I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

The NBA Thread
Professor Fox Offline
Alpha Male
Gold Member

RE: The NBA Thread
Sloppy, careless ball handling by the Spurs. Wade is playing a 2006 worthy game.
06-13-2013 10:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
JayMillz Offline
International Playboy

I think Pop coached a poor game by leaving Manu in and even Spliter (with reduced minutes). They both killed the Spurs with turnovers. Again, the Spurs played soft, including Duncan. Parker makes some great shots, but sometimes he dribbles too much when other guys are open. The Spurs tentative play allowed the Heat to get in a rhythm and they capitalized off of it.
06-13-2013 10:34 PM
WestCoast Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

D wade is a thief tonight, 6 steals in the finals is practically unheard of.

Ray Allen looks like he went back in time 3-5 years. Should be a good game 5.
06-13-2013 10:37 PM
TheSlayer Offline
True Player

A few things:

Welcome back Mr Dwade.

Can we stop with the overreactions after this game? I am talking about all those LeBron is a choker and this will be like the Dallas series after game 3, he will never be this guy or that guy articles that popped up after game 3. Now hopefully we can move past the he is a choker thing for once and for all. Series is tied 2-2. I still have it going 7.

Holy fucking shit. That's all I will say about the game. Up until middle of 4th quarter this was an absolutely amazing game.

I blame social media and the 24/7 news cycle for this for my second point. I posted this a few days ago, but no one answered, so I will quote it again.
(06-07-2013 10:29 PM)TheSlayer Wrote:  I have a question for some of the older members who got to see other great teams play during the 80s and 90s. I often wonder if the 90s Bulls or the 1998-2004 Lakers would be as polarizing as this Heat team if they were playing in today's era of social media. I agree the not 2, not 3, not 4..... stupidity (along with The Decision) didn't help but there is said to be said something about social media and the 24/7 news cycle where everything is overreacted to. If this Heat team ends up wining another 2 or 3 titles (a big if), will they be revered like the Jordan Bulls and Shaq-Kobe Lakers 10-15 years from now?

In the past the stupid stuff that players did was not discussed immediately in media and not to the extent it is today in social media. For example, social media would blow up today if Magic announced he had HIV, Jordan punching Steve Kerr in the face, or Kobe's rape charges etc. They would definitely get a lot more 'hate', no?
06-13-2013 10:39 PM
Professor Fox Offline
Alpha Male
Gold Member

(06-13-2013 10:39 PM)TheSlayer Wrote:  Can we stop with the overreactions after this game?

Nope. You know that overreactions to the latest thing is how our 24h media operates.
06-13-2013 10:41 PM
Timoteo Offline
International Playboy

I would agree that the ESPN age of the 24/7 news cycle, plus the growth of social media has contributed greatly to the exaggeration of certain events. There's a lot of airtime to fill, so they create non-stories and narratives. The media criticized LeBron endlessly for the Decision, which they played an active part in. They fostered a lot of the hate he received with their endless harping on certain failures, and the endless comparisons to players past. No matter how he left Cleveland, he would have been hated and cursed there. All the decision did was make his departure more of a media event. It allowed for suspense to build. It gave all of the media trucks the opportunity to stake out bars where people congregated to watch. It allowed them to be in place to record the reaction. Fans brought LeBron jerseys, so they could get attention for burning them if the decision didn't go their way.

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."
06-13-2013 10:47 PM
Joga Bonito Offline
Wingman
Gold Member

The overreaction is annoying, but fan is short for fanatic for a reason, people aren't necessarily rational about things they are passionate about. With that being said, I would've thought that he has shaken the choker label now, even though there's no denying he played scared in the first 3 games. Its unbecoming for arguably the best player of the generation to play as timidly as he did in the first 3 games especially with turning down open shots and not looking to make plays at the rim or get to the line. He was playing like he was against Dallas for the most part early on in the series, and deserved the criticism. The interesting thing to watch is whether the Heat will keep up this energy.
06-13-2013 10:58 PM
TheSlayer Offline
True Player

iwin, I agree he was really passive game 3 but game 1 and 2 I think he was decent. Wasn't playing timid, just not aggressive. And after they blew the Spurs out game 2 the narrative was that LeBron can hurt you rebounding, assisting, and without scoring 20 points. After they got blown out game 3, it was he's a choker. He sucks. He will never be this guy or that guy. I was maybe a little guilty of it too to be fair I did say let's all wait for game 4 and for all we know he plays like himself again. And he did. This is it. I am never doubting him again. Wade on the other hand needs to keep this up for the rest of the series.

What irked me was the change in the narrative after game 2 and game 3. That's all.
06-13-2013 11:02 PM
TheSlayer Offline
True Player

@iwin, and mind you this is after LeBron averaged almost 30 points last series and had a 30 8 4 game 7. So I would say he has earned some leeway but this twitter era overreacts to every single thing.
06-13-2013 11:03 PM
Joga Bonito Offline
Wingman
Gold Member

Yes, it's because LeBron is still a very polarizing figure who still attracts a good amount of disdain for his past actions. People also won't cut LeBron slack because he seems to be giving up or not trying at times. Its not like guys like Kobe and MJ haven't had bad playoff games themselves. The difference is that they were still aggressive in looking to make the plays that make them great players in the first place. Of course, you can also view it as LeBron not trying to unnecessarily force bad plays, so its more about perspective than anything.As I said before LeBron, is different in that he embraces the playmaker role more than the guys he is often compared to like Jordan and Kobe. Sure its not fair to make such comparisons, but for fans its just a fun way to think about the game.
06-13-2013 11:13 PM
Timoteo Offline
International Playboy

LeBron has already shown that when his team faces elimination, or in the case of tonight, going down 3-1, he responds. He did tonight, and he got Wade and Bosh's best efforts of the whole playoffs to date. Honestly, Game 3 was the only truly bad game he played, but I would have liked to see him play a little more selfishly on offense in all 3 of the previous games. If your running mates just don't have it that night, they need HIM to get it. At a certain point, he has to basically give up on the other guys and carry them.

The challenge is getting a similar effort in Game 5 from everyone. They can regain control of this series going back home, and go for the kill in Game 6. The next one becomes the pivotal game for both teams.

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."
(This post was last modified: 06-13-2013 11:40 PM by Timoteo.)
06-13-2013 11:38 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Timoteo's post:
2Wycked
Cr33pin Offline
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

Man I was glad to see Wade catch fire tonight! Lebron followed suit and heated up to, hopefully this will give them both a good mindset and confidence headed into game 5. Spurs really didn't show up to play like they have been. I think its a combo of Miami playing decent and the Spurs playing sloppy that got the Heat the win. This was in noway, shape, or form the best Miami team.. hopefully we will see see them at their beat for the rest of the series!

Bosh is playing better then he was but that still doesn't mean hes playing up to par.

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
06-14-2013 08:15 AM
Timoteo Offline
International Playboy

(06-14-2013 08:15 AM)Cr33pin Wrote:  Man I was glad to see Wade catch fire tonight! Lebron followed suit and heated up to, hopefully this will give them both a good mindset and confidence headed into game 5. Spurs really didn't show up to play like they have been. I think its a combo of Miami playing decent and the Spurs playing sloppy that got the Heat the win. This was in noway, shape, or form the best Miami team.. hopefully we will see see them at their beat for the rest of the series!

Bosh is playing better then he was but that still doesn't mean hes playing up to par.

I thought tonight's effort was outstanding, because of the energy he played with. The blocked shots at the rim. The diving for loose balls. The rebounds. He actually shot better, though I'd still like to see him attack the rim more on offense. If he gives them a similar effort in the next two games, they're probably back-to-back champs.

(This post was last modified: 06-14-2013 11:20 AM by Timoteo.)
06-14-2013 10:38 AM
samsamsam Offline
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

(06-14-2013 10:38 AM)Timoteo Wrote:  If he gives them a similar effort in the next two games, their probably back-to-back champs.
Boooooooooooooooooooooooo! Where is that dislike button? LOL.

Hopefully, the Spurs will find some answers. If not, at least a game 7 for the advertisers.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2
06-14-2013 11:13 AM
Cr33pin Offline
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

(06-14-2013 10:38 AM)Timoteo Wrote:  
(06-14-2013 08:15 AM)Cr33pin Wrote:  Man I was glad to see Wade catch fire tonight! Lebron followed suit and heated up to, hopefully this will give them both a good mindset and confidence headed into game 5. Spurs really didn't show up to play like they have been. I think its a combo of Miami playing decent and the Spurs playing sloppy that got the Heat the win. This was in noway, shape, or form the best Miami team.. hopefully we will see see them at their beat for the rest of the series!

I thought tonight's effort was outstanding, because of the energy he played with. The blocked shots at the rim. The diving for loose balls. The rebounds. He actually shot better, though I'd still like to see him attack the rim more on offense. If he gives them a similar effort in the next two games, they're probably back-to-back champs.

He has been rebounding and defending a lot better and shooting a little better.. I would just like to see him more aggressive on offense or at least make a higher percentage of his usually wide up jumpers he has been missing.

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
06-14-2013 01:55 PM
Excelsior Offline
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

You lose money chasing women, but you never lose women chasing money.
06-15-2013 07:23 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Excelsior's post:
Cr33pin
TheSlayer Offline
True Player

Game 5 is today. I think it will be a close game like the first one. Who do you guys got? I think Miami pulls out a close one. I don't think Wade will go for 30 again but if he can get 20-25 and Bosh can play with the same defensive intensity Miami should be able to go up 3-2.
06-16-2013 02:14 PM
JoyStick Offline
Alpha Male

I wanna see manu step it up!
06-16-2013 02:27 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes JoyStick's post:
Belize King
TheSlayer Offline
True Player

^^ Yeah, it's sad that he can't "bring" it anymore. The most revealing thing he said after game 4 was that he is fully healthy. He will be 36 in a month and he has been playing pro-basketball long before he came into the NBA. He may just be done. I wouldn't mind seeing another vintage Manu performance (in a losing effort of course lol).
06-16-2013 02:29 PM
Timoteo Offline
International Playboy

(06-16-2013 02:29 PM)TheSlayer Wrote:  ^^ Yeah, it's sad that he can't "bring" it anymore. The most revealing thing he said after game 4 was that he is fully healthy. He will be 36 in a month and he has been playing pro-basketball long before he came into the NBA. He may just be done. I wouldn't mind seeing another vintage Manu performance (in a losing effort of course lol).

Manu plays a pretty rough, punishing brand of ball, and yeah, he's been doing it for a long time. People think Euro ball is just soft jump shooting, and the truth is some of those leagues are very physical. Also, the best Euros are playing professionally in their mid-teens, against grown men. He's an old 36, and he may simply be tapped out. During the regular season, Pop simply holds his older guys out when he sees their tired or beaten up. He doesn't have the luxury in the playoffs to do that, and Manu can't change the way he plays - nor can Parker.

06-16-2013 03:22 PM
Screwston Offline
Banned

06-16-2013 04:23 PM
Timoteo Offline
International Playboy

(06-16-2013 04:23 PM)houston Wrote:  http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/post/527...erican-boy
Ohshit

And these are the same type of people that think the real problem with racism in America is the people that talk and/or complain about racism, but not the actual racists themselves. The willingness to put their name and face to it in a public forum is promising though...

06-16-2013 04:32 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Timoteo's post:
Screwston
Screwston Offline
Banned

If I wasn't so popular on this site, I would probably have fun with them. I found most of those people on Facebook within seconds and have access to their schools and employers.
06-16-2013 04:44 PM
Timoteo Offline
International Playboy

(06-16-2013 04:44 PM)houston Wrote:  If I wasn't so popular on this site, I would probably have fun with them. I found most of those people on Facebook within seconds and have access to their schools and employers.

And these patriots would be the first to whine about their right of free speech being infringed upon! No, you fully exercised your rights, you fuckin' ignorant clown. Now others are freely exercising their right to disagree and expose you for the clown you are. You signed your name to it, now own it.

06-16-2013 04:47 PM
Screwston Offline
Banned

(06-16-2013 04:47 PM)Timoteo Wrote:  
(06-16-2013 04:44 PM)houston Wrote:  If I wasn't so popular on this site, I would probably have fun with them. I found most of those people on Facebook within seconds and have access to their schools and employers.

And these patriots would be the first to whine about their right of free speech being infringed upon! No, you fully exercised your rights, you fuckin' ignorant clown. Now others are freely exercising their right to disagree and expose you for the clown you are. You signed your name to it, now own it.
What's funny is they all live in extremely white areas of the country. A lot of them deleted their Twitter accounts but forgot about the Facebook.
06-16-2013 04:56 PM