me, unlined bags can get sticky. Get a cheap LED lantern that can hang from the tent.

A small single burner stove can be had for cheap. If it hooks up to disposable propane bottles it gives you hot coffee in the mornings and lets you cook rice - and if there is a fire ban - lets you fry meat if you can't cook over coals. Food itself for one guy is simple things like sausage, garlic and vegetables with a chunk of butter and wrapped in foil.

Water: Bring lots of it. If have have room get one or two 4L containers. Or bigger, its never a problem having too much water if you have the space. Small town markets often have purified water stations inside where you can fill big containers for a few dollars. I like water out of old pipes, so I love using Park wells. Pumping water from deep inside the earth is the best. Just writing that I can taste the tingle of minerals on my tongue.

Other items: Ax. The single most useful tool if shit goes wrong. Closely followed by a Leatherman or similar multi tool. A headlamp is great and something I would never camp without. I like having a folding chair as well. A cowboy hat out west is great to keep the strong sun off your neck and face. A fishing rod gives you something to do and you can hike with it easily. Fishing is the most basic of meditations as well. A good pair of sturdy shoes or boots. Out west, boots are best but shoes are fine too, all depending on what kind of hiking. All campers have a pack of cards. From playing solitaire to big games of bridge or Euchre with other campers, cards are a staple. Books. I bring an easy drinking bottle of whiskey, which in remote places with no one around can be the difference between laying in your tent unsure of the strange man down road, or getting to know the only other person for miles around. Cigarettes or small cigars are good for this too. Matches and lighter are obvious, but should be said. I always bring a tarp and lot of rope. Bring more rope than you need, its cheap and tucks away well so why not. I have never traveled with a bear banger or bear spray but I grew up in a region with more bears than humans so don't see them as a big threat. Although this year they seem more aggressive than any other time in my life so I might as I have a family.

From here on things get more luxurious. A couple deep cycle golf cart batteries hooked to a solar panel. A camera and batteries. Tripod. A tube for floating on the lakes and rivers. A small cooler for a six pack and ice. A BBQ. A hanging shower. Baby wipes. A radio.

The most important are the basics and the sense of adventure. The more remote the spot, the more important things like water become. Some campgrounds in parks are more like heavy foliaged trailer parks with hundreds of kids running around. Stay clear of RV parks as they pack those things in wall to wall and people usually are inside watching netflix by the time the mosquitos come out.

RE: What basics are needed for 1-2 days camping? - budoslavic - 08-08-2019 04:56 PM

My comments in bold below.

Quote:-Sleeping bag

-Foam pad for sleeping bag

-Small tent (in case it rains) - Make sure the tent is waterproof. If not, there should be a rain cover that's included with the tent. Also, you can buy an affordable waterproof tarp at Home Depot to place it on the ground for the tent so it won't be wet when sleeping, sitting, etc. during the rainstorm.

-Pillow

-Flashlight / reading light I would recommend buying a LED Lantern. I own a couple of battery-operated LED Lanterns; I've been pretty happy with it.

-Camping chair/stool

-First aid kit? Yes, this is a must-have when camping.

-Small battery pack (for phone) Or a better alternative is to look for a battery charger case. Lugging the battery pack around was a pain in the neck when I had used it over the years. Annoyed, I switched over to buying a battery charger case. I've been happy with it so far. As for the battery pack, I use it as a backup when the battery case's power run out on an international trip.

I've camped maybe twice in 20 years. What do I do about toilet (number 2) in a place like Yellowstone? Can I go off into the woods and do my business or should I use designated toilets? First, check the campground's website for information. Usually it will contain a lot of details and answers to your questions including a map, which is important to know. Otherwise, if no information is available, then that means using a shovel to dig a hole to take a dump in, do what you have to do once you find a spot and cover the hole with dirt. I had done it many times with my backpacking group. Harsh winter conditions weren't fun.

Since you are in Colorado, check out Sierra Trading Post (STP) for camping gear. There are a couple of STP stores around you. (I don't know if the prices in the stores are the same as online.) I buy a lot of my camp-related stuff through STP online because their prices are reasonable and affordable.

Other random camp-related stuff to consider:
* Swiss Army Knife (multi-tool)

* insect/mosquito repellent(s) and accessories (i.e., candles, lanterns, repellent spray, etc.).

* folding side table

* if you start to feel uncomfortable sleeping on the ground, consider a cot

* rain jacket (waterproof)

* towelettes/wipes when taking a dump in the wild

* ear plugs in case if you are surrounded by noisy campers

Edit. Just realized that Home Depot also sells LED Lanterns and clip-on/clamp (for flashlight). Prices are pretty reasonable.

Edit II. Roosh's Babylon Road video is going to get more interesting. lol

RE: What basics are needed for 1-2 days camping? - RIslander - 08-08-2019 05:13 PM

Considering you need electricity on the road this is a reasonably priced and great product.

https://www.amazon.com/Halo-Portable-Laptop-Charger-Starter/dp/B079FSPRXM/ref=sr_1_19?crid=2DTQMNB323JCC&keywords=ac+dc+battery+power+bank&qid=1565302037&s=gateway&sprefix=ac+dc+batter%2Caps%2C134&sr=8-19

It'll keep your shit charged up and has built in jumper cables and flash light all for $120. You can charge it with 12V DC from your cigarette lighter or with AC from an outlet.

RE: What basics are needed for 1-2 days camping? - budoslavic - 08-08-2019 05:32 PM

(08-08-2019 05:13 PM)RIslander Wrote:  Considering you need electricity on the road this is a reasonably priced and great product.

https://www.amazon.com/Halo-Portable-Laptop-Charger-Starter/dp/B079FSPRXM/ref=sr_1_19?crid=2DTQMNB323JCC&keywords=ac+dc+battery+power+bank&qid=1565302037&s=gateway&sprefix=ac+dc+batter%2Caps%2C134&sr=8-19

It'll keep your shit charged up and has built in jumper cables and flash light all for $120. You can charge it with 12V DC from your cigarette lighter or with AC from an outlet.

Totally forgot about this. And wholeheartedly agreed!

A few years ago, I bought this for my vehicle as a backup to jump start my battery. The nice thing about It is that it has a USB port to quickly recharge my phone and other portable electronic devices.

RE: What basics are needed for 1-2 days camping? - RexImperator - 08-08-2019 05:45 PM

When I was 26 I drove across the US and camped out mostly in National Parks when in the west. I highly recommend it. What a great experience.

Most of what I’ve seen people mention already were very good suggestion covering the essentials.

Toilet Paper
Paper towels
Water (important in dry/desert areas) keep at least 5 gallons on hand, preferably 10. You can buy big containers in Walmart and fill them, or just buy gallon jugs.
Liquid Soap
Towel
Headlamp or Lantern (hands-free, not just a flashlight)
Shovel or preferably: entrenching tool
(From an Army Surplus store or like this: https://www.coldsteel.com/spetsnaz-shovel.html)
Knife
Cutting Board
Fork, Spoon
I also loved having a little propane/butane stove and a cast iron skillet with me.
Pot and/or canteen cup for boiling water, making coffee, oatmeal, or pasta, etc.
Firesteel/matches/lighter
Optional/fun: Charcoal briquettes and grate (for grilling)
Cooler for food
Basic first aid kit
National Parks yearly pass (pays for itself quickly)

PS- In Death Valley it will be too hot to sleep this time of year. The ground retains a lot of heat, even well after sunset.

RE: What basics are needed for 1-2 days camping? - Hypno - 08-08-2019 06:55 PM

Please don’t crap in the national parks. I mean cmon man. There are facilities. If you are in the back country dig a hole at least 6 inches deep.

Get yourself a bear proof container. Or at least a bag with a rope and toss your food over a high limb. Keep your food and trash a good distance from where you sleep.

Consider buying some bear spray.

Read and understand Leave no trace behind and the hikers code.
https://www.outdoors.org/conservation/trails/hike-safe

At Yellowstone, check out the old faithful hotel. Prismatic spring. Also, there is a naturally heated swimming hole where people swim, think it’s called fire river. Sort of near prismatic

Nearby is Grand Tetons national park. Better than Yellowstone in my opinion.

Next to that is Jackson Hole ski resort. Worth taking the lift to the top for the view and to have a drink.

RE: What basics are needed for 1-2 days camping? - BlackFriar - 08-08-2019 07:10 PM

Roosh, you can get all of that stuff at walmart. Especially everything made by Ozark Trail. They make everything. Look into buying an all weather pop up tent. Buy a decent knife too. Try to find a Gerber Gator folding knife. Buck also makes some decent cheap folders for like 20-30 bucks.

RE: What basics are needed for 1-2 days camping? - BlackFriar - 08-08-2019 07:23 PM

Borrow handfulls of knapkins from gas stations too. Use them for toilet paper.

I had a black handled version of this knife before. But I lost it.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Buck-Knives-0285CMS11WM1-Bantam-Knife-White-Clam/28403768

You can always get a Spiderco folding knife. The ones at walmart qre made in China. But they are good knives.

Do not get anything with a serrated edge either. Those are junk.

RE: What basics are needed for 1-2 days camping? - RIslander - 08-08-2019 07:34 PM

(08-08-2019 07:23 PM)BlackFriar Wrote:  Borrow handfulls of knapkins from gas stations too. Use them for toilet paper.

Borrow? I don't think they're going to want their napkins back.

RE: What basics are needed for 1-2 days camping? - TooFineAPoint - 08-08-2019 10:29 PM

(08-08-2019 04:39 PM)Laner Wrote:  One to two days camping you can do with nothing. I had a buddy who used to bring just an oversized pillow and booze.

Make it enjoyable though. Bring a small, simple tent. A vestibule where you can keep your shoes and wet gear is very handy. A sleeping mat at least 2.5cm thick is great, especially if you have a wet morning and want to read for a while. A basic sleeping bag is better than a blanket. Lined bags are more comfortable, but are larger. The lining is nice and if you sleep naked or near naked like me, unlined bags can get sticky. Get a cheap LED lantern that can hang from the tent.

A small single burner stove can be had for cheap. If it hooks up to disposable propane bottles it gives you hot coffee in the mornings and lets you cook rice - and if there is a fire ban - lets you fry meat if you can't cook over coals. Food itself for one guy is simple things like sausage, garlic and vegetables with a chunk of butter and wrapped in foil.

Water: Bring lots of it. If have have room get one or two 4L containers. Or bigger, its never a problem having too much water if you have the space. Small town markets often have purified water stations inside where you can fill big containers for a few dollars. I like water out of old pipes, so I love using Park wells. Pumping water from deep inside the earth is the best. Just writing that I can taste the tingle of minerals on my tongue.

Other items: Ax. The single most useful tool if shit goes wrong. Closely followed by a Leatherman or similar multi tool. A headlamp is great and something I would never camp without. I like having a folding chair as well. A cowboy hat out west is great to keep the strong sun off your neck and face. A fishing rod gives you something to do and you can hike with it easily. Fishing is the most basic of meditations as well. A good pair of sturdy shoes or boots. Out west, boots are best but shoes are fine too, all depending on what kind of hiking. All campers have a pack of cards. From playing solitaire to big games of bridge or Euchre with other campers, cards are a staple. Books. I bring an easy drinking bottle of whiskey, which in remote places with no one around can be the difference between laying in your tent unsure of the strange man down road, or getting to know the only other person for miles around. Cigarettes or small cigars are good for this too. Matches and lighter are obvious, but should be said. I always bring a tarp and lot of rope. Bring more rope than you need, its cheap and tucks away well so why not. I have never traveled with a bear banger or bear spray but I grew up in a region with more bears than humans so don't see them as a big threat. Although this year they seem more aggressive than any other time in my life so I might as I have a family.

Laner nailed it!

My list would be (because you are presumably near towns and are just replacing motels for the night, so don't need much):
- small tent
- sleeping bag
- firm pillow (drove me nuts to camp with rolled up clothes / backpack as pillow, just bring a real one)
- headlamp
- multitool
- water
- food

RE: What basics are needed for 1-2 days camping? - Luther - 08-08-2019 11:22 PM

Had to chime in about all the posts on hanging shower bags. Not needed or the most practical. All you need is a cheap garden watering can. Lift can up with one arm and dose yourself, lather, lift can up and rinse off. You get better volume of water/pressure than a shower bag and no stupid cheap shut off valve.
Take it from a guy who's currently living in a cabin in the bush with no plumbing, since may. And I promise my ass don't stink.
Definitely get the headlight though. I've worked many hrs in the dark with no other light source.

RE: What basics are needed for 1-2 days camping? - Kelent - 08-08-2019 11:43 PM

(08-08-2019 03:34 PM)RIslander Wrote:  Get a National Parks Pass. It'll run you $140 but it's unlimited access to 2,000 or so parks. Most parks out west have an honor system for camping which is ~15/night via a drop box. Considering your desire for silence and nature you would get a lot out of it. SD, MT, WY, CA have some amazing parks where all you will hear are birds and coyotes. You often meet interesting people in these places who value the rural and wilderness lifestyle.

https://www.usparkpass.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwkK_qBRD8ARIsAOteukDsCBCBGRO4E4C5j_hoVOZgpkBRmSHoMbpzjESsb5js05KVG​ZHN9osaArFeEALw_wcB

Other items:

Twice as much water as you expect you will need.
Pocket knife.
Two flashlights. Preferably a heavy MagLight that could be used in self defense as well.
Fire making supplies and research how to make one efficiently on Youtube.
Toilet paper. Most parks have public use toilets but no paper.
Camping shower. You're going to be dirty and sweaty all the time in summer weather. Some parks have coin operated showers. https://www.amazon.com/VIGLT-Gallons-Heating-Removable-Traveling/dp/B07RBSF5MH/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=camping+shower&qid=1565296644&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

Does the rear seat in your car fold down? You can use padding and blankets to get a flat surface and sleep in the trunk/back seat comfortably. Not ideal but its free.

I've camped for a decade out west so hit me up if you need any advice.

Don't know how exactly we managed this but my family when we were in Utah were I think trying to go to the Grand Canyon or Zion and they asked us if we wanted to buy the pass on entry (we already had a normal day pass iirc). Point is- best thing we did that whole trip. We drove through the area all the way from Utah to Phoenix. I'll never forget that road trip Big Grin

Oh- I also forgot if nobody mentioned it bring a bear bag if bears are a problem in the area. Doesn't matter if your food is in a car, if your door or trunk is open they'll get into it in the night- or try to. I had a few bears try to scare my Scout troop when someone forgot to put their snacks in a bear bag... it was a fun night for us older scouts.

RE: What basics are needed for 1-2 days camping? - burncushlikewood - 08-09-2019 05:16 AM

portable speakers to blast dem jams, also a table if you're planning on playing any drinking games if thats your thing. Get the george foreman out for some portable grilling, bring some propane. I dont know if you can have a fire where you're going but bring some firewood if its legal. bring some bug repellant stuff and bear spray.