I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

The NBA Thread
kapitaw Offline
Sparrow

RE: The NBA Thread
(06-02-2014 08:17 AM)Moma Wrote:  I play and I know Gio plays too. I thought they love bball in Japan..odd that you can't find a venue to play..are you in one of the smaller cities or something?

It's probably the third most popular sport here, but yes I'm in a smaller city which makes it more difficult. I found an indoor gym and half the court was being used by high school boys having dance practice Confused I talked to them a bit and they were ironically amused that I was playing basketball.

I've just been here for about a month though, so I'm sure I'll find some games eventually. I actually met a bartender who said there's games at a local junior high every Wed. & Fri. night but I'm usually working at those times. I'll make it happen though, and I'm interested in seeing how I do against casual Japanese bball players.

(06-02-2014 09:01 AM)ddjembe mutombo Wrote:  I play about 8-10 hours of full court a week now. I have decent handles, but not good enough to run point when I'm playing against guys that played in college. I euro-step and rifle passes with one arm like Ginobli. Depending on the IQ of my teammates, I will either make cuts to the rim or cuts out to the three. I used to set a lot of picks to set up a pick and roll, but I've noticed not enough people know how to use it properly so I stopped wasting my energy.

It's cool that we got some ballers in this thread. Euro-step & the spin are two moves I've never been able to do well. Guess I got bad footwork, although I can be tricky with the up and under move in the paint. I usually run point too, and I think my favorite play to make is either a nice assist or a swished three.

Don't stop setting picks! I played at the YMCA back at home and nobody ever set picks, it was just iso plays and kickouts, so annoying. I like 3v3 halfcourt games a lot but I play best in 5v5, as long as I don't get too winded.

Man, I miss playing. Might go at least shootaround this week.
06-02-2014 09:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes kapitaw's post:
JoyStick
YoungDominican Offline
Woodpecker

Man we should form a team. RVF vs White knights/ Cat Feminists / Da Game Denialists. Laugh

The rewards I see from working is what made me an addict.
There's way more people that want it than people that have it.
06-02-2014 10:05 AM
JoyStick Offline
Pelican

(06-02-2014 10:05 AM)YoungDominican Wrote:  Man we should form a team. RVF vs White knights/ Cat Feminists / Da Game Denialists. Laugh

Doug Christie can be their coach. AJ Green can be their asst. coach.
06-02-2014 10:56 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes JoyStick's post:
YoungDominican
ddjembe mutombo Offline
Woodpecker

A very enlightening article on the history of Tim & Pop:
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/109551...an-stories

(06-02-2014 09:40 AM)JoyStick Wrote:  I ball. We need a RVF pick up game.
I play mostly in Denver, but I always bring my shoes when I travel to Austin, Houston, Seattle and Pittsburgh.

(06-02-2014 09:53 AM)kapitaw Wrote:  It's cool that we got some ballers in this thread. Euro-step & the spin are two moves I've never been able to do well. Guess I got bad footwork, although I can be tricky with the up and under move in the paint. I usually run point too, and I think my favorite play to make is either a nice assist or a swished three.

Don't stop setting picks! I played at the YMCA back at home and nobody ever set picks, it was just iso plays and kickouts, so annoying. I like 3v3 halfcourt games a lot but I play best in 5v5, as long as I don't get too winded.

Man, I miss playing. Might go at least shootaround this week.

It took me two years to get the euro-step down. I have pretty bad footwork since I step in with my left foot even though I shoot right handed. I think it goes back to how my body adjusted after I tore my ACL a while back. I would have a much better pull up if I stepped in with my right foot.

When I have someone on my team that knows how to utilize the pick & roll then I will constantly run it with them. It is so easy to score in pick-up with that because most people don't know how to counter that play. I still set hard picks to get people open. I watch too much Spurs games that I expect people to take advantage of the off ball picks I set for them.

I hate half court because it disrupts my rhythm. I need to be running a lot to be able feel out cuts right. Half-court just makes me play lazy.

Yeah, you should go shoot around. Maybe you'll show up and people are playing pick-up.
06-02-2014 10:57 AM
[-] The following 4 users Like ddjembe mutombo's post:
JoyStick, kapitaw, YoungDominican, Professor Fox
PrimeTime32 Offline
Woodpecker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzGbhsjD71Y
Pretty funny video of Dan LeBartard ranting about the Pacers.
06-02-2014 08:42 PM
jariel Offline
Hummingbird
Gold Member

[Image: giphy.gif]
06-02-2014 09:20 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like jariel's post:
Vacancier Permanent, Goldin Boy, the chef, Mentavious
Vacancier Permanent Offline
Crow
Gold Member

The way the Spurs play their ball possession game, it reminds of the Great Barca in football. Everybody always passing the ball, looking for the free man and the perfect pass/play, making on average more passes than any other team in the league.

Has anyone else noticed that too?
06-02-2014 09:46 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vacancier Permanent's post:
Giovonny
SpiderKing Offline
Kingfisher
Gold Member

(06-02-2014 09:46 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  The way the Spurs play their ball possession game, it reminds of the Great Barca in football. Everybody always passing the ball, looking for the free man and the perfect pass/play, making on average more passes than any other team in the league.

Has anyone else noticed that too?

A basketball fan sure did.

"The whole point of being alpha, is doing what the fuck you want.
That's why you see real life alphas without chicks. He's doing him.

Real alphas don't tend to have game. They don't tend to care about the emotional lives of the people around them."

-WIA
06-02-2014 09:56 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like SpiderKing's post:
Vacancier Permanent, Giovonny
Travesty Offline
Crow
Gold Member

This is my unpopular opinion post.

The Spurs are boring, I think they are terrible for the league and have been since David Robinson retired.

People that like the Spurs remind me of fair weather Patriot fans that like the grueling but boring perfect execution of many small plays without making many mistakes but also being extremely vanilla.

I have been a Wade fan since his rookie season.

I hope the Heat crush them with power and flash. Hopefully something like 4-1.
06-02-2014 10:55 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Travesty's post:
Moma
Vacancier Permanent Offline
Crow
Gold Member

Travesty,
Watch the video that SpiderKing posted just above your post. See what a certain Magic, the most flamboyant and magical player ever, has to say about the so called boring Spurs. He surely knows a thing or two about basketball and about playing in a beautiful and attractive basketball, doesn't he?

Basketball, like all the other team sports, is ruled by the same principle: individualities may win you matches, but collective team play wins you championships. And the Spurs embody this team collective to perfection.

There is no team that can match the regularity of the Spurs over the past 15 years. No team! Surely, NO team can sustain such a regularity over such a long period of time while being boring, can they?

Last year, The Heat stole it, in day light robbery style. As we all know, lightning ain't going to strike twice!

It's going to be a mouth watering finals. The better and most complete team, the Sours are going to undue the Great Injustice of last year. In style.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2014 12:01 AM by Vacancier Permanent.)
06-02-2014 11:59 PM
ddjembe mutombo Offline
Woodpecker

(06-02-2014 10:55 PM)Travesty444 Wrote:  This is my unpopular opinion post.

The Spurs are boring, I think they are terrible for the league and have been since David Robinson retired.

People that like the Spurs remind me of fair weather Patriot fans that like the grueling but boring perfect execution of many small plays without making many mistakes but also being extremely vanilla.

I grew up in Austin going to the Spurs games in the Alamo Dome, and even though I have moved all around the US I have continued to watch them ever since.

Your opinion reminds me of all the fools in New York that I met when attending college at Syracuse. They would say the Spurs were boring, but they really had no reason besides the lack of glamor in their star's game. These people wanted to see one player take over a game on a nightly basis. The NBA is just too damn competitive for that to happen.

I imagine if you and these other bone heads were around during Red and Bill's Celtics you'd be saying the same thing about them.

Also, how can the Spurs be boring when they have Manu Ginobli? Just watch the passes that guy makes. He is the original D-Wade and James Harden, but he has a higher IQ than both of them.
06-03-2014 09:34 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like ddjembe mutombo's post:
JoyStick, Vacancier Permanent
Moma Offline
Peacock
Gold Member

I agree with travesty. American basketball is about flair and excitement combined with fundamentals. WNBA never took off the way NBA did..you know one of the key reasons? Lizard basketball is very fundamentally sound but they are not as fast as men and they don't dunk. Michael Jordan was fundamentally sound but also beautiful to watch from a fan basis.
I agree that Tim Duncan is swag less. He is boring to watch, his dunks are boring etc. Yes, he wins but so what? It's more than just wins. if you just want to watch winning basketball, watch Euro basketball and you will see Spurs multiplied tenfold.

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards
06-03-2014 11:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
JoyStick Offline
Pelican

Would yall prefer to watch Carmelo force a bunch of shots?
06-03-2014 11:16 AM
Moma Offline
Peacock
Gold Member

(06-03-2014 11:16 AM)JoyStick Wrote:  Would yall prefer to watch Carmelo force a bunch of shots?

You are going from one extreme to the other. I used Jordan as an example. Was he forcing a lot of shots?

OUR NEW BLOG!

An Ode To Lizards
06-03-2014 12:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Chewbacon Offline
Kingfisher
Gold Member

(06-03-2014 11:11 AM)Moma Wrote:  

I agree with travesty. American basketball is about flair and excitement combined with fundamentals. WNBA never took off the way NBA did..you know one of the key reasons? Lizard basketball is very fundamentally sound but they are not as fast as men and they don't dunk. Michael Jordan was fundamentally sound but also beautiful to watch from a fan basis.
I agree that Tim Duncan is swag less. He is boring to watch, his dunks are boring etc. Yes, he wins but so what? It's more than just wins. if you just want to watch winning basketball, watch Euro basketball and you will see Spurs multiplied tenfold.

I agree that the spurs are boring, but not in that "grind it out way" that, say, the pacers or the 2004 pistons are boring. It is, instead, about mechanical execution. The kind of boring execution that makes me hate FC Barcelona and Spain in soccer - the kind that subordinates the individual creativity and athleticism to a borderline-totalitarian team concept.

It is, in a way, an incredibly "beta" style of basketball. All my really beta friends love the spurs. It is beta because it is all about fear and submission - submitting to a team and a system. It is bad for basketball because, at its purest, most artistic form, basketball is about 5 INDIVIDUALS who use their INDIVIDUAL athleticism and creativity in synergy. The prime examples for this were are every single Team USA and the triangle lakers. Basketball is not, and was not meant to be, a team sport the way soccer or football are.
06-03-2014 12:47 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Chewbacon's post:
Moma, Travesty
MY DETROIT PLAYAS Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

I dunno fellas, got this sneaking suspicion this is the Spurs series to lose

Interesting to watch Miami's body language, when/if they fall down in the series, keep in mind they were ONLY a Jesus Shuttlesworth 3 away from being called "underachievers"

Plus, when the normally stoic, great Timmy starts talking shit, you know they're confident

MDP
06-03-2014 01:44 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like MY DETROIT PLAYAS's post:
JoyStick, Vacancier Permanent
TheBulldozer Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

The Spurs are boring?!

Sorry that you find pushing the ball in transition, a ton of 3's, and no look passes to be boring.

Guys, I please hope you've played basketball at a decent level to throw lobs like that out there.

Within the course of a game you will see multiple Spurs play multiple positions offensively and defensively. In fact, the Spurs run the most improvisational offense in basketball. Fitting in their system inherently requires varied skills, and innate court intelligence.

I'd highly suggest going back and reading Grantland's Zach Lowe columns about how the Spurs play.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2014 02:29 PM by TheBulldozer.)
06-03-2014 02:22 PM
[-] The following 8 users Like TheBulldozer's post:
Brosemite, JoyStick, Giovonny, Vacancier Permanent, kapitaw, YoungDominican, SpiderKing, CJ
YoungDominican Offline
Woodpecker

Nah the Spurs aren't boring, I actually like watching them play. They play proper basketball, plus every now and then Ginobli will do some bullshit to keep it interesting. On another note I have a strong feeling Ginobli will do some shit to cost them the series or some games during the series.

The rewards I see from working is what made me an addict.
There's way more people that want it than people that have it.
06-03-2014 02:41 PM
Rotisserie Offline
Banned

(06-03-2014 12:47 PM)SHANbangs Wrote:  It is, in a way, an incredibly "beta" style of basketball. All my really beta friends love the spurs. It is beta because it is all about fear and submission - submitting to a team and a system. It is bad for basketball because, at its purest, most artistic form, basketball is about 5 INDIVIDUALS who use their INDIVIDUAL athleticism and creativity in synergy. The prime examples for this were are every single Team USA and the triangle lakers. Basketball is not, and was not meant to be, a team sport the way soccer or football are.

[Image: kgface_medium.gif]
06-03-2014 02:51 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like Rotisserie's post:
JoyStick, Vacancier Permanent, kapitaw, CJ
Moma Offline
Peacock
Gold Member

I agree with Shanbangs..for all those riding Spurs..let me ask you a question..were the Chicago Bulls with Michael Jordan fundamentally unsound? Were they boring?

OUR NEW BLOG!

An Ode To Lizards
06-03-2014 03:01 PM
JoyStick Offline
Pelican

(06-03-2014 02:41 PM)YoungDominican Wrote:  Nah the Spurs aren't boring, I actually like watching them play. They play proper basketball, plus every now and then Ginobli will do some bullshit to keep it interesting. On another note I have a strong feeling Ginobli will do some shit to cost them the series or some games during the series.

I hope he goes beast mode and redeem himself from last year. I still ginobelieve!!!
06-03-2014 04:04 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes JoyStick's post:
Vacancier Permanent
JoyStick Offline
Pelican

(06-03-2014 03:01 PM)Moma Wrote:  I agree with Shanbangs..for all those riding Spurs..let me ask you a question..were the Chicago Bulls with Michael Jordan fundamentally unsound? Were they boring?

the bulls of the 90's were obviously not boring. I don't see how that shows that the spurs are boring though. Just of of curiosity, did you think the Stockton led Jazz were boring?
06-03-2014 04:26 PM
Chewbacon Offline
Kingfisher
Gold Member

(06-03-2014 04:26 PM)JoyStick Wrote:  
(06-03-2014 03:01 PM)Moma Wrote:  I agree with Shanbangs..for all those riding Spurs..let me ask you a question..were the Chicago Bulls with Michael Jordan fundamentally unsound? Were they boring?

the bulls of the 90's were obviously not boring. I don't see how that shows that the spurs are boring though. Just of of curiosity, did you think the Stockton led Jazz were boring?

YES! I hated the stockton jazz. Pick and rolll, pick and roll. More pick and roll.

I also did not enjoy watching the 7 secs or less suns as much as other people did. Too much system (and as we can see, once removed from the system, the component parts couldn't replicate their success).
06-03-2014 04:30 PM
ddjembe mutombo Offline
Woodpecker

(06-03-2014 12:47 PM)SHANbangs Wrote:  It is, in a way, an incredibly "beta" style of basketball. All my really beta friends love the spurs. It is beta because it is all about fear and submission - submitting to a team and a system.

HAHA! Somebody reads to many man-o-sphere articles!

Anyway, people that show up to the hardwood and play hero ball are those who think the Spurs are boring. These are the people that don't understand that you pass even to the people that have no game. Why is that? Because they are viewing the court form a different angle, and they may be one easy pass away to another teammate with a good shot. I constantly play with people that think they can take over games, or that someone should be neglected on offense. What happens when the defense realizes the ball is not running through someone? They stop guarding him! Now your "team of 4" has to deal with a guy hovering around and providing constant help defense. This definitely makes getting points much harder. Even if you are the most dominant player in the room you should be smart enough to know you don't want to deal with a constant double team. I love guarding those hero ballers because I know they'd rather take a contested 18 ft fadeaway than pass to the open man cutting to the rim.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2014 04:42 PM by ddjembe mutombo.)
06-03-2014 04:41 PM
[-] The following 5 users Like ddjembe mutombo's post:
Rotisserie, JoyStick, Vacancier Permanent, Professor Fox, SpiderKing
Rotisserie Offline
Banned

(06-03-2014 04:41 PM)ddjembe mutombo Wrote:  These are the people that don't understand that you pass even to the people that have no game... I constantly play with people that think they can take over games, or that someone should be neglected on offense. ... I love guarding those hero ballers because I know they'd rather take a contested 18 ft fadeaway than pass to the open man cutting to the rim.

+1 just on basic basketball pickup etiquette, haha. We should seriously run some ball.

I confess sometimes I'm a combination of a team player and a hot dog. I'm a PG through and through. I like playing the team game and getting EVERYONE involved, even passing to a dude that can't walk and chew gum at the same time. It's just a more fun game.

BUT... I can be a hot dog, and few things give me more satisfaction/more of a rush than doing a spin move in the lane and laying it in w/ either hand... putting it through another show-boaters legs... making people fall... blocking the shit out of some guy that thinks he's the shit...

The part where you say you like to guard the opposing hot dog is also one of my favorite things to do. Sometimes it's more satisfying than even playing well offensively. One of my best buddies thinks he's the shit and actively tells me not to pass it to other players, only to him. I like teaching his ass a lesson 1 on 1. Feels fucking great seeing a guys confidence crumble and just pass the ball off in defeat because he can't handle solid defense.

What's strange is the most annoying people to play are guys that play like the Spurs... lots of off-ball picks, backdoor cuts, etc. I'm talking about beneath the basket cuts/picks before the ball is inbounded in 3 on 3. For these guys, my favorite is to play with guys like ddjembe where I can actually trust a switch. It's demoralizing for these teams when they try to run a shitty pickup Princeton offense and realize they're running around like chickens with their heads cut off while we just stand around switching at everything.

I second an RVF pickup tournament.
06-03-2014 05:07 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like Rotisserie's post:
JoyStick, Vacancier Permanent, Professor Fox, SpiderKing