I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Lifter's Lounge
Saweeep Offline
Banned

RE: Lifter's Lounge
(05-09-2016 11:39 AM)Guriko Wrote:  In my industry, martial arts, it's a common theme that the best fighters very, very rarely make the best coaches --> I didn't know that. I thought it was a natural progression of a martial artist to go from trainee to trainer at some point.

Well, it is if you get your information from the Karate Kid and Kung Fu movies haha.

In all seriousness though, it takes a completely different mindset and skill set to effectively coach others at anything.

I love coaching, way more than I love fighting. I've said this before here but I'm 10 times as good a coach as I am a martial artist.

I could see myself in a different life as a teacher or university lecturer. Most serious/elite sportsmen are simply too self absorbed, rightly, to do or think like that.

To those seriously interested in elite kickboxing, look at Badr Hari's (one of my favourite kick boxers) coach Mike, owner of Mike's gym. The guy has NEVER even trained kickboxing, is about 140kg of fat yet is one of the top coaches on the planet.

What's that old saying about books and covers Wink
05-09-2016 11:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like Saweeep's post:
H1N1, Anabasis to Desta, MiscBrah
Guriko Offline
Woodpecker
Gold Member

(05-09-2016 11:47 AM)CrashBangWallop Wrote:  
(05-09-2016 11:39 AM)Guriko Wrote:  In my industry, martial arts, it's a common theme that the best fighters very, very rarely make the best coaches --> I didn't know that. I thought it was a natural progression of a martial artist to go from trainee to trainer at some point.

Well, it is if you get your information from the Karate Kid and Kung Fu movies haha.

In all seriousness though, it takes a completely different mindset and skill set to effectively coach others at anything.

I love coaching, way more than I love fighting. I've said this before here but I'm 10 times as good a coach as I am a martial artist.

I could see myself in a different life as a teacher or university lecturer. Most serious/elite sportsmen are simply too self absorbed, rightly, to do or think like that.

To those seriously interested in elite kickboxing, look at Badr Hari's (one of my favourite kick boxers) coach Mike, owner of Mike's gym. The guy has NEVER even trained kickboxing, is about 140kg of fat yet is one of the top coaches on the planet.

I'll have to give you this one - I do love martial arts movies. Love the choreography, ha-ha.

But they did motivate me to pick up the gloves and I have been training in martial arts for the last three years and most of my coaches are ex-contenders.

The world truly is a big place. So much to see and learn.

Romans 8:31 - 'What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?'

My notes.

Mike Cernovich Compilation 2015 | 2016

The Gold from Bold
05-09-2016 11:55 AM
Hallasan Offline
Robin

So, I went to lift for the first time in a regular gym in nearly 8 weeks. Before the break, I was 1RM Deadlifting 365 lbs RPE 9 and Squat 315 lbs RPE 8. It was admittedly an unmotivated workout after a long day at work and I was mainly just trying to not hurt myself but Squatting 185 5x5 was RPE 8 and Deadlifting 225 5x5 was RPE 8. Got to get back into this shit!!

(I am not in any way attempting to be a powerlifter, I do these exercises because I enjoy doing them. I'd say my focus is 80% bodybuilding).
05-09-2016 10:49 PM
Dominance Offline
Robin

Quote:This is wrong in so many ways. Such an old fashioned argument that is debunked every single day at the high levels of sport.

My S&C coach is a skinny little Fitness Nerd. His clients include top level Pro Boxers, Premier League footballers and the UK's highest level MMA fighters amongst others. He charges double what every other personal trainer in my city costs per hour. He's worth every penny.

He knows more about S&C than anyone I've ever met and I've been in the fitness and fighting game for over 30 years in various ways.

The sports science grads coming out of the top UK sports-centric universities are just so much more knowledgable than anyone before them.

Leicester City won the premier league this year. Perhaps the biggest sporting upset ever. A lot of their success has been attributed to a young Conditioning Coach with big ideas who harassed them for a job straight out of university. He's never played football at a high level.

This argument can be made for just about every discipline of sport/exercise/fitness.

Of course there can be exceptions. But somebodys knowledge should be also shown through their own results and if it's not then it's only theory. How can someone actually understand what a person needs for weight loss for example if they have been skinny all their life but hey they just got the qualification which means nothing. I'd take someone who has achieved it over someone who knows the theory any day. If I walk in to see someone who's training me to build muscle and they have zero muscle i'm walking the fuck out again. Same as if I goto a fitness class and have a big fat person trying to teach it.

So according to your theory these plus size fitness instructors are also equally good? I don't think so.

This goes DOUBLE when it comes to self defense, though not 'looking tough' but having real world experience. If somebody hasn't had the real world experience then it is just theory that sounds good, not proven and that ends up in delusion and 'we do this because my master said so'. Especially if your physical safety is on the line which it could be with self defense training, people who haven't had the real life experience have no business teaching it and deluding people. Where do I get this from? From training in TKD for years and having the instructor talk it up so much then realizing it was fucking useless in a real fight and that he was full of shit and had never even been in a fight, he was just like "oh it should have worked for you after all that training". I've had way more real life experience than him since then to know what works more than he ever will.

And not as much as in fitness, but really big fat out of shape martial arts instructors are nearly as bad.
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2016 02:31 AM by Dominance.)
05-10-2016 02:26 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dominance's post:
dies irae
Fortis Away
Crow
Gold Member

(05-09-2016 11:47 AM)CrashBangWallop Wrote:  

How does he coach people at something he never did? Holy shit.

I will be checking my PMs weekly, so you can catch me there. I will not be posting.
05-10-2016 02:43 AM
Saweeep Offline
Banned

(05-10-2016 02:26 AM)Dominance Wrote:  
Quote:This is wrong in so many ways. Such an old fashioned argument that is debunked every single day at the high levels of sport.

My S&C coach is a skinny little Fitness Nerd. His clients include top level Pro Boxers, Premier League footballers and the UK's highest level MMA fighters amongst others. He charges double what every other personal trainer in my city costs per hour. He's worth every penny.

He knows more about S&C than anyone I've ever met and I've been in the fitness and fighting game for over 30 years in various ways.

The sports science grads coming out of the top UK sports-centric universities are just so much more knowledgable than anyone before them.

Leicester City won the premier league this year. Perhaps the biggest sporting upset ever. A lot of their success has been attributed to a young Conditioning Coach with big ideas who harassed them for a job straight out of university. He's never played football at a high level.

This argument can be made for just about every discipline of sport/exercise/fitness.

Of course there can be exceptions. But somebodys knowledge should be also shown through their own results and if it's not then it's only theory. How can someone actually understand what a person needs for weight loss for example if they have been skinny all their life but hey they just got the qualification which means nothing. I'd take someone who has achieved it over someone who knows the theory any day. If I walk in to see someone who's training me to build muscle and they have zero muscle i'm walking the fuck out again. Same as if I goto a fitness class and have a big fat person trying to teach it.

So according to your theory these plus size fitness instructors are also equally good? I don't think so.

This goes DOUBLE when it comes to self defense, though not 'looking tough' but having real world experience. If somebody hasn't had the real world experience then it is just theory that sounds good, not proven and that ends up in delusion and 'we do this because my master said so'. Especially if your physical safety is on the line which it could be with self defense training, people who haven't had the real life experience have no business teaching it and deluding people. Where do I get this from? From training in TKD for years and having the instructor talk it up so much then realizing it was fucking useless in a real fight and that he was full of shit and had never even been in a fight, he was just like "oh it should have worked for you after all that training". I've had way more real life experience than him since then to know what works more than he ever will.

And not as much as in fitness, but really big fat out of shape martial arts instructors are nearly as bad.

Well you're entitled to your opinion but it's just ridiculous to think that having lost weight oneself makes one be more skilled at getting others to do so.

Michael Jordan had a coach. Lionel Messi has a coach. Floyd Mayweather has a coach. Tiger Woods had a coach...

Coaches should be judged on their coaching and nothing else.
05-10-2016 04:02 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Saweeep's post:
MiscBrah
ball dont lie Offline
Kingfisher
Gold Member

Question about a loose hip joint:

For a while my right hip/femur joint has been a bit loose. I think its beginnings were from a long time ago when I injured that leg, spraining the knee seriously playing basketball. I actually did this a few times.

Now my right hip is a bit loose in the socket and recently when I sit for a long time, when I stand up my right calf muscle is tense and painful until I stretch it out. There is something mechanically wrong.

Any ideas for hip exercises to stabilize my hip joint?

I realize I need to see a doctor too, but Id rather start with some kind of exercise and self-healing ideas first and see where that leads too.
05-10-2016 07:43 AM
RexImperator Offline
Crow
Gold Member

Have you tried the Agile 8 mobility routine by Joe DeFranco? Specifically the fire hydrants.

Edit: I see he has an updated version called the Limber 11.

Bella, horrida bella
et Thybrim multo spumantem sanguine cerno
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2016 08:12 AM by RexImperator.)
05-10-2016 08:08 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like RexImperator's post:
ball dont lie, Anabasis to Desta
ball dont lie Offline
Kingfisher
Gold Member

(05-10-2016 08:08 AM)RexImperator Wrote:  Have you tried the Agile 8 mobility routine by Joe DeFranco? Specifically the fire hydrants.

Edit: I see he has an updated version called the Limber 11.

Big thanks Rex. I had never seen that Agile 8 or now the Agile 11 set.

I always did half of those before lifting, but not the fire hydrants. I can feel it.

I started doing a set of exercising just now, I will keep it up for a few weeks and see what happens. My hip already feels much better, tighter.

1. Lay on ground on one side. Lift legs up. Switch sides.

2. Leg/Shoulder bridges. Lift up and flex butt, upper thighs and stomach.

3. Lateral flex band walk. Band around ankles, tight, do small steps left and right.

4. Isometic Glute flex. Lay on side, put belt around ankles with legs straight. Lift leg up and flex for 10 seconds.

5. Fire Hydrants.

**edit**

I should probably do something like get a ball and put it between my thighs, then press hard together. Hit the hips in the opposite direction.
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2016 08:54 AM by ball dont lie.)
05-10-2016 08:47 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes ball dont lie's post:
Anabasis to Desta
Anabasis to Desta Away
Banned

DEXA Scan came in today at 16.2 % bodyfat.

[Image: giphy.gif]
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2016 11:59 AM by Anabasis to Desta.)
05-10-2016 11:57 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Anabasis to Desta's post:
MiscBrah, Wahawahwah
MiscBrah Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

(05-10-2016 11:57 AM)Anabasis to Desta Wrote:  DEXA Scan came in today at 16.2 % bodyfat.

16.2% Holy shit!

[Image: 239Ls3y.jpg?1]
05-10-2016 12:00 PM
[-] The following 6 users Like MiscBrah's post:
Anabasis to Desta, H1N1, realologist, Huey, redbeard, Wahawahwah
Anabasis to Desta Away
Banned

^ DEXA scans measure visceral and brain fat as well apparently. So a higher bodyfat percentage was expected. Just not that high considering i still have a visible 6 pack unflexed.
05-10-2016 12:06 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Anabasis to Desta's post:
H1N1, MiscBrah, realologist
MiscBrah Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

I just got an echocardiogram done and my doctor told me she believes I have athlete's heart. Not sure how I feel about this...
05-10-2016 12:21 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes MiscBrah's post:
Fortis
Anabasis to Desta Away
Banned

(05-10-2016 12:21 PM)MiscBrah Wrote:  I just got an echocardiogram done and my doctor told me she believes I have athlete's heart. Not sure how I feel about this...

That's disgusting bro.

It means you got Athlete's foot ... on your heart.
05-10-2016 12:25 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Anabasis to Desta's post:
MiscBrah, realologist
MiscBrah Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

(05-10-2016 12:25 PM)Anabasis to Desta Wrote:  
(05-10-2016 12:21 PM)MiscBrah Wrote:  I just got an echocardiogram done and my doctor told me she believes I have athlete's heart. Not sure how I feel about this...

It means you got Athlete's foot ... on your heart.

I'm a big guy, with an even bigger heart
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2016 12:26 PM by MiscBrah.)
05-10-2016 12:26 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes MiscBrah's post:
Anabasis to Desta
realologist Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

(05-10-2016 12:06 PM)Anabasis to Desta Wrote:  ^ DEXA scans measure visceral and brain fat as well apparently. So a higher bodyfat percentage was expected. Just not that high considering i still have a visible 6 pack unflexed.

05-10-2016 06:12 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes realologist's post:
Anabasis to Desta
General Stalin Offline
Crow
Gold Member

Whats wrong with 16% BF? If your body looks good then who gives a shit. Getting to and staying at 10% BF or less would be a serious and very inconvenient lifestyle adjustment.

Also there is a Hydrostatic Weighing center in Denver, A2D, supposed to be accurate within 1% if you want a second opinion.
05-10-2016 10:55 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes General Stalin's post:
Anabasis to Desta
Fortis Away
Crow
Gold Member

Depends on how much muscle you have, too. If you are heavily muscled, 16% can look much lower because of how the muscle stands out. Whereas 10% on a super skinny guy looks sorta strange because he has no muscle definition beyond his flat 6pack.

I will be checking my PMs weekly, so you can catch me there. I will not be posting.
05-10-2016 11:08 PM
cubanlinx Offline
Woodpecker

Piggybacking on Anabasis' post, my DEXA scan came in at 26%. I have a visible six pack in any lighting and visible obliques, serratus etc.

So I gotta have a fucking fat brain.
05-10-2016 11:12 PM
H1N1 Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

Keep in mind that not everyone holds bf the same way, and there appears to be a great deal of variation in the way the abs lie on different people. For me personally, I have big abs that come in a sort of block. I do not have one of those pretty boy type mid-sections with the deep separations between the muscles. I'm 6'1, with veins on my mid section, and my waist is over 33 inches. If I flex it's a little different, but at rest my muscles pretty much just run into each other.

I think it was earlier in this thread that someone posted the video of the DEXA scans. It was telling that several of the guys who came in with BF ~15% looked far more ripped than guys who were scoring 11-13%.

This is why you shouldn't worry about BF% numbers, or indeed whether you have abs or not. Some people are given to them, some are not. It's an unhealthy obsession for many people that stops them enjoying life and maintaining a healthy balance between training and living well.
05-11-2016 03:56 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like H1N1's post:
Saweeep, Anabasis to Desta, Fortis
realologist Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

I was just negging Anabasis because I want to get the Boricuaking treatment. tard

But really that's a good amount. How much fat do DEXA scans add to your total body fat percentage?
05-11-2016 05:39 AM
Saweeep Offline
Banned

BF% obsession is just a slightly less feminine way to worry about your physique than hopping on the bathroom scales every day.

As my old man always says "The mirror is all that counts".
05-11-2016 05:53 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Saweeep's post:
H1N1, Anabasis to Desta
Dominance Offline
Robin

Did my first HIT leg only workout today (since I was doing fullbody before) and damn, I feel like I could have done better with some of the exercises but after the leg extension atleast my legs were full on involuntarily shaking when I stood up.

It's not until HIT that I really feel like i've been working my legs properly compared to before as my knees have tended to play up in the past. It seems to work the actul muscles much better and fatigue them while avoiding the pain i've had in knees or back in the past. And it seems that since doing it other niggling pains such as in my shoulder blades have improved which wasn't something I expected.

The verdict is still out as for the effectiveness in building muscle. After the 4 weeks of the full body program people commented I looked bigger, but this split program workouts seem so quick that being used to 1 1/2 hour workouts it feels way too short. But i'm going to stick to it long enough to see how it does work for me as some people swear on it.
05-11-2016 06:33 AM
Kid Twist Offline
Hummingbird

It's very simple, if you get stronger, you will get bigger. You have to lift progressively heavier weights. Are there other types of fitness? Of course. Speed, endurance, etc.

But for most novices, getting stronger will make them look better and fitter.
05-11-2016 03:18 PM
Dominance Offline
Robin

Quote:It's very simple, if you get stronger, you will get bigger. You have to lift progressively heavier weights. Are there other types of fitness? Of course. Speed, endurance, etc.

But for most novices, getting stronger will make them look better and fitter.

Not sure if that was related to my post. But I can say doing HIT is making me feel weak because to do it slow with zero momentum i've had to drop the weights a ton. But the benefit is when I build back up I know it's more real and not using momentum as much. Everyone else seems to be lifting so fast to me now though.

One fear I have though is HIT may slow me down and make it harder to move. I don't do it regularly now but occasionally I work as a bouncer and sometimes you just have to go physical so I hope it doesn't slow me down too much.
05-11-2016 08:09 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Entrepreneur / Business Owner's / Self Employed Lounge Off The Reservation 1,347 453,154 10-07-2019 10:31 PM
Last Post: SlickyBoy
Rainbow The Ultimate Psychonaut Lounge - For Those Who Are Serious Tex 87 9,151 10-01-2019 05:24 PM
Last Post: Roosh
  [Business]  Leadership Lounge Checkmat 8 1,112 09-07-2019 05:08 AM
Last Post: H1N1