Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

The NBA Thread
2Wycked Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

RE: The NBA Thread
Lew Alcindor is blue-pill:

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: We Need To Stamp Out Misogyny In Sports

Not only that, but he is either dumber than dogshit or just a left-wing hack:

Quote:But we can’t let go of this question: Why in America do our mentally disturbed take out their anger so violently? In a September 19th, 2013 op-ed article in The New York Times, Stanford University psychological anthropology professor T.M. Luhrmann explained how when schizophrenics in Chennai, India hear voices, they are told to do domestic chores like cook, clean or bathe. But schizophrenics in San Mateo, California hear voices that tell them to do very violent actions like cut off a head and drink the blood. In India they clean; in America they kill. America also has the highest gun ownership rate in the world. And our number of multiple killings is nearly as many as the entire rest of the world combined.

I imagine that he sees as access to guns = bad, as if the private ownership of guns was a social ill in and of itself. This line of thought leads to feminists to say that the relationship between guns and masculinity as inherently bad.

Old Chinese Man Wrote:  why you wonder how many man another man bang? why you care who bang who mr high school drama man
(This post was last modified: 06-13-2014 01:32 AM by 2Wycked.)
06-13-2014 01:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes 2Wycked's post:
JoyStick
Rutting Elephant Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

(06-11-2014 05:54 PM)ddjembe mutombo Wrote:  Pick-up related (Off-topic to NBA):

I was playing pick-up at lunch today and had this guy that was just slapping the hell out of my arms on drives, reaching in the post, and wrapping me up when I beat him with footwork near the rim. The guy was a bit smaller and weaker than me so I didn't really want to call the foul because it was just pick-up (you can't foul out... ball goes up top to check in) and I was in good scoring position. So what am I supposed to do but fight through it. I started basically pushing off when ever he would try to reach or wrap me up and the guy started barking "push off again and I'll punch you in the face"! What in the hell? Did he not know that he was fouling me on every possession? Who gets pissed off like that when they are already playing dirty?

Been there. Waited til an opening where I could get a running layup at the basket while shouting "I climax in your face!" then banged into him hard at the release. Other guys (friends) were laughing so the guy would only look like more of a punk if he tried to fight.
This only works if you make the shot.
(This post was last modified: 06-13-2014 02:45 AM by Rutting Elephant.)
06-13-2014 02:42 AM
Professor Fox Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

[Image: popovich_duncan.jpg]
06-13-2014 03:23 AM
[-] The following 4 users Like Professor Fox's post:
JoyStick, Giovonny, Mentavious, Aer
MY DETROIT PLAYAS Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

Game 1 - Thu, June 5, Miami at San Antonio, 9 p.m. ET, ABC Spurs 110-Heat 95
Game 2 - Sun, June 8, Miami at San Antonio, 8 p.m. ET, ABC Heat 98 -Spurs 96
Game 3 - Tue, June 10, San Antonio at Miami, 9 p.m. ET, ABC Spurs 111 - Heat 92
Game 4 - Thu, June 12, San Antonio at Miami, 9 p.m. ET, ABC Spurs 107 - Heat 96
Game 5 * Sun, June 15, Miami at San Antonio, 8 p.m. ET, ABC ???

*Game 6 WON'T be necessary

MDP
06-13-2014 10:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 6 users Like MY DETROIT PLAYAS's post:
Mentavious, ddjembe mutombo, Brosemite, Vacancier Permanent, Professor Fox, booshala
ddjembe mutombo Offline
Woodpecker

(06-12-2014 06:54 PM)SHANbangs Wrote:  what's the consensus on defenders undercutting you when you take a shot? I'm a pretty good three poitner and I hate it when guys undercut me because 1) it really makes me worry they're going to run into my knees and injure them, or that I might land on their foot (this has in fact happened 3 or 4 times) and 2) it seems like a really cowardly thing to do - if you're gonna contst the shot, contest the shot.

Instead, what I see happen a lot is - and this is fairly common when I played pick up in Shanghai - guys would not contest the shot but instead duck down, charge towards me, and then clap. Really pissed me off. Is this frowned upon? Or am I being extra sensitive?
I've land on a foot every once in a while. 99% of the time in pick-up it is because the defender just doesn't have that much organized basketball experience and lost track of his feet. I've only sprained my ankle once from landing on a foot, and that was when I euro-stepped right onto one (probably my own fault). I play in low tops and I have relatively strong ankles so I might tweak when I come down from a jumper, but it is nothing more than something I can walk off.

The whole drive and clap is common with bad defenders. I play mostly with people that have high school, college or international experience so my defender is usually glued to me until he legitimately needs to provide help defense. My old gym was usually filled with NBA players' siblings. When I occasionally walk into pick-up at the park is when I will run into people that drive and clap. It doesn't bother me because 1) I know they won't actually form tackle me 2) They are giving me an incredibly good look at the basket. All in all, it is just terrible and lazy perimeter defense. You should honestly pump-fake (to draw the charge) then drive past the mother fucker. If he gets in your way then just run through him and call a blocking foul. Anytime I am in a one-on-one fast break, I just pick up the ball after I pass the 3-pt line and attempt a euro-step around the defender. If he gets in my way then it is a blocking foul. If he doesn't then I get an easy layup.

(06-12-2014 09:26 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  That monster dunk by Leonard made me jump off my seat!
I really thought about posting a status update on Facebook after that...

"Leonard putback dunk is proof that #spursareboring"

I went to school on the east coast where the collective belief is that Kobe and Melo are how basketball should be played.
06-13-2014 10:47 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like ddjembe mutombo's post:
JoyStick, Vacancier Permanent
Aer Offline
Woodpecker

If the Spurs win the chip this year, will we shift into a more egalitarian, team basketball oriented era? We saw how that could work when implemented correctly and if all players are on the same page (how did Atlanta take the Pacers to 7). The mantra of passing and teamwork will spread across the league, and shoot first players will suffer.

J.R. Smith will go bankrupt. Hell I wish it was James Dolan who went bankrupt.

Disgruntled Knicks fan here.

M.A. in Pastry Arts with a minor in Heteronormative Demisexual Studies
06-13-2014 10:54 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Aer's post:
Rutting Elephant
YoungDominican Offline
Woodpecker

I'm sure they could make a video like that on many NBA players but this video makes Wade look bad.
Basic mistakes.

The rewards I see from working is what made me an addict.
There's way more people that want it than people that have it.
(This post was last modified: 06-13-2014 05:40 PM by YoungDominican.)
06-13-2014 05:29 PM
JoyStick Offline
Pelican

D. Wade probably got money on the spurs. lol
06-13-2014 06:25 PM
Brosemite Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

(06-13-2014 10:54 AM)Aer Wrote:  If the Spurs win the chip this year, will we shift into a more egalitarian, team basketball oriented era? We saw how that could work when implemented correctly and if all players are on the same page (how did Atlanta take the Pacers to 7). The mantra of passing and teamwork will spread across the league, and shoot first players will suffer.

J.R. Smith will go bankrupt. Hell I wish it was James Dolan who went bankrupt.

Disgruntled Knicks fan here.

Takes a lot of reps, strenuous player development, right personnel and time to build chemistry for a system like this to work successfully. Great model...but to implement it as effectively as the Spurs do is easier said than done.

yb13
06-13-2014 08:40 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Brosemite's post:
Joga Bonito, Vacancier Permanent, JoyStick
Travesty Offline
Crow
Gold Member

Only way I see Miami winning Game 5 is if LeBron gets in the lane and gets fouled to the point the Spurs get in foul trouble and he opens up the outside for 3s that could be hit. Bosh also has to play very well.

I haven't followed this season at all until the finals. I agree the Spurs are the much better team and probably the best team they have had since David Robinson. Miami is also the worst team of the last 4 years. I didn't even know about Rashard Lewis, I thought he always had a slow release and really had little to contribute outside 3s. Mike Miller, Ray Allen, and Shane Battier were always much better in my mind.

Why aren't Battier and Haslem being played? I don't understand did they both age 5 years since last year and are too old now?

Don't get me wrong the Spurs execution is flawless, but I feel no electricity watching them. It feels like watching the best basketball summer camp for high school players ever assembled.

Bigger question for the Spurs fans:

What teams in the last 20 years would have a chance at beating this Spurs team in the Finals when they are playing at this level?

Late 80s Detroit defense?

Jordan's Bulls?

I think this Spurs team would beat the Shaq / Kobe teams if they played at this level, but it would be a tough series 6 or 7 games.
(This post was last modified: 06-13-2014 08:53 PM by Travesty.)
06-13-2014 08:48 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Travesty's post:
Giovonny, Vacancier Permanent
JoyStick Offline
Pelican

Remember when Manu choked last year and the whole Spurs organization was still supportive of him and still resigned him? I wonder how the Heats are going to treat Wade after the finals.
06-13-2014 09:13 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like JoyStick's post:
Brosemite, Giovonny, Vacancier Permanent, joshbar
Brosemite Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

(06-13-2014 09:13 PM)JoyStick Wrote:  Remember when Manu choked last year and the whole Spurs organization was still supportive of him and still resigned him? I wonder how the Heats are going to treat Wade after the finals.

Yeah he was crucial in three of their rings...especially that 03 title during his rookie season proving to be the final piece of that puzzle after Tony Parker one season before that.

yb13
06-13-2014 09:44 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like Brosemite's post:
Giovonny, JoyStick, Vacancier Permanent, Professor Fox
hoops330 Offline
Woodpecker

If David Stern were still in charge you can bet this series would go to seven...business first
06-14-2014 10:58 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like hoops330's post:
Vacancier Permanent, JoyStick
JoyStick Offline
Pelican

(06-14-2014 10:58 AM)hoops330 Wrote:  If David Stern were still in charge you can bet this series would go to seven...business first

and it would've probably been OKC in the finals.
06-14-2014 12:09 PM
samsamsam Offline
Peacock
Gold Member

Fuck Stern, he fucked the Lakers. And I am not even a big Lakers fan. He vetoed the Chris Paul deal and sent Lamar Odom onto useless land because he couldn't handle it emotionally that he was traded.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2
06-14-2014 12:40 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes samsamsam's post:
JoyStick
JoyStick Offline
Pelican

Haha Stern did fuck the Lakers over with CP3, but it's unfair to blame him for Odom being mentally and emotionally weak. Dude was too busy keeping up with the Kardashians! lol
06-14-2014 01:13 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes JoyStick's post:
samsamsam
JoyStick Offline
Pelican

Guys, I think I figured out what's going on with the Heats.

06-14-2014 04:52 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes JoyStick's post:
Cr33pin
JayMillz Offline
Hummingbird

Maybe best shooting guard after Jordan??

06-14-2014 06:25 PM
YoungDominican Offline
Woodpecker

(06-13-2014 05:29 PM)YoungDominican Wrote:  

I'm sure they could make a video like that on many NBA players but this video makes Wade look bad.
Basic mistakes.
Uploader took down video, copyright issues, here it is -
http://deadspin.com/dwyane-wade-playing-...1590887916

The rewards I see from working is what made me an addict.
There's way more people that want it than people that have it.
06-14-2014 06:41 PM
Justinian Offline
Pigeon

Again I will shout out to you all that this Heat thing is a fake dynasty that never was and never will be. No other candidate for the mantle of dynasty has each year had such a cakewalk through a very weak East to meet up with a West team that has been put through a 3 round torture test to get there. Never mind the regular season constantly playing the Milwaukees, Clevelands, Sixers type teams vs. a totally different story in the West. I agree with Van Gundy's comment that any number of West teams would have been favoured in this Final. Just the unbelievable luck of this Heat thing that they got the Big 3 together at the same time as this massive talent imbalance in the league and still it took a miracle for them to get a repeat.

The video posted by YD is hugely significant - I don't think you could make a similar one on players on successful playoff teams. The huge difference with the Spurs is Pop wouldn't accept this and would chew him out on national TV and bench him but it seems like Spo can't do that to Wade so the mediocrity becomes acceptable. Wade's status and ego are more important than excellence. This has become about a dominant organizational model and team culture belittling an inferior fake dynasty.

And the video doesn't even show the play with Leonard overwhelming Wade to take it away from him like man against child in Q4 http://bleacherreport.com/articles/20965...s-in-steal Wade ends up on the floor looking up at the ref and pleading while Kawhi takes off with it on offense. Parker then misses a corner 3, a long rebound comes out to Leonard then Wade shows up late to foul him and that about sums it up.

I noticed Wade flopping a lot and not getting any calls and it may be the price he's paying for that flop where he faked being hit in the face by Ginobili. I don't think the refs appreciate being shown up by that kind of totally fake flop. Miami has benefited a lot from questionable calls from flops on their run, not something a dynasty should have to do, the refs are on to them now and it's not gonna work for them anymore against this Spurs juggernaut.

This could have been a sweep if not for Lebron's huge Game 2 which probably would have gone for naught if the Spurs hadn't come up empty from that Chalmers flagrant foul. Getting swept aside would have been an appropriately pathetic end to the dynasty that never was. And remember this was a SELF-PROCLAIMED promise of a dynasty. What an absolute farce.
06-15-2014 07:01 AM
[-] The following 5 users Like Justinian's post:
kapitaw, JayMillz, Giovonny, kosko, JoyStick
JayMillz Offline
Hummingbird

06-15-2014 09:22 AM
JoyStick Offline
Pelican

06-15-2014 05:39 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like JoyStick's post:
Vacancier Permanent, Giovonny
Slim Shady Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

Ginobiliiiiiiiiii!!!!!!! Gonna rally that epic comeback. Get that finals MVP

You don't get there till you get there
06-15-2014 07:30 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Slim Shady's post:
JoyStick, Vacancier Permanent
JayMillz Offline
Hummingbird

Spurs are playing timid and not keeping the ball moving. Glad to see Pop sit Parker because he was trying to go to the hoop on LBJ and looking for the refs to bail him out like game 2
06-15-2014 07:31 PM
JayMillz Offline
Hummingbird

Refs are giving the Heat life!
06-15-2014 07:39 PM