Tickets On Sale For Last 5 Cities Of Roosh's Tour! Early bird pricing ends soon for Miami, Orlando, Atlanta, Nashville, and Charlotte. Click here for details.

Lifter's Lounge
BagelConsultant Offline
Beta Orbiter

RE: Lifter's Lounge
Just poking my head in here to say I hit a new 2 rep max on deadlift today - 405lbs. My working sets were 290x2, 335x2, 390x2 and 405x2.
02-24-2015 04:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes BagelConsultant's post:
WanderingSoul
alexdagr81 Offline
Chubby Chaser

Hit 290x3 on the squat. Not a max, but I am happy since I strained my groin and hamstring (different legs too)
02-24-2015 07:03 PM
StrikeBack Offline
True Player
Gold Member

(02-24-2015 11:12 AM)Hades Wrote:  
(02-19-2015 10:28 PM)StrikeBack Wrote:  Leg press doesn't add much strength but can add a lot of useless mass, as H1N1 says. I don't want to gain useless mass that slows me down. However, if you have very skinny legs, knock yourself out.

If you read up on what elite level lifters are doing (chinese oly lifters, captain kirk, etc.) in terms of lower body work, you'd be hard pressed to find anybody who doesn't do leg curls, extensions, and leg press as assistance work. Most of them tend to get a substantial amount of lifting volume in by bodybuilding.

Well I said they don't add much strength, but they still do, and if you're a professional going for records and medals, you need any tiny advantage you can get.

Those guys also train 8 hours a day, nearly every day of the week. They have enough time to get those in, and they probably do need them to balance out the high volume high frequency training they do on the main competition lifts. For most of us who lift as a hobby (I probably total 8 hours a week on lifting), they're a poor time investment, and we're better off just squatting more often.

I also play other sports outside of powerlifting, so unlike the professional lifters, I do not want more leg mass. I can't kick or move faster with more leg mass.

Of course if you want more leg mass, go for it. I personally do more arms stuff because I want bigger arms, while I already have more than enough leg mass for a 74kg / 163lb class lifter.

StrikeBack's Wife School
02-25-2015 01:16 AM
The Reactionary Tree Offline
Alpha Male
Gold Member

I think I am going to add sprints to my 5x5 to help facilitate weight loss. Currently I am doing a 5x5 four times a week plus hypertrophic accessory work. These workouts last WAY TOO long though (well over 90 minutes). I am thinking of sticking with the 5x5 because I have made progress on it but I would like to speed up the fat loss. To keep some form of hypertrophy workout, I will have a couple drop sets for each 5x5 workout. Here is my 5x5 (excluding warming up to working sets which I do a lot of)

Day1: squats 5x5, OHP 3x3 (or 5x5)
Day2: deadlifts 10 singles, bench press 5x5
Day3: squats 5x5, OHP 3x3 (or 5x5)
Day4: pendlay rows 5x5, close grip bench 5x5

I have lost some weight since starting my 5x5 in July 2014. I was about 200 lbs when I started. Since doing the program, my weight has gone down some (191 this morning) but I have received numerous compliments from people asking if I have lost weight. I havent lost much but I have thrown on muscle and there is a nice recomposition taking place (less fat, more muscle).

I am 29yo, 5'9", 191lbs (as of this morning). I do not have a body fat percentage for you. A lower body fat percentage is obviously my goal. I would say about 20 pounds of fat loss would do it.

My diet is very paleo-like and very clean. This is not really the problem except my caloric intake may be too high as I am not tracking calories. So I have the discipline of sticking to a good diet but my calories may be too high. I have not gained weight though. I have always maintained weight or lost weight so I am not doing too badly on the calorie front.

Does anyone have experience with sprints? I was thinking 10 sprints following each workout (each sprint being about 4 basketball court lengths). That would be 40 sprints each week.

Do you guys warm up for your sprints? What is your sprint regimen like? Do you have any success stories from adding sprints to your workout regimen and the benefits they have provided?
02-25-2015 12:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Frontenac Offline
Wingman

I'm enjoying this thread a lot.

Added a 5x5 bench press routine to my workout today. First four sets were 225 lbs, and the final set was 245 lbs. I laced in 5 sets of weighted sit ups with a 25 lbs plate on my chest to go along with it.

I used to lift a lot when I was younger, but but I'm just getting back into seriously now. I forgot how much I love doing it.

'Logic Over Emotion Since 2013'
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2015 04:33 PM by Frontenac.)
02-25-2015 04:32 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Frontenac's post:
The Reactionary Tree, WanderingSoul
Alpha Male
Gold Member

I just came back from my first workout where I incorporated sprints. Fuck. Those kicked my ass. My first time doing sprints in I cant even remember. After about 6 of them I wanted to quit but then I saw some smokin hot chick in tight black pants walk by and I said to myself, "that is why I am pushing myself. Im going to get that."

I did 5x5 squats plus 2 dropsets and 3x3 OHP plus 2 dropsets, then 10 sprints with 30 seconds rest in between.
02-25-2015 05:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Hannibal Offline
True Player
Gold Member

If you have access to a hill, I highly recommend hill sprints.

They carry over well to regular sprints and they are both harder and safer to do than regular sprints (because you're not at top speed going up the hill). Too much heel striking with regular sprints leads to hamstring pulls.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.
02-25-2015 07:40 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Hannibal's post:
Bushido, The Reactionary Tree, Giovonny
Alpha Male
Gold Member

Once spring time rolls around, I may consider utilizing hills for sprints.
02-25-2015 08:07 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Reactionary Tree's post:
Giovonny
Stun Offline
Wingman
Gold Member

Two weeks after adding a humidifier to my bedroom, my muscles are noticeably bigger and harder, even though I haven't lifted more weight. And my workouts are easier. My theory is the air in my room is really dry and the humidifier is helping me to get better quality sleep. My mind is clearer also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdhFJ5uArUc
02-26-2015 12:51 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like Stun's post:
Giovonny, Atlantic, MiscBrah
Alpha Male
Gold Member

These sprints are kicking my ass. also, heavy deadlifts make me fart.

If you are ever bloated, do some really heavy deadlifts. you will force all the gas out of you.
02-26-2015 08:11 PM
Chaos Offline
True Player
Gold Member

Returned to heavy lifting again after a few weeks of travel and sickness.

On wednesday I trained legs hard as I used to do.
Felt good at the moment but that resulted now in extreme soreness.
Classic mistake not understanding to go easy after a little break.

Impossible to do my kickboxing training.
Walking down in stairs or even sitting down to take a shit feels like my legs are on fire.

Are there any good way to reduce this kind of soreness?
02-26-2015 10:19 PM
alexdagr81 Offline
Chubby Chaser

(02-26-2015 10:19 PM)Chaos Wrote:  Returned to heavy lifting again after a few weeks of travel and sickness.

Walking down in stairs or even sitting down to take a shit feels like my legs are on fire.

ice and cold water
02-26-2015 10:37 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like alexdagr81's post:
Frontenac, Giovonny
Saweeep Offline
Banned

Are you warming up, cooling down and stretching after your leg workouts?
02-27-2015 05:27 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Saweeep's post:
Giovonny
Chaos Offline
True Player
Gold Member

^ No. This time that might have been a mistake.
I use to train my legs quite frequently so this kind of soreness never really happened before now.( except the first time I did a heavy leg workout)
Burn and exhaustion yes, but nothing painful.

Lesson learned.
It's annoying because this soreness prevents me from doing other leg related movements and exercises.

Maybe a short jogging round or some swimming could soften up my legs.
02-27-2015 10:15 AM
RexImperator Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

Paradoxically you can reduce that kind of soreness by working them out again - just go light and get some blood flow going to the area. You could just do your squat warmup sets and I bet you would feel better afterwards.

Bella, horrida bella
et Thybrim multo spumantem sanguine cerno
02-27-2015 10:46 AM
[-] The following 4 users Like RexImperator's post:
Chaos, The Reactionary Tree, WanderingSoul, Giovonny
StrikeBack Offline
True Player
Gold Member

Even just bodyweight squats at home will help.

StrikeBack's Wife School
03-01-2015 02:05 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like StrikeBack's post:
Giovonny, Chaos
Stun Offline
Wingman
Gold Member

^ or could it be not getting enough protein? That could result in soreness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdhFJ5uArUc
03-01-2015 11:00 PM
godfather dust Away
True Player
Gold Member

Went to the gym at my apartment complex a few hours ago. I think I'll max the gym out in a few months (not a whole lot of weight.) Good workout though.
03-02-2015 01:21 AM
Patriarch Offline
Wingman
Gold Member

If you're plateauing or running out of steam during a workout, and you're definitely getting plenty of sleep, is the only other explanation that you aren't eating enough? I'm starting to get to the point in my current cycle where I usually plateau, and I want to avoid it.

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.
03-02-2015 11:40 AM
H1N1 Offline
True Player
Gold Member

(03-02-2015 11:40 AM)Sweet Pea Wrote:  If you're plateauing or running out of steam during a workout, and you're definitely getting plenty of sleep, is the only other explanation that you aren't eating enough? I'm starting to get to the point in my current cycle where I usually plateau, and I want to avoid it.

It's the most probable explanation, but not the only one. Other possible explanations are:

1. Life stress - if you're distracted, or things haven't been going well in some aspects of your life, you can often be performing sub-optimally without realising it.

2. Insufficient conditioning base - Purely anecdotal, but I've seen several guys who've stalled kickstart their progress by adding some basic conditioning and improving their aerobic base.

3. Insufficient muscular size to support the lifts you're trying to progress on - sometimes you just need to get bigger. A bigger muscle has more potential to be a stronger muscle. Some people are genetically gifted, and will be able to move big weights even if they are skinny. For the average person, it's sometimes necessary to get bigger in order to get stronger.

4. Insufficient training stimulus - You just might not be training hard enough to elicit the response you desire from your body. I've been guilty of this in the past. If you are just going through the motions, and aren't concentrating on moving the bar aggressively an explosively, although you may have been following a periodized training model, you may actually have just built up to a strength ceiling, rather than forcing neurological adaption.
03-02-2015 12:02 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like H1N1's post:
Giovonny, The Reactionary Tree
StrikeBack Offline
True Player
Gold Member

The other very likely reason is that you've come to an end of a training cycle (without knowing) and need to start a new one.

Read up on periodisation.

There's a reason strength athletes have training blocks, phases and cycles.

StrikeBack's Wife School
03-03-2015 06:32 AM
Saweeep Offline
Banned

My body is falling apart; getting older is frustrating.

Managed to hurt both my shoulders last week; rear rotator on monday doing BOR (although I think it was actually from playing rugby on the previous Saturday), thought it was ok by Friday then fucked one of my front rotators (on the opposite side) doing a warm up set DB press.

Just goes to show that injuries happen, and sometimes you just can't do anything about them.

GRRRRR.
03-03-2015 07:25 AM
Kieran Offline
Alpha Male
Gold Member

Tell me about it! I'm 31 now and seem to get injured really easily compared to when I was younger. The worst thing is that I don't even feel them happen until the pain turns up later.

My memory has also declined loads. Aging is horrible, but at least I still look young.
03-03-2015 02:54 PM
Espresso Offline
Chubby Chaser

(02-26-2015 10:19 PM)Chaos Wrote:  Returned to heavy lifting again after a few weeks of travel and sickness.

Do 3 mins on the stationary bike after you're done, no resistance at pretty high revolutions (100/min).
03-03-2015 06:16 PM
Hades Offline
Banned

I did like forty handstand pushups while watching south park tonight. Not bad for a guy who's still basically a fatty.
03-04-2015 06:44 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Hades's post:
Giovonny, Espresso

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  "Grow Like a New Lifter Again?" Nascimento 9 5,269 05-18-2018 09:36 AM
Last Post: ScrapperTL
  Slow Carb diet a decent beginning for a lifter? stugatz 13 5,571 01-12-2017 04:48 AM
Last Post: Razor Beast