Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Russian language: no more bullshit
swuglyfe Away
Woodpecker

RE: Russian language: no more bullshit
Anyone out there who have done/know both Polish and Russian, what is the delta between and what are the underlying similarities between Russian and Polish. By May I will have finished 2 years' worth of continuous intensive Russian study, covering a strong foundation of basic vocab, verbal aspect, and all cases. How easy/difficult would it be and what kind of a foundation would I have to work with on Polish?

Thanks in advance.
01-31-2016 04:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
262 Offline
Banned

^^^
My Polish girl took a few Russian courses (so Polish -> Russian rather than Russian -> Polish). As I understand from her, it's easier than no Slavic-language background. It's kinda like moving between Romance languages (ie Spanish -> French).
02-01-2016 03:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Gopnik Offline
Woodpecker
Gold Member

(01-31-2016 04:23 PM)swuglyfe Wrote:  Anyone out there who have done/know both Polish and Russian, what is the delta between and what are the underlying similarities between Russian and Polish. By May I will have finished 2 years' worth of continuous intensive Russian study, covering a strong foundation of basic vocab, verbal aspect, and all cases. How easy/difficult would it be and what kind of a foundation would I have to work with on Polish?

Thanks in advance.

I've been studying both for almost 2 years now. I started from scratch and I'm not fluent yet so take this with a grain of salt. From personal experience I can say that Polish is deifinitely harder due to:

-More complicated case system. The prepositional case and the nominative plural are really easy in Russian but considerably complicated in Polish (nom. plural and locative decline based on gender AND last consonant). On top of that, instead of the accusative as with most direct object constructions, a lot of verbs take the genitive instead, for no particular reason. Polish also uses some cases a bit differently. The instrumental case for example is more common than in Russian.

-The gender system is more complex in Polish. In Russian you just have masculine, feminine and neuter (and animacy: animate/inanimate). In Polish on top of having animate/inanimate, you also divide the masculine gender into personal and non-personal and the plural into two pronouns: "oni" (if it's all men or men + women) and "one" if it's only women or women and small children ("dziecko").

-Verb conjugations are much easier in Russian. For the past tense, you only have 4 forms: masculine, feminine, neuter and plural (although in practice the neuter one is rarely used) whereas in Polish, verbs have a different form for the 1st person singular, 2nd person, 3rd person...etc (one for each pronoun: ja, ty, on, ona, on, my, wy, oni, one). Similarly, the conditional tense is also more complex in Polish.

-Russian has slightly more borrowed words from English (and a few from French and German).

Luckily, the case endings are mostly very similar, almost identical for both languages (except for the previous exceptions) and the grammar generally works quite similarly. Knowing Russian definitely helps with Polish although general vocabullary can be very different. Everynow and then you might find a few verbs and nouns that are almost identical, but for the most part a lot of words and expressions are surprisingly different. For general comprehension matters they can sometimes complement each other, e.g "My name is..."

Polish: Mam na imię...
Russian: Меня зовут...

You would think this is completelly different (and it is) but if you know that dzwonić means to call someone in Polish, then you can more or less figure out what зовут (infinitive звонить) means, if you see what I'm saying. There's a lot of similar examples.

Surprisingly knowledge of Spanish helps a lot with both languages, specially Russian e.g use of dative constructions "Me gusta" (literally "it pleases me") which is the same as мне нравится, or "Me aburro" (I'm bored), мне скучно.. etc

I hope this helps.

Тот, кто не рискует, тот не пьет шампанского
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2016 03:50 PM by Gopnik.)
02-03-2016 03:29 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Gopnik's post:
Gótico, swuglyfe, IntBM
paullyFIRE Away
Pigeon

I'm in love.

02-09-2016 07:34 AM
Seth_Rose Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

What does your guys' daily routine look like for language learning?

Right now mine is:

1a.) 30 minute Skype session with tutor from iTalki (2x per week)
or
1b.) Audio Lesson on RussianPod101
2.) Go through a couple dozen flashcards on Anki
3.) Read an article on rambler.ru or ria.ru and try to translate it, adding new vocab words to Anki

I feel like I could do more work though and want to see what your guys have.

Blog - Twitter
02-14-2016 10:07 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Seth_Rose's post:
signoria
bucky Offline
Kingfisher

(02-14-2016 10:07 PM)Seth_Rose Wrote:  What does your guys' daily routine look like for language learning?

Right now mine is:

1a.) 30 minute Skype session with tutor from iTalki (2x per week)
or
1b.) Audio Lesson on RussianPod101
2.) Go through a couple dozen flashcards on Anki
3.) Read an article on rambler.ru or ria.ru and try to translate it, adding new vocab words to Anki

I feel like I could do more work though and want to see what your guys have.

that sounds pretty good. how long does it all take you? when i was learning russian, i committed to at least two hours a day. sometimes i would do as much as four. i was very hungry to learn.

you're not actually somewhere over in the FSU, are you? if you could find a girlfriend who only speaks russian, that's the best way to learn.

Feminism in ten words: "Stop objectifying women! Can't you see I've hit the wall?" -Leonard D Neubache
02-15-2016 12:45 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes bucky's post:
Seth_Rose
Apollo21 Offline
Woodpecker

Music RE: Russian language: no more bullshit
I currently have Russianpod101 as well. I recently upgraded to their premium service which gets you all the vocab flashcards for each season including the top 2000 words. This is how my daily routine is shaping up:

Vocab Flash Cards(40-60 cards per day): I noticed if I'm familiar with all the vocab in advance
I get more out of the lessons in a season.

Listening Comprehension(1-2 Hours): This is the most varied since you can use their listening comprehension lessons plus youtube videos.

Grammar: I'm mostly studying verb conjugations and accusative/dative/genitive case with video lessons.

I'm still at the beginning stages, however I've got a Ukrainian girl visiting me in two weeks so I'll get a lot more speaking practice when she comes.

Just resist the temptation to watch Russian music videos...they'll take away all your time:-)

02-15-2016 11:47 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Apollo21's post:
Seth_Rose
swuglyfe Away
Woodpecker

(02-03-2016 03:29 PM)Luisaceo Wrote:  snip

Goddamn Luisaceo, thanks for dropping straight fire on that knowledge. Once more, the forum delivers with expert precision the answers I need. Spanish reference on point too; I'm actually studying that also, from a linguistic standpoint fascinating to see other cultures show in much greater detail the use of dative and genitive in particular for constructions rendered differently in English...
02-16-2016 01:03 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes swuglyfe's post:
Gopnik
Seth_Rose Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

(02-15-2016 12:45 AM)bucky Wrote:  that sounds pretty good. how long does it all take you? when i was learning russian, i committed to at least two hours a day. sometimes i would do as much as four. i was very hungry to learn.

you're not actually somewhere over in the FSU, are you? if you could find a girlfriend who only speaks russian, that's the best way to learn.

30 minutes. I could definitely commit more though, maybe some grammar work.

Nope, stateside. Although I'm planning a Russia trip this summer.

(02-15-2016 11:47 AM)Apollo21 Wrote:  I currently have Russianpod101 as well. I recently upgraded to their premium service which gets you all the vocab flashcards for each season including the top 2000 words. This is how my daily routine is shaping up:

Vocab Flash Cards(40-60 cards per day): I noticed if I'm familiar with all the vocab in advance
I get more out of the lessons in a season.

Listening Comprehension(1-2 Hours): This is the most varied since you can use their listening comprehension lessons plus youtube videos.

Grammar: I'm mostly studying verb conjugations and accusative/dative/genitive case with video lessons.

Yeah I really like RussianPod. There's a ton of content on there. I've only been doing the audio lessons, and because I only have a basic membership access to other stuff is limited. I don't have access to the grammar bank so I may have to find something else.

Blog - Twitter
02-16-2016 08:35 AM
Apollo21 Offline
Woodpecker

I also found this article helpful for tips on creating a good routine:
http://fourhourworkweek.com/2014/03/21/h...anguage-2/

I had basic access for about a month before I tried out premium...it's worth it...especially since you can study
lesson vocab in one place with romanization and audio clips for the words and phrases.
02-17-2016 04:49 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Apollo21's post:
262, Seth_Rose
369eyedea Offline
Robin

I think some of you might enjoy this movie, it's uploaded in parts on YT.
About a guy who tries to pick up a girl (who has a massive rack), and invites his friend. She proceeds to play them off against each other as they go for a stroll (progulka) around Piter. Lots of red pill themes. The dialogue is really nicely done.

Где ближайший зоомагазин?
02-26-2016 05:55 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like 369eyedea's post:
Gopnik, PeruLover12
Gopnik Offline
Woodpecker
Gold Member

(02-26-2016 05:55 PM)369eyedea Wrote:  

I think some of you might enjoy this movie, it's uploaded in parts on YT.
About a guy who tries to pick up a girl (who has a massive rack), and invites his friend. She proceeds to play them off against each other as they go for a stroll (progulka) around Piter. Lots of red pill themes. The dialogue is really nicely done.

Very good vocab right there. With a little help from google translate, it makes for a very entertaining study session. A few useful expressions from the first minutes of the film:

Обожаю гулять с загадочными девушками! = I adore going for a walk with a mysterious girl!

Сила воли = willpower

Давай на "ты"! = Let's be informal! (hard to translate but I think this one is used VERY often when meeting someone for the first time who you don't want to refer to as "вы")

Прекрасное предложение! = Great suggestion!

Как привлечь внимание девушки? = how do you attract the attention of a girl? (How do you get a girl to notice you?)

Просто мое воображение! = Just my imagination!

Скажи! Я не обижусь! = Tell me! I won't get offended!

(обижаться/Обидется) = to take offense

я ценю твою честность = I appreciate your honesty

Я не верю в дружбу между мужчиной и женщиной = I don't believe in friendship between a man and a woman.

Мне хочется тебя поцеловать! = I feel like kissing you!/I want to kiss you!

I'm curious, can anyone comment on how common is it for russian guys to run this "thirsty-confident" game during the day?

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2016 10:38 AM by Gopnik.)
02-27-2016 10:36 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Gopnik's post:
PeruLover12, Shanghello
369eyedea Offline
Robin

@Luisaceo

Smashing it bro, good work! I think you'll enjoy the rest of the movie if you're so dedicated to your russian. молодец!

I'm also interested, if someone could chime in, about this type of 'thirsty confident game' of russian guys in russia.

Где ближайший зоомагазин?
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2016 05:23 AM by 369eyedea.)
02-28-2016 05:22 AM
bucky Offline
Kingfisher

(02-28-2016 05:22 AM)369eyedea Wrote:  @Luisaceo

Smashing it bro, good work! I think you'll enjoy the rest of the movie if you're so dedicated to your russian. молодец!

I'm also interested, if someone could chime in, about this type of 'thirsty confident game' of russian guys in russia.

took me a while to work out the meaning of "Где ближайший зоомагазин?" in my head, but i chuckled when i did.

Feminism in ten words: "Stop objectifying women! Can't you see I've hit the wall?" -Leonard D Neubache
02-28-2016 11:54 AM
Brodiaga Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

A good Russian equivalent of the pet shop line is:

Девушка, вы не подскажете как пройти в библиотеку?

I think it's from an old movie. Sounds funny, especially if you approach a girl at night outside of a bar or a night club.
02-28-2016 11:59 AM
Disco_Volante Offline
Banned

what does Buvayet mean? sounds like Boo-vy-et
02-28-2016 01:27 PM
Gopnik Offline
Woodpecker
Gold Member

(02-28-2016 01:27 PM)Disco_Volante Wrote:  what does Buvayet mean? sounds like Boo-vy-et

I think you mean "бывает" from the verb бывать. It means "it happens", it's often used in sentences like "Да, бывает" ("yeah, sometimes it happens"). You can also use the verb to signify "to visit" "or hang out" as in "я часто там бываю" ("I often hang out there").

(This post was last modified: 02-28-2016 02:20 PM by Gopnik.)
02-28-2016 02:18 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gopnik's post:
Disco_Volante
nomadd Offline
Pigeon

(02-28-2016 01:27 PM)Disco_Volante Wrote:  what does Buvayet mean? sounds like Boo-vy-et

It's not "buvayet", it sounds more like bi'vayet.
02-28-2016 05:30 PM
RandomGuy1 Offline
Robin
Gold Member

(02-27-2016 10:36 AM)Luisaceo Wrote:  Обожаю гулять с загадочными девушками! = I adore going for a walk with a mysterious girl!

Is the singular here right or should it rather be ".. mysterious girls!"

(02-28-2016 11:54 AM)bucky Wrote:  took me a while to work out the meaning of "Где ближайший зоомагазин?" in my head, but i chuckled when i did.

Can you share it please. I don't get it.. Dodgy

(02-28-2016 11:59 AM)Brodiaga Wrote:  A good Russian equivalent of the pet shop line is:

I think it's from an old movie. Sounds funny, especially if you approach a girl at night outside of a bar or a night club.

So it would be something like: Hey girl/babe you can't show me the way to the library, don't you?

I'm total newbie to understand russian humor if it is meant to be funny btw.

Aggregation of Airbnb posts by category
02-28-2016 05:34 PM
nomadd Offline
Pigeon

(02-28-2016 05:34 PM)RandomGuy1 Wrote:  
(02-27-2016 10:36 AM)Luisaceo Wrote:  Обожаю гулять с загадочными девушками! = I adore going for a walk with a mysterious girl!

Is the singular here right or should it rather be ".. mysterious girls!"

(02-28-2016 11:54 AM)bucky Wrote:  took me a while to work out the meaning of "Где ближайший зоомагазин?" in my head, but i chuckled when i did.

Can you share it please. I don't get it.. Dodgy

(02-28-2016 11:59 AM)Brodiaga Wrote:  A good Russian equivalent of the pet shop line is:

So it would be something like: Hey girl/babe you can't show me the way to the library, don't you?

I'm total newbie to understand russian humor if it is meant to be funny btw.

It's not babe. Девушка means lady, so his line was a polite form of asking where is the library.
02-28-2016 05:40 PM
samsamsam Offline
Peacock
Gold Member

A bit of a boring presenter but talks about how much better it is to learn when you can attach some emotional reaction to the word. I am sure we all remember certain words easily because of some moment in our lives or some visual.

Anyway, he talks about watching movies in Russian with English subtitles and then having the translation in a text doc. Not sure where to find the Russian translations of Russian films but I might look into it further. Thought it was interesting. So you would have Russian spoken, English subtitles and on the side the Russian translation. Pretty comprehensive.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2
03-01-2016 03:15 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like samsamsam's post:
PeruLover12, Courage Reborn, Shanghello
PeruLover12 Offline
Woodpecker
Gold Member

I recently read a book about the Russian language that I can highly recommend to learners of the language. 'The Russian Word's Worth' is a huge 450 pages of Russian phrases, slang, idioms and insights into Russian life you will not find so well laid out and accessible in any other book. The author moved to the USSR from the States in the late 70's and has lived in Moscow ever since working as a translator and journalist. This book is a compendium of much of her knowledge.

The book contains hundreds of phrases and words that you would be hard pressed to find the meaning of anywhere else. How many of us intermediate learners even know the meaning of such phrases as девушка с приветом or кольбаситься or чесать языком or мы будем в шоколаде? Well I didn't anyway. These are the kind of phrases that will take your Russian from text book or classroom language and onto a more natural way of speaking and understanding. It's amazing how when you learn a new idiom you suddenly hear it popping up in songs and films.

The best thing about the book is that it is written not in a text book form listing words in lists, but rather as a series of experiences from the author's life in Moscow which makes it engaging and pleasurable to dive into at random points and find nuggets of information to be extracted and used. I keep it by my bed and last thing at night have a read.

Highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/Russian-Words-Wort...%27s+worth
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2016 08:21 AM by PeruLover12.)
03-01-2016 08:12 AM
[-] The following 6 users Like PeruLover12's post:
samsamsam, Gopnik, 262, crudeloyalist, orbiter, Traktor
RandomGuy1 Offline
Robin
Gold Member

^
Could you please post a sample page. Unfortunately Amazon does not provide at least one page Angry

Aggregation of Airbnb posts by category
03-01-2016 03:44 PM
samsamsam Offline
Peacock
Gold Member

Minor rant.

So I have taken a beating lately in Russian. I have focused primarily on speaking and it seems my tutor is comfortable enough with my speaking that she decided to smash Russian grammar up my ass. Graphic I know.

Now my pace of speaking is slowing down as I try to make sure I have everything in good order.

I enjoyed it so much more when I could just riff away. I picked up some words properly just through her verbal corrections or hearing a word said a certain way in a certain position (object, subject, etc.)

Everyone tells me grammar is hard and I am just a bit frustrated but I will keep pushing.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2
03-04-2016 11:00 AM
orbiter Offline
Pigeon

(03-01-2016 08:12 AM)The Ligurian Wrote:  мы будем в шоколаде.

This "mui budem v shokoladye" phrase made me remember the book Streetwise Russian with Audio CD: Speak and Understand Everyday Russian.

I can recommend this book for Russian slang. It is meant for students who, according to the introduction, "have a good foundation in Russian". My previous learning includes the Pimsleur Russian series, the alphabet, some practice while traveling and a decent amount of online texting while translating stuff I did not understand. This is more than enough to benefit from the book.

The book is divided into three sections - "Guy talk", "Girl talk", and "Teenager talk".

There are conversations containing several slang expressions in each. The first conversation includes the phrase about being "in chocolate", and the containing sentence includes an additional slang expression. Here's the given explanation:

в шоколаде, пока все в говне ---> sitting pretty, while everyone else is in crap. Equivalent expression : У всех всё плохо кроме тебя.

The book has exercises, and also cultural notes - e.g. about drinking vodka. The audio part includes not only the conversations, but also the important words to notice read out. Note that the cheaper Kindle version does not give you the audio.

Now a bit more extensive example. One of the "Girl talk" chapters contains the following, I only give the English translation:

Masha: Where's your ex? He was such a hottie. All the girls were dying for him! Why didn't it work out?
Lydia: I dumped him, and have no regrets. He was a hick and a moocher. He pulled up his fly and then didn't have a care in the world. I was working two jobs, and he did not give a damn. All he cared about was hanging out with his damn loser friends. He was good at sleeping until noon, and his neck was on a swivel toward any miniskirt. Do you have anybody? Inquiring minds want to know, girlfriend ...

A review here.
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2016 07:40 PM by orbiter.)
03-04-2016 07:24 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes orbiter's post:
PeruLover12

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Calorie Calculators are Bullshit Steelex 10 7,296 07-26-2017 01:55 AM
Last Post: king bast
  The Stock Market is bullshit cardguy 198 76,688 05-29-2014 07:27 AM
Last Post: Steve9
  The best no bullshit fitness and weight traning site I've seen speakeasy 31 21,935 01-29-2014 05:51 PM
Last Post: theking