I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

The Bitcoin (BTC) thread
JayJuanGee Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: The Bitcoin thread
The article linked within the below linked reddit thread, describes very large increases in local bitcoin trade volume occurring in several countries, and notes that Norway's volume has nearly doubled.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments...n_several/

Seems sufficiently bullish to me, and worthy of addition to this thread. Furthermore, increased trade volume on local bitcoins seems to imply the potential for increases in the BTC prices - except if the increased BTC trade volume was coming from folks wanting to dump their BTCs. Confused
06-27-2016 10:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like JayJuanGee's post:
paullyFIRE, Isaac Jordan
JayJuanGee Offline
Crow
Gold Member

I'm not sure if I had already posted a link to this article, but I just read it again recently, and it is a decent write-up regarding the perilous times involving MTGOX.

The essence of the article describes how Mark Karpeles took over MTGOX in a deficient state, and seemed to have taken a few risks that did not pay off.

Even though this article has a decent and plausible rendition of events, there could be some seriously missing facts that would considerably change some of the depictions contained therein.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/20...t-gox.html
06-28-2016 04:03 PM
JayJuanGee Offline
Crow
Gold Member

Bitcoin is experiencing another uptrend, while European markets remain in toil.. including Deutsche Bank ...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-06-30...ecord-lows
06-30-2016 08:42 AM
JayJuanGee Offline
Crow
Gold Member

Actually, it is going to be interesting to see how easily (or not) Bitcoin's prices get passed resistance points around $685, $780 and then $850....

Prices are currently uprising within the past few hours from lower $630s to $669, as I type.

If we get passed each of the above mentioned current resistance points, then likely we gonna be sailing towards the territory of $3k plus coins.

On the other hand, we cannot count our eggs before they are hatched... because until we are passed each of those above mentioned resistance points, they still remain in place, and we could well experience some battle(s) at any or all of those price points.

Right now, the price seems to be going up, and the resistance seems to be like cutting through butter, but many of us familiar with bitcoin's price performance likely realize that explosive price uptrends like these can stop at any minute, reverse, and/or become stagnant.
06-30-2016 08:48 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes JayJuanGee's post:
paullyFIRE
JayJuanGee Offline
Crow
Gold Member

The below linked article does not mention bitcoin as a potential safe haven, but it describes the US financial situation and the china financial situation as the two potential precarious upcoming black swan events.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-06-27...re-horizon
06-30-2016 03:47 PM
JayJuanGee Offline
Crow
Gold Member

The below linked article (click on article in the link) and comments may be a bit of a repetition of some earlier ideas asserting why bitcoin is a good asset to have in your investment portfolio, whether you keep only a small amount (such as less than 1%) or a large amount (approaching 50% or more).

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments...e_bitcoin/

Personally, I would not recommend starting out by investing in bitcoin with any more than 10% of your total quasi-liquid investment funds - but if bitcoin appreciates while you are invested into it, there may not be a need to diversify out of it, unless maybe your total quasi-liquid investment value becomes too lopsided in bitcoin, such as having 70% or more in bitcoin. But, yeah, every guy is going to be different in terms of risk profile, timeline and overall financial circumstances.
06-30-2016 04:26 PM
JayJuanGee Offline
Crow
Gold Member

Regarding recent bitcoin price movements (currently floating in the $690s), and anticipation that getting passed $850 is going to put us into $3k to $5k price territories... but yeah we gotta get above the upper $700s first and then we also have to get well into the $800s.

Of course, we have to speculate about bitcoin prices in terms of probabilities rather than absolutes... and I cannot claim to have any kind of actual technical expertise.

I know that a lot of folks (especially bitcoin newbies) talk about cashing out at $1,000 or some point soon thereafter, and in that regard, they believe that $1,000 is such a large value for this magical money. These kinds of bitcoin newbies seem to be thinking in terms of unit value rather than market cap, so certainly there will be some attempts of bears to capitalize on those kinds of various public sentiments in order to attempt to reverse the upward price momentum or even to cause folks to cash out at price points that seem unsustainable to regular folks... and yeah, $1,000 and $2,000 are such price points that some people may begin to believe that the unit value has become considerably great (and we gotta remember as well that a unit value of $1k and $2k will put BTC's market cap at about $16 billion and $32 billion respectively, which still is not a really high amount given the paradigm changing utility that Bitcoin brings to the financial spheres).

I certainly am no expert; however, in the end, I think that getting passed the mid $800s is likely to create so much upward price momentum and even coming from financial big players too that such mid-$800s price points and upward momentum is going to significantly overwhelm the resistance at those levels and above. And, yeah, these days there are more tools to short and more tools to bet on downward bitcoin price movements (as compared with late 2013), but to me it seems that these kinds of new shorting tools are not going to be strong enough to overwhelm the upwards BTC price momentum that comes after reaching the mid $800s.

In my own perception of the May 2016 move of BTC prices above $500, that price move above $500 has been quite a bit more bullish than even I had anticipated. I had actually expected for BTC prices to go up faster passed $500 and up into the mid $600s - possibly touching upon $700s (mid $700s, at the most like within a week or two of going passed $500 and then correcting back into the $400s for a period of time)..

So, yeah, so far the BTC price staying well above $500 is acting quite a bit more bullish than I anticipated, and really the bears seem to be having a bit more difficulties than expected to get the price to go back down into the $500s and they could not even keep it below mid $500s for more than a few minutes.

So, yeah, that recent history does not mean that we are not going to witness greater price battle attempts in these $600 and $700s price territories, but the upward price momentum and support for these current prices seems to be playing out pretty well for us bulls (and btc hodlers)... and that is part of the reason why I am still inclined to think that resistance at $900, $1,000 and $2,000 will not be as great as we may otherwise conjecture based on pure numerology..

Sure, on a personal protection level, I am going to continue to cash out small amounts of BTC along the way upwards in the even that we go upwards, just in case, and sure we could be surprised to experience unexpected price reversals at any point.. That is one thing about bitcoin is that the unexpected is kind of expected and we have to continue to prepare on a personal level for price moves in either direction.

Depending on how the upwards price movement goes above mid $800s, exactly, I am thinking that we could get more price resistance in the $2k to $3k price territory rather than at any points between $850 and $2k)... even though after the mid $800s the most likely point to get a significant price correction would be (at some possibly unexpected point) in the $3k to $5k price territory.
07-02-2016 04:35 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes JayJuanGee's post:
Isaac Jordan
booshala Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

I'm curious, JJG: How do you keep track of your buy/sell points so closely? Are you setting up multiple limit/stops for both of them? I find myself checking BTC prices a few times a day and sometimes the disparity in pricing between even a few hours is crazy.
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2016 05:01 PM by booshala.)
07-02-2016 05:01 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes booshala's post:
JayJuanGee
JayJuanGee Offline
Crow
Gold Member

(07-02-2016 05:01 PM)booshala Wrote:  I'm curious, JJG: How do you keep track of your buy/sell points so closely? Are you setting up multiple limit/stops for both of them? I find myself checking BTC prices a few times a day and sometimes the disparity in pricing between even a few hours is crazy.

Surely, my buy sell system is kind of evolving over the months; however, I think that the crux of my situation is that I set a sell point and a buy point, and then as I sell, I adjust the new sell point and buy point according to how much I sold at that point.. Also, I may adjust my buy/sell point based on the market being stagnant for a long time or based on some kinds of apparently material BTC related news developments.

Surprisingly, I have been doing the bulk of my trading manually (mostly on Uphold), and the buying and selling does not seem to trigger as much as you seem to be implying.. but I understand what you are saying about apparent daily volatility in recent times...

In any event, I find that BTC prices kind of tend to move in one direction for a period of time and then in the other direction for a period of time.. so I don't usually need to watch both directions simultaneously... sure, sometimes there will be a reversal bounce (bear or bull trap), but most of the time the price is largely moving in one direction or another and after I sell for example my next sell point might be $2, $3, $5 or $10 in the upwards direction, but my buy point will usually not be less than $10 or $12 from the previous sell point (except maybe under some kinds of exceptional circumstances in which i may have made a mistake.. or if i feel that I am over leveraged in the sell direction). So, sometimes, even with a next sell point of $2 higher than the previous sell point, it may take a day or two before that next sell point is triggered... so the price may bounce around $10 or $15 in a kind of a range, but does not trigger my next buy or sell point (even though it comes close from time to time).

I also set up some automatic staggered sell points and buy points on various exchanges (Bitstamp, Bitfinex, GDAX, Gemini and sometimes BTC-e), yet those automatic buy / sell points are for relatively very small fractions of my authorized amounts because I don't want those amounts to run away from me too much and to cost me too much in terms of either dollars or bitcoins... that way if just in case if I am not able to conduct any kinds of manual trades, I have at least automatically done some if the market moves a lot and I am not available (sleeping or something or just unable to get an internet connection).
07-02-2016 05:39 PM
el mechanico Offline
Owl
Gold Member

I want real coins. How do I transfer my shit from btc-e to someting I can hold in my hand?
07-02-2016 06:38 PM
JayJuanGee Offline
Crow
Gold Member

(07-02-2016 06:38 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  I want real coins. How do I transfer my shit from btc-e to someting I can hold in my hand?

Leave it to you to come up with such a ridiculous assertion that is along the same lines that you asserted before.

Yes, you are appearing to be jittery about your bitcoin holdings, and you want to cash out some of them for some real and tangible items, but do so at your own risk. Are you over-invested or something, or do you really lack confidence in the upward potential of BTC?

Of course, you know the answer to your own question, you can cash out all or part of your bitcoins at any time that you chose, and compared with late 2013, there are all kinds of bitcoin liquidation avenues, if someone were to chose such a cashing out route.
07-02-2016 07:00 PM
el mechanico Offline
Owl
Gold Member

No I'm not I just want to put them in my safebox. I thought it was possible.
07-02-2016 07:10 PM
Isaac Jordan Offline
Kingfisher
Gold Member

(07-02-2016 07:10 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  No I'm not I just want to put them in my safebox. I thought it was possible.

Are you referring to a paper wallet? That's one way to get your coins out of a third party wallet or exchange and provides a way for you to physically store your coins.

Just gotta be careful with them though, there are some horror stories floating around regarding folks who weren't technically proficient enough to understand the finer workings of paper wallets and lost their coins.
07-02-2016 07:15 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Isaac Jordan's post:
JayJuanGee, booshala
JayJuanGee Offline
Crow
Gold Member

(07-02-2016 07:10 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  No I'm not I just want to put them in my safebox. I thought it was possible.

I'm kind of nervous about being my own bank with digital currencies and I am afraid that I may lose the private keys or something... even though there are some new devices for storing bitcoin private keys.

I know that at some point, probably a lot of us bitcoin hodlers are going to need to take various measures to disassociate our coins from institutions that are connected to traditional banking and KYC (know your customer) and AML (Anti-money laundering).

Some of the bank failures and Brexit etc. give indications that sometimes traditional financial institutions may resort to desperate measures in currency and/or asset controls.. and yeah we would not want to get our coins frozen (BTC-e is not so traditional), but even Bitstamp could end up freezing coins based on supposed KYC, AML concerns and even requests by governmental (banking institutions).
07-02-2016 07:20 PM
el mechanico Offline
Owl
Gold Member

Let me find a link.
07-02-2016 07:24 PM
JayJuanGee Offline
Crow
Gold Member

(07-02-2016 07:15 PM)Isaac Jordan Wrote:  

Are you referring to a paper wallet? That's one way to get your coins out of a third party wallet or exchange and provides a way for you to physically store your coins.

Just gotta be careful with them though, there are some horror stories floating around regarding folks who weren't technically proficient enough to understand the finer workings of paper wallets and lost their coins.

Personally, Isaac, even though you seem to be taking El Mech kind of seriously, I think that he is attempting to play us a little bit with the lack of physical tangibleness of bitcoins.

And, regarding the substance of your post, that's kind of what I am afraid of regarding risks to losing coins and access... and surely we are going to need to have a bit more ease of use with some of these systems.. and part of my solution currently has been merely to spread out my coins so that there are not too many coins in any one place.. .even though that is not really a great solution either because the more places that you have your coins, the more potential that one of those places may have a systemic failure or some other kind of third party risk failure.
07-02-2016 07:25 PM
JayJuanGee Offline
Crow
Gold Member

(07-02-2016 07:24 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  Let me find a link.

Possibly you are referring to Casascius coin that suspended production, according to the below link

https://www.casascius.com/
07-02-2016 07:30 PM
JayJuanGee Offline
Crow
Gold Member

And, by the way, El Mech you gotta be kind of contented with bitcoin's recent price performance, no?

Sure you said that you were considering cashing out in the mid $600s, but this recent market performance is showing some bullishness in the bitcoin price, no?

A bit over a month ago, we passed $500, and we have not been below $500 since then, even though there seems to have been some pretty decent attempts including the amount of coins that dumped the price down to $540 that did not stay for more than a few minutes and then the price pretty much bounced back into the $600s within a day and really a large inability to bring the price below $608...

Things are looking good no?

Sure we are not completely safe from sub $608 coins, but really the price pressures seem upwards, and we could well be floating in the $650 to $850 price territory for a while with a bit of a price battle, but I am feeling pretty good about the odds for a break above $850 at some point in the next 3 to 6 months.... but yeah, I am guessing and speculating, too.
07-02-2016 07:36 PM
el mechanico Offline
Owl
Gold Member

I'm not cashing out and it's to boring for me unless it goes up like 100 a day.

I want hold able coins and I'll sell them myself when I want.
07-02-2016 08:10 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes el mechanico's post:
BBinger
JayJuanGee Offline
Crow
Gold Member

(07-02-2016 08:10 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  I'm not cashing out and it's to boring for me unless it goes up like 100 a day.

I want hold able coins and I'll sell them myself when I want.

I personally recommend the Blockchain.info wallet.

You can put some or all of your coins on that wallet (transfer from BTC-e to the wallet), and then you would have the quantity of coins available at any time that you want to sell.

Of course, one of the easiest and mobile ways to interface with the access to the coins once on blockchain.info would be by downloading the blockchain.info app to your phone.

I use an Iphone, so I know about that app, and they have an android app as well, or you can also access your wallet from any computer that is connected to the web. That seems to be the best way to have access to the coins and to access them nearly anywhere at any time with the least amount of hassle.

Yeah, there may be some other avenues of holding a paper wallet, as well, but having them accessible on your phone seems to be a good avenue, and even if you lose your phone you would still have access to the blockchain.info wallet from another phone or through the web so long as you retain your blockchain.info password access information.
07-02-2016 08:24 PM
JayJuanGee Offline
Crow
Gold Member

The below linked article pertaining to the government's pumping of gold is a few months old , and does not even mention bitcoin..... yet at some point, there may be some realization on a broader level of bitcoin as being a potential pump asset, as well.

https://www.pimco.com/insights/viewpoint...at-the-fed

The opposite seems to be true with the government and its incentives and relations in respect to bitcoin, at least currently... bitcoin is very likely not being pumped by the US government or any other government for that matter, but i could see, as argued in the article in respect to gold that the government could take some role in the pumping of gold and/or other PMs and/or other crypto currencies as means to attempt to undermine bitcoin. Some of the dynamics in Ethereum suggests that there could be some behind the scenes government attempts at pumping Ethereum (likekly very small scale operations).

I am continuing to think that for the government, bitcoin is going to likely remain a gotcha double edged sword asset for some time into the future that they are going to attempt to undermine in a variety of ways for years to come, and maybe at some point, possibly somewhere between 5 and 10 years down the road or so, the US government is going to come to realize that there may be better strategies available in accepting bitcoin rather than fighting it, but could take a while to get to that point.
07-04-2016 01:13 AM
JayJuanGee Offline
Crow
Gold Member

(07-02-2016 05:39 PM)JayJuanGee Wrote:  
(07-02-2016 05:01 PM)booshala Wrote:  I'm curious, JJG: How do you keep track of your buy/sell points so closely? Are you setting up multiple limit/stops for both of them? I find myself checking BTC prices a few times a day and sometimes the disparity in pricing between even a few hours is crazy.

Surely, my buy sell system is kind of evolving over the months; however, I think that the crux of my situation is that I set a sell point and a buy point, and then as I sell, I adjust the new sell point and buy point according to how much I sold at that point.. Also, I may adjust my buy/sell point based on the market being stagnant for a long time or based on some kinds of apparently material BTC related news developments.

Surprisingly, I have been doing the bulk of my trading manually (mostly on Uphold), and the buying and selling does not seem to trigger as much as you seem to be implying.. but I understand what you are saying about apparent daily volatility in recent times...

In any event, I find that BTC prices kind of tend to move in one direction for a period of time and then in the other direction for a period of time.. so I don't usually need to watch both directions simultaneously... sure, sometimes there will be a reversal bounce (bear or bull trap), but most of the time the price is largely moving in one direction or another and after I sell for example my next sell point might be $2, $3, $5 or $10 in the upwards direction, but my buy point will usually not be less than $10 or $12 from the previous sell point (except maybe under some kinds of exceptional circumstances in which i may have made a mistake.. or if i feel that I am over leveraged in the sell direction). So, sometimes, even with a next sell point of $2 higher than the previous sell point, it may take a day or two before that next sell point is triggered... so the price may bounce around $10 or $15 in a kind of a range, but does not trigger my next buy or sell point (even though it comes close from time to time).

I also set up some automatic staggered sell points and buy points on various exchanges (Bitstamp, Bitfinex, GDAX, Gemini and sometimes BTC-e), yet those automatic buy / sell points are for relatively very small fractions of my authorized amounts because I don't want those amounts to run away from me too much and to cost me too much in terms of either dollars or bitcoins... that way if just in case if I am not able to conduct any kinds of manual trades, I have at least automatically done some if the market moves a lot and I am not available (sleeping or something or just unable to get an internet connection).

I have been kind of considering my above post after some of the more recent BTC price moves over the past couple of days.

You know BTC prices were largely in the $670s for a few days from about late 7/3 to late yesterday 7/6.. and I was not doing hardly any BTC trading during that time because the price was not moving and not coming to my price points.. and I was waiting waiting waiting and even getting a bit nervous that I should do something to move my own price points in order to make some of my own action.

Then all of a sudden, late yesterday (7/6).. down down down... correction to $605 that took more than 12 hours to play out.. with at least three downward spurts (maybe 4), and accordingly I was able to make a few small purchases through automatic trading and to reset my trading points and make some manual purchases that were a bit larger and then maybe even wait for a few more dips (I was thinking below $600 that did not materialize), then all of a sudden prices reverse again, fairly quickly and shoot back into the upper $630s in a matter of less than an hour...

Then prices seemed to kind of stabilize in the upper $630s and lower $640s with only a bit of upper price pressure for the past 10 hours or so.

You know I missed a few of the price swings of the past 36 hours.. and that's o.k. not to hit all of the price swings.

Also, sometimes I am just waiting waiting waiting for the price to move... like the past several hours to manually sell a little bit at what ended up being $638, then $642 and $645, and then wait some more for a few more dollars up to sell a bit more.. and to readjust my manual buy points after each time that I sell... and, all of this to prepare my total BTC/fiat holdings, just in case BTC prices return back down some more, even though at the moment there seems to be a bit of ongoing upward price pressures (but we know that price in bitcoinlandia can go in either direction at almost any time).

Sometimes after I buy buy buy, I will start to kind of feel that I am running out of money and having to reallocate my amounts and reconsider how much I have authorized myself to buy at what price points and what spreads and if I have enough in my funds in case there is a large price run, either way, when least expected.

The system seems to work pretty well, overall, because my number of BTC continues to go up, without additional investment, and when it goes up, I am able to authorize myself to sell more BTC as the price goes up, while still projecting that I will be able to preserve a sufficient quantity of BTC in my holdings even if the price were to shoot up to $3k or higher, which seems to be within projected possibilities in the coming months or years, or decades (a less optimal case scenario).

My downside projection, too, also continues to allow me to allocate sufficient dollars to continue to buy down, and on my spreadsheet, I project down to $250, but there is some fudging around with that too because in only very improbable scenarios would the price go straight down to $250 or below, without some up and down movement in between, and surely there is some kind of need to reassess, reconsider and probably reallocate money in the portfolio if BTC prices seems to be moving really erratic and in ways beyond previously considered expectations.
07-08-2016 03:19 AM
booshala Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

Sounds like you do this pretty much for a living, JJG... This is your primary source of income?
07-08-2016 02:10 PM
JayJuanGee Offline
Crow
Gold Member

(07-08-2016 02:10 PM)booshala Wrote:  Sounds like you do this pretty much for a living, JJG... This is your primary source of income?

Actually, you are correct booshla that I spend quite a lot of time on bitcoin.

Since I started with bitcoin in November 2013, I have been studying it a lot, investing a lot of time and money and spending quite a bit of time interacting with various bitcoin forums, reviewing other information sources and creating my own functional spreadsheets to monitor and to strategize regarding my BTC investments.

On the other hand, I have only invested into bitcoin with side money (extra money that I do not need for living expenses and that I could afford to lose, if push were to come to shove).

Beginning in October 2015, after I started to trade BTC, I began to spend even more time researching and monitoring BTC and engaging in some additional strategies in order to set up for my BTC trades and to strategize how to go about those trades.

Despite all of the time that I spend on bitcoin and have spent on bitcoin, I have never earned any income from bitcoin, so far. My portfolio is currently about 50% up, but I have not drawn any of those funds for living expenses or for any other reason except making short term trades or replacing any coins that I happen to spend in order to support the bitcoin infrastructure.

I consider BTC a long term investment, and a kind of hobby, I suppose. I have only invested long term into BTC with no expectation to draw from it in the shorter term. I have been thinking that I would use some of my bitcoin proceeds for travel; however, in the past couple of years, I have been kind of tied down geographically because of some of my business matters.

I have income sources that have been fairly stable since late 2013; however, I had a bit of a SNAFU with some of my income sources in early 2015 - due to erratic and mostly unexpected behaviors of a business partner. My early 2015 difficulties with cash flow caused me to buy fewer BTC during that time, but did not cause me to make any BTC withdrawals during that time. In mid to late 2015 and thereafter, my income sort of stabilized, and I was again able to resume a lot of my previous dollar cost averaging investing into bitcoin.

Today, I continue to engage in some dollar cost averaging into my bitcoin portfolio; however, it seems to be that my bitcoin holdings continue to grow mostly from BTC price appreciation and my employment of ongoing BTC trading strategies.
07-08-2016 02:35 PM
AboveAverageJoe Offline
Banned

Aren't you concerned that Bitcoin can be shut down by the Government, US specifically but even a coalition? It ultimately abates tax evasion and money laundering and worst of all anonimity. I would be concerned it could just be turned off one day like when all US online poker players accounts were just taken by the government. It could just be shut down one day like Silk Road, no?
07-08-2016 02:39 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes AboveAverageJoe's post:
JayJuanGee

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  IRS: Bitcoin is not currency assman 23 7,775 07-06-2019 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deepdiver
  Bitcoin & Cryptocurrency Profit & Loss Trackers & Capital Gains Calculators jamaicabound 2 4,782 06-01-2019 09:03 AM
Last Post: Dr. Howard
  DACing for Cryptodummies: Hassle-Free and Easy Bitcoin Investing SamuelBRoberts 108 33,375 12-26-2018 08:27 PM
Last Post: redbeard