I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

The Stephen King Appreciation Thread
Laner Offline
Hummingbird
Gold Member

RE: The Stephen King Appreciation Thread
(08-11-2017 07:30 AM)sterling_archer Wrote:  Have you watched it? Does it look rushed or missing a lot? I read the first book and while the concept is very interesting I didn't have enough motivation to read more. Maybe sometimes I will try audiobooks versions.
Anyways, I think they couldn't portray enough of the atmosphere of the first book into the movie without messing something up. It simply reality that happens to even the best of directors and screenwriters.

I watched it recently. I thought it was awesome.

I watched it once in the morning at my hotel, thought about it all day at work, then re watched it that night.

To note, the Dark Tower series are my favorites. I loved the books, and re read them in 2010 during a time of great emotional pain. Back to back, one after the other, for 2 months. Roland's story kept me motivated.
06-16-2018 03:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Laner's post:
sterling_archer
ChefAllDay Offline
Kingfisher

I tried watching The Dark Tower tonight. I made it 20 minutes in and had to stop it. Just too cheesy. Loved most of the other King novels/movies but that one as just bad IMO.

"Women however should get a spanking at least once a week by their husbands and boyfriends - that should be mandated by law" - Zelcorpion
06-16-2018 09:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Kurgan Offline
Kingfisher

(06-15-2018 09:31 AM)Tail Gunner Wrote:  A film version of "Doctor Sleep," sequel to "The Shining," is in the works.

https://www.newsmax.com/thewire/the-shin...id/866276/

I heard about that. I read the original version of "The Shining" a while back and always wanted to read Doctor Sleep.
06-16-2018 09:44 PM
tobehero Away
Woodpecker

Wish they would reboot Dark Tower like spiderman. Someone is bound to get it right.
06-17-2018 01:55 PM
Tail Gunner Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

I just finished reading "Sleeping Beauties." I think that Stephen King may have lost his freaking mind. A feminist screed against masculinity that also takes random shots at President Trump, the second Amendment, Christianity, and manly men.

The dumb ass has a note at the end of the book about his research into various things raised by the novel (such as women's prisons), yet the book routinely makes idiotic remarks about firearms, such as mentioning a revolver with a manual safety (revolvers do not need, and do not have, safeties), which could be researched in less than a minute on the internet.
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2019 11:21 PM by Tail Gunner.)
07-14-2019 11:20 PM
[-] The following 6 users Like Tail Gunner's post:
Bienvenuto, kruger41, Richard Turpin, DamienCasanova, Sankt Michael, robreke
Richard Turpin Offline
Kingfisher

As a teen I read a load of SK books and enjoyed them at the time. Mostly this was because it was pre-internet and horror books were a good way of getting access to some risque (at the time) material; guaranteed sex and violence. My views on him and his books are clouded by those wonderful nostalgic feels I get when I think back to reading IT, Carrie, Cujo etc at school in my break-times.

So it's difficult to remain impartial. Although it probably speaks volumes that despite being an avid reader, I haven't read or re-read one of his books for the best part of 20 years! Maybe I'm missing out?

‘After you’ve got two eye-witness accounts, following an automobile accident, you begin
To worry about history’ – Tim Allen
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2019 04:17 AM by Richard Turpin.)
07-15-2019 04:16 AM
Bienvenuto Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

^Its a bit like Alan Moore though.

During the 80's these guys were way ahead of the curve.. V for Vendetta was written in the same year as the Falklands conflict. Watchmen was written in 1985.

They are interesting people on account of their talent, their world view at that time and their catalogue of work.

But these days they are collapsing inwardly into fuddy-duddy-ism and low energy narcissism whilst they pump up their SJW-ism in order to stay relevant.

They were always weird introverts who used their geekery as a shield to live in the world of their imagination.

these days they want to be 'relevant' and cool a la Tony Blair, Bono, Mick jagger.. whilst still retaining quality in their output, because? I used to be famous for good stuff..

Surprise surprise - it doesn't work that way.
07-15-2019 05:03 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like Bienvenuto's post:
Richard Turpin, DamienCasanova, Tail Gunner
CDRhodes Offline
Sparrow

I used to enjoy King’s stuff when I was a teenager but as I got older and read more, I came to realize that he’s basically the Great Value brand Lovecraft.
07-15-2019 05:32 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes CDRhodes's post:
kruger41
BlastbeatCasanova Online
Kingfisher

Some of his books are legendary. The Dark Tower series and a lot of his older books are absolute gold, but he is such a lunatic Trump hater that it’s hard to take him seriously these days
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2019 08:59 AM by BlastbeatCasanova.)
07-15-2019 08:59 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlastbeatCasanova's post:
DamienCasanova
Tail Gunner Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

(07-15-2019 04:16 AM)Richard Turpin Wrote:  As a teen I read a load of SK books and enjoyed them at the time. Mostly this was because it was pre-internet and horror books were a good way of getting access to some risque (at the time) material; guaranteed sex and violence. My views on him and his books are clouded by those wonderful nostalgic feels I get when I think back to reading IT, Carrie, Cujo etc at school in my break-times.

So it's difficult to remain impartial. Although it probably speaks volumes that despite being an avid reader, I haven't read or re-read one of his books for the best part of 20 years! Maybe I'm missing out?

His early works make great reading. As Bienvenuto mentioned, these guys are instilled with the pathological narcissism that now permeates society. They feel that they must subtly preach to the deplorables, rather simply provide good entertainment. I recently re-read "Cujo." Still entertaining for a plane ride. I would certainly not place money into SK's pocket by buying a new book. He has now become the monster. Do not feed him.
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2019 10:38 AM by Tail Gunner.)
07-15-2019 10:34 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tail Gunner's post:
robreke
Cuntus Epicus Offline
Pigeon

Re-read a few stories from 'Skeleton Crew' over the weekend. Always thought his short stories and novella's were often better than his novels due to him having to stop waffling on so much, and tighten his prose.

NightShift and Skeleton Crew the best in my view - certainly some of what would call actual horror stories.

The short post-Salem's lot story 'One for the road' from Night Shift still gives me the chills.

The one that triggered this post though was 'Word Processor of the Gods' - very Red Pill, (first published in Playboy incidentally), certainly worth checking out. Have read it a few times over the years, but this weekend was an 'ah!' moment with a wry smirk emitted.

Sadly it's a far cry from that 'Sleeping Beauties' pish, which I gave up on - never did that before to a SK book and I've read pretty much everything he's done - hopefully it was his son's influence that caused that direction (co-wrote with him)
09-02-2019 06:50 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like Cuntus Epicus's post:
JayR, Solitaire, d'Aversa
JayR Offline
Woodpecker

(09-02-2019 06:50 AM)Cuntus Epicus Wrote:  NightShift and Skeleton Crew the best in my view - certainly some of what would call actual horror stories.

Agreed, some great stories in these early compilations. One of my favorites is "Survivor Type" from Skeleton Crew. They are doing a new 'Creepshow' series and apparently "Survivor Type" will be adapted for the screen.

https://www.shudder.com/movies/watch/cre...19/4953135
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2019 11:46 AM by JayR.)
09-02-2019 11:46 AM
robreke Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

The last SK book I "read" was 11/22/63. It was an audiobook. I was commuting a lot.

A very good book about a guy who finds a portal to the late 1950s and decides to stay and prevent the JFK assassination. It was a very immersive book and I felt transported back to that time by King's writing.

A few years later, I saw an interview or read something about him, I don't remember which, where he was ranting leftist nonsense. I lost interest in reading any more of his stuff after that.

- One planet orbiting a star. Billions of stars in the galaxy. Billions of galaxies in the universe. Approach.

#BallsWin
09-02-2019 02:21 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Best Horror Books/Authors (Outside of Stephen King/Lovecraft) 2Wycked 13 4,844 Yesterday 04:37 PM
Last Post: Bizet
  The Pewdiepie appreciation thread Rudideviz 158 26,854 09-13-2019 11:08 AM
Last Post: [email protected]
  Kona Appreciation Thread Suits 19 2,102 08-25-2019 07:47 PM
Last Post: SlickyBoy