I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Lifter's Lounge
Anabasis to Desta Away
Banned

RE: Lifter's Lounge
(01-27-2016 12:05 AM)StrikeBack Wrote:  
(01-25-2016 09:07 AM)CrashBangWallop Wrote:  ^^ Absolutely.

Lats require so much mind-muscle connection. You have to feel and squeeze every rep.

It's easy to go to heavy and end up using all sorts of other muscles to do most of the work.

Lats and glutes take forever to build proper mind-muscle connection.

When doing any type of rowing movement, it's not just pulling the bar toward you and squeezing your shoulder blades together, but rather an upside down arching motion (like the letter "U" but stretched out.) in combination with pulling your elbows back and upwards. It took me some time to understand but the lat activation is unreal.
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2016 01:40 AM by Anabasis to Desta.)
01-27-2016 01:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
SigmundSauer Offline
Game Denialist

(01-27-2016 01:39 AM)Anabasis to Desta Wrote:  
(01-27-2016 12:05 AM)StrikeBack Wrote:  
(01-25-2016 09:07 AM)CrashBangWallop Wrote:  ^^ Absolutely.

Lats require so much mind-muscle connection. You have to feel and squeeze every rep.

It's easy to go to heavy and end up using all sorts of other muscles to do most of the work.

Lats and glutes take forever to build proper mind-muscle connection.

When doing any type of rowing movement, it's not just pulling the bar toward you and squeezing your shoulder blades together, but rather an upside down arching motion (like the letter "U" but stretched out.) in combination with pulling your elbows back and upwards. It took me some time to understand but the lat activation is unreal.

When I row after doing my lat work with other stuff, I have to purposely avoid this to focus on my posterior delts to work the shoulders more, haha
01-27-2016 07:44 AM
realologist Offline
True Player
Gold Member

My deadlift was severely lacking in strength and it plateaued quickly. I knew it was because of my lower back not being quite strong enough.

To improve my lower back strength I've been doing stiff legged deadlifts only instead of conventional deadlift. Today I hit my previous mark I had with a conventional deadlift. Feels damn good!
01-27-2016 06:10 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes realologist's post:
H1N1
StrikeBack Offline
True Player
Gold Member

(01-27-2016 12:12 AM)RexImperator Wrote:  I think there is only a libido boost for easier squats. As the weight gets heavier and heavier and you grind out sets I find I mostly just want to collapse on the couch.

With heavy squats, I always leave reps in the tank (e.g around RPE 9) per set, and often stick to around 3 reps or less. I leave the gym feeling like I can conquer the world, and also get very horny. One of my favourite things to do at the moment is to meet up with my girlfriend after training (me with lifting, her with yoga) and Kermit

When I lift with around RPE 9 and 3 or less reps per set, I can do many more sets than I would if I go for say 5 reps at RPE 10 (i.e no more reps in the tank), and as a result, I'd get more training volume in and thus more skill practice. This is very important for powerlifting, as lifting heavy weights is mostly a skill.

I never train to failure or grind out sets on heavy squats and deadlifts. I want to have a life after training sessions, and also because I train very often (daily), I want to sustain the effort, not go hard for a couple of weeks then burn out. That's no good for competing in powerlifting either.

(01-27-2016 12:35 AM)MiscBrah Wrote:  I don't understand why people think the small testosterone and GH boosts from lifting result in any appreciable muscle gains. Unless you are going to the upper end of the range or hitting supra physiological levels by using gear (neither of those happen from lifting) their will be no muscle gain or physiological changes.

This isn't directed at anyone here but I just see that mentioned far too much online.

I disagree, based on my physique transformation from a typical skinny fat Asian to a jacked one, without gear, and with just heavy lifting. I know quite a few like me in powerlifting. I have no idea how much of a boost I have from lifting, but my T level, as checked by a recent blood test, is very high for a natural male, and based on my past skinny fat pictures, I used to be low. My muscle mass, as shown on DEXA scans, is beyond the Excellent / Athlete zone for my size.

Maybe it did not happen fast, like within a year, but with time, it will show.

StrikeBack's Wife School
01-27-2016 08:20 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like StrikeBack's post:
philosophical_recovery, Benoit, Seth_Rose
StrikeBack Offline
True Player
Gold Member

(01-27-2016 06:10 PM)realologist Wrote:  My deadlift was severely lacking in strength and it plateaued quickly. I knew it was because of my lower back not being quite strong enough.

To improve my lower back strength I've been doing stiff legged deadlifts only instead of conventional deadlift. Today I hit my previous mark I had with a conventional deadlift. Feels damn good!

Excellent work. Smile

I've written before either in my Deadlift thread or the Novice one, that some of the best beginners programs I know do not have the full conventional deadlift for beginners, but have a variation like stiff-legged or Romanian deadlift, and a shitload of squats. That's better to build foundational strength for novices. The full conventional deadlift is used as a demonstration of strength rather than a strength builder.

Personally I use stiff-legged or deficit deadlift to build my low back strength for squat and deadlift.

StrikeBack's Wife School
01-27-2016 08:23 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like StrikeBack's post:
realologist, philosophical_recovery, Anabasis to Desta
RexImperator Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

Quote:I don't understand why people think the small testosterone and GH boosts from lifting result in any appreciable muscle gains. Unless you are going to the upper end of the range or hitting supra physiological levels by using gear (neither of those happen from lifting) their will be no muscle gain or physiological changes.

This isn't directed at anyone here but I just see that mentioned far too much online.

Yes, I agree that this is a myth. Squats probably make your other lifts go up since they strengthen your core, that's all.

At most maybe they'll make you sleep better.

Strikeback, do those RTS RPE Numbers match up with a specific percentage of 1RM or does it just depend how you're feeling that day?

Bella, horrida bella
et Thybrim multo spumantem sanguine cerno
01-27-2016 10:25 PM
StrikeBack Offline
True Player
Gold Member

If I do x3 @9, usually it's around 80ish % of 1RM. Specific numbers would obviously depend on the day, as my daily 1RM will fluctuate. x2 @9 would be closer or even above 90%, again depending on the day. The weight may change between sets. Generally if I do x3 or x2 for a few weeks in a row, I'd try to lift more than previous weeks on average.

StrikeBack's Wife School
01-27-2016 10:59 PM
RexImperator Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

And how do you set new 1RMs?

I'm just wondering because at 80% of my 1RM, I would need to lift that weight for a set of 9 to set a new 1RM.

Bella, horrida bella
01-27-2016 11:42 PM
VincentVinturi Offline
Alpha Male
Gold Member

(01-26-2016 11:24 PM)philosophical_recovery Wrote:  
(01-26-2016 10:50 PM)samsamsam Wrote:  VV or Philosphical can you break down what that means? He squatted every day. 5 sets each day of 5 reps at 80-90% of 1 rep max. I got that right?

Man...

Yes.

The Stronglifts routine has you warm up first, but you hit 5 sets of 5 reps of the same weight. Madcow takes this and adds a ramp up, as it is an intermediate level and it's a lot more difficult to progress for some people because they get totally gassed on the earlier sets. To improve, they need to spend less effort on lower weights, mainly just to prepare for the final set. Similar with 5 3 1, but they change it so that the amount of effort is cyclic, not consistent every week, making you work closer to your 1 rep max on your final set than either.

What he did was basically be a total badass and force himself to kick ass every. single. fucking. day.

For me to do that, I'd have to rest quite a bit between sets. Normally I get a 30second-1 minute rest on my ramp sets, and push the rest before the last, heavy one for more like 2-3 minutes. Otherwise, sometimes I bust the set and have to drop down to the safety bars.

He also probably ate like a monster.

To clarify:

1. Yes, it's 5 sets of 5 reps @ 80%-90% of 1RM, Monday-Friday.

As it's gotten heavier though I've switched to 5 sets of 3.

2. I've also been practicing unracking and walking out with weights beyond my 1RM just to get used to the feeling of setting up for super heavy sets.

I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this but I came up with the idea myself and it's been educational.

There's simply no way you're going to unrack and walk out with 2x bodyweight uninjured without getting tight as FUCK and getting the Valsalva from hell going.

It also makes you acutely aware of the position of the bar on your back relative to the midfoot because any forward or backward deviation is felt in the lower back.

3. I'm resting 2-4 minutes in between sets.

4. I'm sleeping 8-10 hours per night and nutrition is 100% on point.

5. It all sounds pretty beastly but I'm actually pathetically weak relative to accepted strength standards.

I've only been lifting seriously and reading/studying this shit for about a year and I've got a loooong way to go.

The reason I decided to try the Bulgarian style is mostly to work on form and motor pathway (groove) and because 80% of my 1RM relative to my bodyweight is still a pretty light weight relative to my frame.

I'm 80kg and my 1RM is about 120kg, maybe a bit more since I haven't maxed in months.

I'm much more interested in building perfect form and lifting injury free for the rest of my life than hitting vanity metrics.

I know from my jiu jitsu journey that progress in this kind of thing is slow and steady if you show up consistently and dedicate yourself as a student of proper mechanics and technical immaculacy.

Not to mention we don't really have any switched on powerlifters here in Thailand whom we can appeal to for solid advice and coaching.

We have to figure this shit out on our own with YouTube videos, asking questions on forums and trial & error.

I figure, the numbers will take care of themselves eventually.

And if not, there's always the sauce. Kissy

Quote:I disagree, based on my physique transformation from a typical skinny fat Asian to a jacked one, without gear, and with just heavy lifting. I know quite a few like me in powerlifting. I have no idea how much of a boost I have from lifting, but my T level, as checked by a recent blood test, is very high for a natural male, and based on my past skinny fat pictures, I used to be low. My muscle mass, as shown on DEXA scans, is beyond the Excellent / Athlete zone for my size.

@StrikeBack - that's really interesting.

Would you say that reaching up into the higher echelons of powerlifting forces some pretty significant adaptations?

I just wonder if a dude can jack up his T levels by say 200, 300, 400 ng/dL over time by pushing the envelope on heavy lifting alone (all else being equal).

My Latest Book On How To Make Money Online By Offering A Service Check It Out Here
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2016 02:06 AM by VincentVinturi.)
01-28-2016 01:56 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes VincentVinturi's post:
Fortis
Fortis Away
International Playboy
Gold Member

So guys, thanks for the advice.

I hit the lats really hard with low weight kettlebell rows. I played around with dumbbells but i like the KBs the best for the simple arm row because, for whatever reason, I can squeeze my lats harder when using them. I made sure to really focus and squeeze the lats super hard. It felt perfect.

Gonna keep up this exercise for a bit in conjunction with my pull ups and see what happens.

I will be checking my PMs weekly, so you can catch me there. I will not be posting.
01-28-2016 05:04 AM
Seth_Rose Offline
Alpha Male
Gold Member

I recently got MyFitnessPal to track calories, and am surprisingly falling short on getting carbs in. I just sucked down a candy bar to try and hit my macros lol but that's not conducive in the long-run for me. Fruit is always handy, but doesn't pack a ton of calories.

You guys have any suggestions for sources of carbs that are quick and easy to consume?

Blog - Twitter
01-28-2016 06:36 PM
StrikeBack Offline
True Player
Gold Member

(01-27-2016 11:42 PM)RexImperator Wrote:  And how do you set new 1RMs?

I'm just wondering because at 80% of my 1RM, I would need to lift that weight for a set of 9 to set a new 1RM.

I set new 1RMs in powerlifting competitions, about every 3-4 months. Smile

Once you've done actual 1RMs a few times, you get the feel for what you can possibly lift as a 1RM on any given day, as you get to the first work set. If 160kg x3 moves smoothly and explosively, you might have 190kg as 1RM. If that is hard, then you might have 180kg.

As you get more experienced, the gap between your 1RM and 5RM (or 3RM) should increase. 5RM usually is about between 80~83% of 1RM, for squat and deadlift. Bench (or other smaller lifts like overhead press) should be a higher percentage though.

If your 5RM and 1RM are fairly close, it points to a few things:

- Lack of 1RM experience
- Training not targeted towards having a bigger 1RM
- Technique not suitable for producing maximal force (i.e like a 1RM)

In other words, for strength purpose, you are not getting good ROI. You have to lift a lot more weights for 5 reps to get a better 1RM.

Lots of people have this problem including long time lifters who are new to powerlifting. One of my current training partners would out-squat me for 3x5 by 12.5kg (~27lbs) in training, but in competition I beat him by 10kg (22lb) on the squat.

I have been in the same boat as well when I first started. I used to beat a training partner by 10kg on the deadlift for 3x5 in training, then he would beat me by 15~20kg in competition where it actually matters.

Many people train by grinding out 5x5 or whatever week after week, month after month, and that makes them pretty good at... grinding out 5 reps. Their 1RM usually is barely above their 5s. I don't like grinding, I want to lift as smoothly and explosively as possible, so that every rep is perfect technically. That's how you achieve both better strength and not burning yourself out at the gym. You can still train very hard with this. My total training volume exceeds my training partners', but I don't look like I train as hard because I'm not exhausted by the end of the session.

I would still stick to primarily the 75%~90% range (mostly 75~85%, saving the 90% range for every few weeks), between 2-5 reps (for squat and deadlift mostly, you can work higher ranges for benching) and do more sets if you think it's not hard enough. You know it's easy enough for now, so you can concentrate on the setup, technique and simply lift faster. Eventually your xRM will start to resemble the default chart on this page (give or take a few %):

http://forum.reactivetrainingsystems.com...-RPE-Chart

StrikeBack's Wife School
01-28-2016 07:24 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrikeBack's post:
H1N1
StrikeBack Offline
True Player
Gold Member

(01-28-2016 01:56 AM)VincentVinturi Wrote:  
Quote:I disagree, based on my physique transformation from a typical skinny fat Asian to a jacked one, without gear, and with just heavy lifting. I know quite a few like me in powerlifting. I have no idea how much of a boost I have from lifting, but my T level, as checked by a recent blood test, is very high for a natural male, and based on my past skinny fat pictures, I used to be low. My muscle mass, as shown on DEXA scans, is beyond the Excellent / Athlete zone for my size.

@StrikeBack - that's really interesting.

Would you say that reaching up into the higher echelons of powerlifting forces some pretty significant adaptations?

I just wonder if a dude can jack up his T levels by say 200, 300, 400 ng/dL over time by pushing the envelope on heavy lifting alone (all else being equal).

I'd say that's entirely possible. The feeling you get after a big set or competition attempts with serious weights is like a huge boost in T level: big surge of confidence, rush of blood through the whole body, extreme horniness, urge to conquer the world etc. My face changed with heavy lifting too, it became more defined, and even my parents were surprised. My beard and chest hair grew thicker too, and keep in mind I started powerlifting at 27 years old.

Recently I've got back to heavy lifting again, after the holiday break, and before that, a short break to take care of a small niggle, and my LTR said that my face is getting more chiselled. My sex drive is also higher now than during the holiday break.

It's a delicate balance though, I feel, because if I get too carried away with heavy lifting (training too long or too frequently) then I'd get too exhausted afterwards and that'd affect my libido for sure.

Among powerlifters I know (seriously drug tested federation affiliated with the IPF, so all natural lifters AFAIK), when they get to a certain level - let's say A grade+, or Elite grade (I'm at the first Elite grade) - they all have a decently muscular physique and look like they have high T. You simply do not see weedy looking guys moving serious weights at that level. Form always follows function.

StrikeBack's Wife School
01-28-2016 07:43 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrikeBack's post:
VincentVinturi
redbeard Offline
True Player
Gold Member

(01-28-2016 06:36 PM)Seth_Rose Wrote:  I recently got MyFitnessPal to track calories, and am surprisingly falling short on getting carbs in. I just sucked down a candy bar to try and hit my macros lol but that's not conducive in the long-run for me. Fruit is always handy, but doesn't pack a ton of calories.

You guys have any suggestions for sources of carbs that are quick and easy to consume?

How many grams of carbs are you trying to eat?

Can you not eat oatmeal?

1 Year NoFap Veteran --- No Days Off in Trump's America
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2016 10:16 PM by redbeard.)
01-28-2016 10:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes redbeard's post:
Seth_Rose
StrikeBack Offline
True Player
Gold Member

(01-28-2016 06:36 PM)Seth_Rose Wrote:  I recently got MyFitnessPal to track calories, and am surprisingly falling short on getting carbs in. I just sucked down a candy bar to try and hit my macros lol but that's not conducive in the long-run for me. Fruit is always handy, but doesn't pack a ton of calories.

I eat ice cream. Banana

StrikeBack's Wife School
01-28-2016 11:43 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like StrikeBack's post:
Benoit, Seth_Rose
VincentVinturi Offline
Alpha Male
Gold Member

Any of you guys ever have shoulder issues from low bar squats?

I've always gone high bar and recently started trying to figure out the low bar position.

The result has been pretty gnarly pain my left shoulder and my right shoulder isn't feeling 100% either.

My Latest Book On How To Make Money Online By Offering A Service Check It Out Here
01-29-2016 10:35 AM
RexImperator Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

I had some left arm pains at first. That's pretty common with low bar squats and it seems to just go away once you add some size. If you search on the Starting Strength forums you'll find some threads about it.

Doing bicep and shoulder stretches help.

You've also got to make sure to push your elbows back and up during the squat and keep the upper back tight or else your arms end up taking some of that weight. Try to imagine bending the bar over your back and pulling yourself up into it, almost like a pull-up.

I have long arms and I also have to use a thumbless grip with that bar position.

Bella, horrida bella
01-29-2016 11:47 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes RexImperator's post:
VincentVinturi
Seth_Rose Offline
Alpha Male
Gold Member

(01-28-2016 10:15 PM)redbeard Wrote:  

How many grams of carbs are you trying to eat?

Can you not eat oatmeal?

I can. I already throw it in my smoothies, but could do more of it.

Do you just eat straight up oatmeal regularly or do you try and get a little more creative with it?

(01-28-2016 11:43 PM)StrikeBack Wrote:  

I eat ice cream. Banana

Ha that's plan B. I'm trying to avoid the IIFYM approach.

Blog - Twitter
01-29-2016 01:00 PM
Benoit Offline
Alpha Male
Gold Member

(01-29-2016 01:00 PM)Seth_Rose Wrote:  
(01-28-2016 11:43 PM)StrikeBack Wrote:  I eat ice cream. Banana

Nothing helps recovery more than a tub of Ben & Jerry's.

"I'd hate myself if I had that kind of attitude, if I were that weak." - Arnold
01-29-2016 02:02 PM
churros Offline
Banned

Can I ask you guys your opinion on this Crossfit offer? They offer an "iron church" program, 3 times a week, focusing on squats, deadlifts, etc. It's two months in total, 240 a month. Seems like crazy money to me. BUT I am a novice lifter, so this might be a good introduction in terms of form etc. Or would I be better off heading to a standard gym, and just learning myself?
01-29-2016 02:05 PM
realologist Offline
True Player
Gold Member

(01-29-2016 02:02 PM)Benoit Wrote:  
(01-29-2016 01:00 PM)Seth_Rose Wrote:  
(01-28-2016 11:43 PM)StrikeBack Wrote:  I eat ice cream. Banana

Nothing helps recovery more than a tub of Ben & Jerry's.

NOTHING!!!!!!!!
[Image: giphy.gif]
01-29-2016 03:01 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes realologist's post:
Hades
Oz. Offline
True Player

I check my max on lifts today... snatch went up 5kg, clean and jerk went up almost 10kg but my squat is at the same point since last month. Overall pretty content with the progress that was made

(11-15-2014 09:06 AM)Little Dark Wrote:  This thread is not going in the direction I was hoping for.
01-29-2016 05:07 PM
redbeard Offline
True Player
Gold Member

I've previously posted about my love for Grip4orce after Mike suggested them.

The past month or so...I've felt limited by them. I couldn't do heavy pressing without massive squeeze on the dumbbell, and I couldn't do thick dips.

I found "Manus Grips." Same shit as Fat Gripz, different name, lower price. Check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/Manus-Grip-Advance...B00CDIMUAK

1 Year NoFap Veteran --- No Days Off in Trump's America
01-29-2016 09:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like redbeard's post:
Vice, Giovonny
Mentavious Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

Did 365 deadlift for reps this morning so I'm feeling good. My goal of 405 for reps is within range by the end of May

I start alternating with stiff legged and Romanian for each leg. I've seen very good improvements in my RDL so I can only attribute my gains to the addition of SDL.

Overall, it's been a good winter so far with working out, basketball leagues and training kids in track. My diet has been on point as well. Gotta have it to keep up with these 14-17 year olds.

A man is only as faithful as his options-Chris Rock
01-30-2016 10:12 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Mentavious's post:
philosophical_recovery, realologist
philosophical_recovery Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

(01-29-2016 09:45 PM)redbeard Wrote:  I've previously posted about my love for Grip4orce after Mike suggested them.

The past month or so...I've felt limited by them. I couldn't do heavy pressing without massive squeeze on the dumbbell, and I couldn't do thick dips.

I found "Manus Grips." Same shit as Fat Gripz, different name, lower price. Check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/Manus-Grip-Advance...B00CDIMUAK

redbeard, when did this start making a difference? Are you using them for all exercises, like barbell bench and deads?

01-30-2016 12:48 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  "Grow Like a New Lifter Again?" Nascimento 9 5,261 05-18-2018 09:36 AM
Last Post: ScrapperTL
  Slow Carb diet a decent beginning for a lifter? stugatz 13 5,563 01-12-2017 04:48 AM
Last Post: Razor Beast