I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

The Russia Thread
icrus Offline
Recovering Beta

RE: The Russia Thread
Sure thing, we can set smth up.

Been to Crimea two years ago and can't really say I can recomment it. It's quite boring imo and not a lot to see. Infrastructure isn't very good either and there were not that many girls. And Kazantip, the reason war our trip, was defunct lol. My buddy still got laid but I was happy when I was back in Moscow.
05-04-2017 12:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes icrus's post:
Fornication
reciproke Offline
Recovering Beta
Gold Member

(05-04-2017 08:28 AM)Cambodian Creamsicle Wrote:  I plan to be in Moscow for the month of June. Can someone clear up this registration requirement? I plan to rent an apartment. My understanding is that usually whatever hotel tourists stay in issue the registration but what is the process if you are staying in an apartment?

That's actually a pretty good question, and despite having been multiple times in Russia I still don't know what is up with the registration. I have never registered once! It has never been an issue. I wouldn't even know how to register without looking it up.

At the passport control at the airport when entering the country I got this migration card. I highly suspect it has to do something with this registration process... but all the fields were already filled out at the passport control and handed to me. I just kept it safely tucked away within my passport and I think they kept the migration card when leaving at the airport.

[Image: migration-card-example.jpg]

I don't really know. Maybe they register you automatically. Or just don't care at the end of the day.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2017 01:05 PM by reciproke.)
05-04-2017 12:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Beijong Offline
Banned

(05-04-2017 12:25 PM)icrus Wrote:  Sure thing, we can set smth up.

Been to Crimea two years ago and can't really say I can recomment it. It's quite boring imo and not a lot to see. Infrastructure isn't very good either and there were not that many girls. And Kazantip, the reason war our trip, was defunct lol. My buddy still got laid but I was happy when I was back in Moscow.

Yeah, I don't imagine Crimea will be the place to be or anything, but it's so relevant in the news and such that I wanna go see it just to see it.
05-04-2017 01:08 PM
Rocha Online
True Player
Gold Member

(05-04-2017 01:08 PM)Beijong Wrote:  
(05-04-2017 12:25 PM)icrus Wrote:  Sure thing, we can set smth up.

Yeah, I don't imagine Crimea will be the place to be or anything, but it's so relevant in the news and such that I wanna go see it just to see it.

It is worth the trip for the landscape, it is indeed a very beautiful and special place. For gaming was a total disappointment for me. Unfortunately I only spent a few hours in Simferopol, seemed the only place with potential for gaming, but it is far from the seaside.

"Поехали!!" (Yuri Gagarin, 1961)

Twitter - Роча
05-04-2017 01:19 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rocha's post:
Beijong
Strelka Offline
Beta Orbiter
Gold Member

For registration - if you're doing a weekly rental or longer (especially paying the prices on AirBnB) tell the host to register you. They should do it for you.

They'll need your passport (photo should work) and registration card. Then they go to the post office, fill out a form and submit it. That's it.

Has worked for all of my visits to Russia.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2017 01:54 PM by Strelka.)
05-04-2017 01:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
edlefou Offline
Chubby Chaser

Regarding visa registration: legally, it's the apartment owner's duty to do it, but get the registration document anyways, just in case.

I've made several trips to Russia in the past couple of years and I always made sure to get the registration, but I've never been asked for it at the airport or on the train when I'm leaving the country. They only want the arrival/departure paper.

When I googled visa registration, pretty much all the visa support sites say it's the traveller's responsibility to show the registration documents when they leave the country, but that may be incorrect.

However, I always make sure I have the registration with me and you should as well, even if it may technically be the apartment owner's responsibility. I simply don't want to risk getting into trouble with the Russians and possibly being denied a visa in the future.

Many Airbnb places won't do the registration, probably because it's an agent who doesn't have the ownership documents. I always screen for listings that can do visa registration.

Another tip: if the owner asks you to come along for the registration, make up an excuse not to go because you don't need to be there in person and it's a very long and boring process. Make sure you give them a copy of your passport, visa, and arrival/departure card. I once made the mistake of going with the owner to register the visa and it's not something I'd ever do again: 3 hours at the post office waiting in line and filling out forms and several times the bureaucrat made us fill out the forms again because of a small typo (instead of simply letting us make a correction to the same form).
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2017 04:25 AM by edlefou.)
05-06-2017 04:09 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes edlefou's post:
Dantes
Jpizz Offline
Male Feminist
Silver Member

I stayed at a hotel in Moscow and airbnb in Peter and got the registration card from both. The hotel did it for free and the airbnb host charged me.

When I got to the airport to return to NYC the customs agent didn't ask to see them and couldn't have cared less when I tried to show him. Still I'd probably do it again just to be safe
05-06-2017 10:04 AM
TripleG Offline
Wingman
Gold Member

Airbnb hosts who are not willing to do the registration are not worth the hassle nor are one's who make you go with them to the post office. The best is to get the best of both world's, get a managed "business apartment". Theyare a bit more expensive on average but that way you get the advantages of a hotel (concierge on call), worker to greet you, fill out forms plus cleaning service on demand, however you still get the advantages of a typical airbnb apartment in that most of them tend to be in normal residential buildings so you don't have to deal with lobby attendands/hotel security nor any other rules like quiet hours that most hotels enforce. Here's an example:

https://www.booking.com/hotel/ru/moscow-...ments.html
05-06-2017 04:07 PM
churros Offline
Banned

For the dudes who make repeated trips: how do you cut down visa costs? I just got stung for $580 with an agency. Won't be letting that happen again.
05-06-2017 09:56 PM
panester Offline
Male Feminist

(05-06-2017 04:07 PM)TripleG Wrote:  Airbnb hosts who are not willing to do the registration are not worth the hassle nor are one's who make you go with them to the post office. The best is to get the best of both world's, get a managed "business apartment". Theyare a bit more expensive on average but that way you get the advantages of a hotel (concierge on call), worker to greet you, fill out forms plus cleaning service on demand, however you still get the advantages of a typical airbnb apartment in that most of them tend to be in normal residential buildings so you don't have to deal with lobby attendands/hotel security nor any other rules like quiet hours that most hotels enforce. Here's an example:

https://www.booking.com/hotel/ru/moscow-...ments.html

What if the plan is to stay in a hotel (or business apt) for 1-2 nights (in order to get registered) and then transition to an airbnb (for pussy slaying purposes + decreased cost of living ) for the remainder of our stay? Has anyone ever tried this?

According to the migration card that reciproke posted, the document asks for length of stay. As everyone else has stated, customs officials don't (usually) ask to see the card, but in the rare chance that they do, we could possibly be screwed if they look at all of the details.
05-07-2017 12:17 AM
edlefou Offline
Chubby Chaser

(05-06-2017 09:56 PM)churros Wrote:  For the dudes who make repeated trips: how do you cut down visa costs? I just got stung for $580 with an agency. Won't be letting that happen again.

If you're American, the 5 year visa is the most cost-effective.

I'm not American, so I get the 1 year multi-entry business visa.

My costs last year were:

50 EUR for invitation letter
56 EUR for visa application
18 EUR for medical insurance

That works out to about $136 USD, plus a couple bucks for photos, so let's say $140 USD total.

Sounds like the agency made a tidy profit from you.
05-07-2017 03:15 AM
edlefou Offline
Chubby Chaser

(05-07-2017 12:17 AM)panester Wrote:  What if the plan is to stay in a hotel (or business apt) for 1-2 nights (in order to get registered) and then transition to an airbnb (for pussy slaying purposes + decreased cost of living ) for the remainder of our stay? Has anyone ever tried this?

You only have to register if you're staying 7 working days or more, so your hotel stay would have to be at least 7 working days in order for that plan to work.

However, the registration form has the date you're leaving, so if anyone were to actually look at your paperwork they'd notice you're no longer registered.

Furthermore, even if nobody ever looks at your paperwork, the registration is probably entered into a database somewhere, so there's a chance it might flag the discrepancy between your registration document and your arrival/departure document.

I've never heard of that happening to anyone, but why risk losing access to all that Russian poon?

If you really want to avoid registration, just switch cities every 6 working days. Head to Siberia. I've been there. It's fun.
05-07-2017 03:31 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes edlefou's post:
TripleG
panester Offline
Male Feminist

(05-07-2017 03:31 AM)edlefou Wrote:  
(05-07-2017 12:17 AM)panester Wrote:  What if the plan is to stay in a hotel (or business apt) for 1-2 nights (in order to get registered) and then transition to an airbnb (for pussy slaying purposes + decreased cost of living ) for the remainder of our stay? Has anyone ever tried this?

If you really want to avoid registration, just switch cities every 6 working days. Head to Siberia. I've been there. It's fun.

My goal isn't to avoid registration, but more so to figure out the best way to accomplish this while I apply my long term airbnb strategy.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this, but I usually stay at a hotel for about a week or so while I check out different apts on airbnb. This allows me to meet with different airbnb hosts in order to negotiate the best price and at the same time "inspect" each apt to make sure that it meets my needs for long term living. You'd be surprised to find how many hosts are open to negotiate outside of the website when you mention that you'll pay cash.
05-07-2017 05:45 AM
reciproke Offline
Recovering Beta
Gold Member

Has anyone ever had his registration checked at some point?
05-07-2017 05:56 AM
TripleG Offline
Wingman
Gold Member

(05-07-2017 05:45 AM)panester Wrote:  
(05-07-2017 03:31 AM)edlefou Wrote:  

My goal isn't to avoid registration, but more so to figure out the best way to accomplish this while I apply my long term airbnb strategy.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this, but I usually stay at a hotel for about a week or so while I check out different apts on airbnb. This allows me to meet with different airbnb hosts in order to negotiate the best price and at the same time "inspect" each apt to make sure that it meets my needs for long term living. You'd be surprised to find how many hosts are open to negotiate outside of the website when you mention that you'll pay cash.

I am of the idea that logistics is everything in Moscow and therefore do not believe in staying past the first circle. You're not gonna find many cheap airbnb apartment prices within the first Golden Circle, especially in modern buildings that have conveniences such as balcony with city view, flat screen tv, modern appliances/kitchen, metro stop, and most importantly walking distance to key points such as Red Square, Arbat, October Island, or Gorky Park...all the places that make it worthwhile to visit Moscow. Moscow is a very walkable city if staying in the center however I just don't see too many airbnb hosts willing to negotiate in these areas especially during the summer tourism season.

Also, even for someone like myself who is fluent in Russian and can befriend immigrant gypsi cab drivers late at night the logistical hassle of looking for quick and cheap transportation back to your crib at 3am after a night of going out is not worth it if you live far in some unknown neighborhood of Stalin-era apartment blocks, therefore I am still a bit proponent of business apartments as mentioned in my last post. They can be had for as little as $70/night in the best area's of Moscow. Sure, these prices can be too expensive for some of the forum readers here but if one cannot afford to spend at least $100/day in Moscow on lodging/food/drinks/dates then they may as well not even hit up Moscow as most activities are super expensive. Even a simple date such as going up the elevator to Ostankino tower will set you back 1,000Rubles (~$18).

Related to this I would not skip registration, but instead use the convenience of these apartments and let them take care of paperwork for you. When you are reserving them you can always try to negotiate a better price if staying for more than 1 week in Moscow. I've seen 15% discounts for long-term stay.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2017 04:29 PM by TripleG.)
05-07-2017 04:28 PM
[-] The following 10 users Like TripleG's post:
rishboy77, Kaizen, Jpizz, panester, AkiKinnunen, Menace, Going strong, njimko22, vettel96, Fornication
Cambodian Creamsicle Offline
Banned

I brought up the registration because Krauser had a blog post recently describing the huge pain in the ass he went through, but on second look the problem was in Belarus, not Russia.

But tren again I spent a month in an Airbnb in Belarus without registering and had no issues leaving the country, so I guess the standards vary.
05-08-2017 04:11 AM
edlefou Offline
Chubby Chaser

(05-07-2017 04:28 PM)TripleG Wrote:  I am of the idea that logistics is everything in Moscow and therefore do not believe in staying past the first circle. You're not gonna find many cheap airbnb apartment prices within the first Golden Circle, especially in modern buildings that have conveniences such as balcony with city view, flat screen tv, modern appliances/kitchen, metro stop, and most importantly walking distance to key points such as Red Square, Arbat, October Island, or Gorky Park...all the places that make it worthwhile to visit Moscow. Moscow is a very walkable city if staying in the center however I just don't see too many airbnb hosts willing to negotiate in these areas especially during the summer tourism season.

Also, even for someone like myself who is fluent in Russian and can befriend immigrant gypsi cab drivers late at night the logistical hassle of looking for quick and cheap transportation back to your crib at 3am after a night of going out is not worth it if you live far in some unknown neighborhood of Stalin-era apartment blocks, therefore I am still a bit proponent of business apartments as mentioned in my last post. They can be had for as little as $70/night in the best area's of Moscow. Sure, these prices can be too expensive for some of the forum readers here but if one cannot afford to spend at least $100/day in Moscow on lodging/food/drinks/dates then they may as well not even hit up Moscow as most activities are super expensive. Even a simple date such as going up the elevator to Ostankino tower will set you back 1,000Rubles (~$18).

Related to this I would not skip registration, but instead use the convenience of these apartments and let them take care of paperwork for you. When you are reserving them you can always try to negotiate a better price if staying for more than 1 week in Moscow. I've seen 15% discounts for long-term stay.

TripleG is right on the money. Moscow is extremely walkable in the center and there's a walking culture where hotties will dress up and strut around all day.

During peak demand you won't be able to negotiate any sort of discount.

I've found that by April most of the good places (reasonable price and good location) in Moscow are already taken, leaving only the pricier ones (100K rubles per month or more).

Also, if you're going to negotiate, you might as well live there for a few days first to suss out the situation, then do a cash extension longer term instead of staying in a hotel at first like panester proposed.
05-08-2017 07:36 AM
[-] The following 4 users Like edlefou's post:
panester, Going strong, Gallego2006, Fornication
churros Offline
Banned

Are slight overstays on the visa very serious, like one or two days?
05-08-2017 09:22 AM
_Cicero Offline
Recovering Beta

My take on the registration is don't worry about it if you're in Moscow for less than a month. Probably fine if just for two months. As I wrote before, I've had mine checked once in three years -- immigration came to my house and asked for my papers. But I think they knew my address precisely because my secretary registered me.

I need my registration for various government documents, opening bank accounts, and this kind of stuff. Have never been checked on the street, or anything like that.
05-08-2017 01:20 PM
Spider Offline
Chubby Chaser
Gold Member

Planning on making my first trip to Moscow toward the end of June, hopefully for a 2 week stay. Taking the advice of Dantes and TripleG, will look for an AirBnB in Tverskaya, between Pushinskaya and Mayakovskaya metro stations (pretty sure that's close to the center).

Using Duolingo everyday and turned my Tinder location to Moscow. Surprised to already have a few girls on WhatsApp eager to meet after only swiping for a few days. Will use Russiancupid to try and pipeline as well, and will read through a lot of this thread to see if I can pickup as much info as possible. I have a tendency to travel blindly and figure out what I'm going to do only a day or 2 before I arrive - think for Moscow it's better to come prepared.

Hope to meet some of you guys out there.
05-08-2017 10:24 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Spider's post:
Kaizen, Chaos, Beijong
JeanJaq Offline
Game Denialist

I had a overstay for 5 days once. It was not a big deal at the airport while trying to fly back to m country but, well, maybe I was just lucky. Cant recommend.

"It’s great that they (UK) have a locktight system to keep their citizens safe from a thought criminal like myself, yet somehow thousands of Muslim immigrants manage to enter the country to sexually mutilate and abuse females, including children."
Roosh V, July 2018
05-10-2017 02:45 AM
AkiKinnunen Offline
Banned

Alphaputin puts a Western feminist reporter on her place and goes play hockey like boss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6MTz7qEg78 surprised
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 12:52 AM by AkiKinnunen.)
05-12-2017 12:50 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes AkiKinnunen's post:
Kaizen
Chaos Offline
True Player
Gold Member

Has anyone been to Kaliningrad recently?
05-18-2017 02:17 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chaos's post:
eck
churros Offline
Banned

Holy shit! I just got fucked out of $100 by one of these Russian vixens. I’m writing this up for the sake of my brothers here on RVF, in case this happens to you. I’m an experienced traveller and can usually spot this a mile away. But crucially, I speak no Russian, so am helpless if something goes wrong.

First week in Piter. Tinder is blowing up, two bangs already this week. Several more on the slow burn. I was gonna chill tonight, but I get a match last minute. She’s a 7.5 in the photos (maybe 6.5 in reality). She’s down to meet now, so I head out. Strange she’s so spontaneous for a Russian.

I don’t have my bars on lock down here, so I usually let the girls choose. She brought me to a bar on Nevsky, “Secret Services”. We’re looking at the menu, and she only drinks wine. I’m looking at the beers, but nah. She points at the bottles. Not cheap, but when the waiter comes, I aim for the cheaper end.

Oh, well surprise surprise, they don’t have that one. Nor that one. Actually they only have the 5000 ruble one. I’m still wondering whether it’s by the bottle, or glass… It’s the bottle. The wine is shitty. I comment the tables are too big, so she comes and sits beside me. Very forward for a Russian. Something is off.

She’s gets a call. Do I mind if her friend comes along? At this point alarm bells are tingling. I say actually I prefer not. The friend comes right in, doesn’t look at me, and they both rush out to talk.

But she comes back. Weirdly cool with ditching her friend, but alright. Now I’m escalating, but her temperament shifts. She’s not pulling away, but clearly uncomfortable. Obviously the guys she takes in here don't escalate so quickly.

Waiter comes in. Do I want cheeses, food… She’s constantly refilling the glasses, making sure they’re full. Extremely attentive for a Russian waiter. So much so, I wave them away rudely.

Chick starts yawning, she needs to leave. I’m like fuck this, we’re splitting the bill this time. Maybe I’ll even bail. Head to bathroom, but it’s right by the table, no cover to make an exit… But I still haven't gathered my thoughts enough to be decisive. I blow my chance.

So I head back, and the check arrives. I say we’re splitting. Then begins the drama. Chick starts fake crying. The waitresses both arrive and start pressuring me. I keep my cool. They are talking only to me. I am insisting we split the bill. They “can’t split”, they say.

So the waiters go and we sit there. The chick has “no money” is “poor student”. Open your wallet, I say. I’m happy to grab whatever for token value. She refuses. Making comments about how much the “dollar” is worth. She'll "pay me back", yeh fuckin right... In Russia, the men always pay, she says... Usually I do but not this time.

I’m like, we can wait for the police. But no we fucking can’t. I’ve heard about Russian police, and I’m fresh meat. Maybe she even has friends outside. I need to cut my losses and get out of here.

After 15 mins, I get up and pay. Waiter makes sure I sign twice, checks my signature. The chick is now behind me whining and pretending to be sorry, creating a distraction. I wave her off and sign the bills. I drop the pen aggressively, and the waiter starts giving me shit. I give it back to them, and walk out.

Only now do I piece this all together. When it played out shit wasn’t that clear. But holy shit! I can’t believe this happened.

Actually just cancelled the card to be safe, and reported the charge a fraud. Let's see if I get my money back.

I’m taking it in good humour, but it’s true what they say, you don’t get girls like this in the west!
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2017 05:18 PM by churros.)
05-18-2017 04:53 PM
[-] The following 8 users Like churros's post:
Rocha, Perdidogringo, njimko22, Chaos, Beijong, Gopnik, C-Note, Dragan
Perdidogringo Offline
Game Denialist

I'm enjoying hearing about your adventures, Churros. I'll be moving to St. Pete for a new job in a few months and I will be set up nicely. Hoping to learn a few things from your experiences before I touch down there.
05-18-2017 06:26 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Central Russia vs Southern Russia avantgarde 1 4,626 12-04-2017 04:07 PM
Last Post: JeanJaq
  Russia or Ukraine(spec. Lviv or southern Russia) avantgarde 4 6,005 01-01-2013 12:21 PM
Last Post: jimukr104