Roosh V Forum
Are GaryVee and other overly casually dressed tech celebs actors? - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://www.rooshvforum.com)
+-- Forum: Main (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Everything Else (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Are GaryVee and other overly casually dressed tech celebs actors? (/thread-74675.html)

Are GaryVee and other overly casually dressed tech celebs actors? - SomeOneSomeWhere - 02-03-2020 12:15 PM

I have yet to see a white guy go anywhere if he doesn't dress like a business professional.

Now these people are part of the chosen, but I have a hard time believing any clown world rah rah at this point.

To me it's a carrot dangling infront of guys looking for a way out to make them think they can succeed within the clown world system with marketing agency number 1001, learning tech through one of the paid predatory avenues of the chosen (udacity, bootcamps, openclassrooms etc.) or with a startup funded by predatory chosen people.

Basically the clown world version of war time propaganda during a losing battle to keep soldiers fighting.

Thoughts?

RE: Are GaryVee and other overly casually dressed tech celebs actors? - Captain Gh - 02-03-2020 01:24 PM

Damn you're REACHING on this one! MJ DeMarco is one, then you've got autors like JK Rowling & Tucker Max who made plenty! A LOT is Clown World... but not ALL!

RE: Are GaryVee and other overly casually dressed tech celebs actors? - Genghis Khan - 02-03-2020 01:26 PM

Don't overthink it. Overly casual in a slob manner is dress code in Silicon Valley.

RE: Are GaryVee and other overly casually dressed tech celebs actors? - thedream - 02-03-2020 01:29 PM

(02-03-2020 01:26 PM)Genghis Khan Wrote:  Don't overthink it. Overly casual in a slob manner is dress code in Silicon Valley.

Truth. The casual dress is not an indicator that he's an actor. So many people in SV/tech hubs dress exactly that way.

RE: Are GaryVee and other overly casually dressed tech celebs actors? - Laner - 02-03-2020 02:08 PM

To run with it a bit, would it not be beneficial to have 'slob culture' be not just the norm, but also the trend?

Imagine if silicone valley was men suited down and every break they were in the gyms lifting and then hanging out at the snack bar after putting back mad g's of protein.

The frumpy diversity hires in HR with the blue hair and tattoo sleeves would never stand a chance. They would get triggered out on their ass. These cultural destroyers need a soy army, and much of being under their thumb is looking - and feeling - like shit.

RE: Are GaryVee and other overly casually dressed tech celebs actors? - Muffuguh - 02-03-2020 02:20 PM

Had to look him up and agree that the Boomer Pretending to be a Millennial shtick is annoying.

However in tech, dressing and speaking like this is the norm, sometimes even at exec level. Had a customer the other day say he wouldn't trust an organisation where people whose technology he's considering buying show up in a suit and tie.

(02-03-2020 12:15 PM)SomeOneSomeWhere Wrote:  I have yet to see a white guy go anywhere if he doesn't dress like a business professional.

Now these people are part of the chosen, but I have a hard time believing any clown world rah rah at this point.

To me it's a carrot dangling infront of guys looking for a way out to make them think they can succeed within the clown world system with marketing agency number 1001, learning tech through one of the paid predatory avenues of the chosen (udacity, bootcamps, openclassrooms etc.) or with a startup funded by predatory chosen people.

Basically the clown world version of war time propaganda during a losing battle to keep soldiers fighting.

Thoughts?

RE: Are GaryVee and other overly casually dressed tech celebs actors? - Nineteen84 - 02-03-2020 02:24 PM

Are GaryVee and other overly casually dressed tech celebs actors?

An interesting way to put it. I'd say yes, sort of - for the marketing types at least. They dress casually to appeal to and create rapport with their desired audience/ demographic. It's all intentional.

I consider most of that stuff to be just motivational speaking / infotainment/ fantasizing that steals from the time you could spend doing things.

All the information you need to actually get where you want to go is free. It's action that's the problem for most people.

RE: Are GaryVee and other overly casually dressed tech celebs actors? - RoastBeefCurtains4Me - 02-03-2020 02:47 PM

I'm an engineer, and we dress casual at work. Usually blue jeans, with a mix of button up shirts and pull overs, and athletic shoes or hikers. Tshirts are common. I've worked with engineers from a variety of other subcontracting companies, and I've found this to be the rule generally. I've heard that people on the east coast are more likely to have a dress code calling for slacks and a dress shirt or polo, but I think tech people generally are able to dress casually at work.

RE: Are GaryVee and other overly casually dressed tech celebs actors? - The Catalyst - 02-03-2020 06:15 PM

I think they are likely actors but not for that reason.

RE: Are GaryVee and other overly casually dressed tech celebs actors? - Easy_C - 02-03-2020 06:38 PM

No. The reason it looks fake is because it is fake and it’s a power play. The entire reason you dress up nicely for work is to make a good impression. Those of you all who have done job interviews....who is usually the best dressed person there?

You. The job seeker. Because you need to make a good impression. The interviewers will be wearing business casual or less because they do NOT need to make a good impression.

That’s why they do this. It’s intended to communicate to lawyers, bankers, etc. the message that “I am so much more important than you that I am not obligated to give a shit” and thus imply that you have all the power in the room.

Keep in mind I’m speaking of a world adjacent to my own that we semi-frequently interact with. I know of what I speak here.

There’s some other reasons that play into it such as “personal branding” but much of that comes back to the dynamic I just described. The other component that doesn’t is that the “cool dude” persona is good for attracting gullible tech bro employees from MIT/CalTech/GT who you can then dramatically underpay because they’re part of something VISIONARY BRAH!!

There is a huge deep state impact but people tend to read a bit too much into it. By the time it hits the tech bros the tech is deliberately being introduced into the consumer market. More often than not it’s just that these are rich kids who, by virtue of being rich kids, have the right connections to know about new tech releases and get involved with the companies/VCs early in their life cycle.

RE: Are GaryVee and other overly casually dressed tech celebs actors? - TooFineAPoint - 02-04-2020 03:17 AM

Like him or not, Gary V cut his teeth with Wine Library TV many years ago. He did something like 1000 videos, opening some of the best wines in the world, when youtube was brand new.

Each of the early comments were some variation of "kill yourself" or "you are an idiot".

At around the 40 video mark, he started getting some positive comments.

By the 100 mark it was mostly positive comments.

That was when he was basically working on the family business.

Yes, he currently parrots millennial slogans like "live your truth" and "fire!", but that is mainly who his audience is now (plus it seems to me he actually talks/thinks like this).

The guy paid his dues and put in incredible hard work, consistently, over and over. He is really on top of internet trends. Ask anyone deep in the wine world, and even if they don't like him they still all admire what he did. So he is on successful career #3 right now.

Not everyone who is more successful than you* is there because of a conspiracy.

*you being anyone reading this who thinks that way

RE: Are GaryVee and other overly casually dressed tech celebs actors? - redbeard - 02-04-2020 07:37 AM

The main reason famous people dress like slobs is to relate with their audience.

"He wears Converses and says the f bomb? He's just like me!"

It's a shtick, and it works. Average Joe's all over the world are starting "side hustles" and talking about "grinding" thanks to Gary.

The problem is that 99% of his audience will fail. I like Gary, and he has some good things to say, but this is the honest truth.

The saddest part of these internet entrepreneurs is that they're a symptom of our economic & cultural climate. They wouldn't exist if the job market was better and everyone was making $1k more a month. They wouldn't exist if everyone was getting married and having babies.

People are looking for answers, and he's providing one.

RE: Are GaryVee and other overly casually dressed tech celebs actors? - HermeticAlly - 02-04-2020 07:55 AM

I don't know if he's fake or not, but what I can say is that I find this foul-mouthed Gary Vee guy extremely annoying every time I see something he's involved in.