I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Lifter's Lounge
Thatdude Offline
Recovering Beta

RE: Lifter's Lounge
Thanks for advice everybody. Much appreciated. Think I'm going to bring the weight down a bit and concentrate on volume, and build back up like Kosko said.
03-12-2015 06:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
H1N1 Offline
True Player
Gold Member

(03-11-2015 12:27 PM)CrashBangWallop Wrote:  
(03-11-2015 08:36 AM)H1N1 Wrote:  
(03-11-2015 07:04 AM)CrashBangWallop Wrote:  The strongest I've ever been for seated OHP was 170kgs (1.5 x bw) a few years ago when I had a top quality strength coach 3 days per week (and was young hah).

There's just no way on earth I could get back to that without having an experienced knowledgable spotter there to help me through the plateaus.

After my reports last week of damaging both side's rotator cuffs on two separate days doing two unrelated exercises, I've strained my aductor today. FFS.

I haven't had an injury in over a year and then get three in a month.

374lb OHP? That is crazy strong. Did you compete professionally? That would translate to well over 400lbs bench. That's some seriously impressive strength.

My dad was a bodybuilder, world class gym owner and powerlifter and I seem to have been blessed with good strength genetics. I also happen to have a massive bone structure and the correct bodytype.

Dad was desperate for me to train as a strongman although I'm glad I didn't as I think at 6'4" I'm too short to have actually made it in this day and age.

My youth and early twenties were spent oscillating between rugby, weightlifting and kickboxing fighting; I never trained each one seriously enough to be a professional though (who knows whether I could have done)...I lacked discipline and preferred drugs, alcohol and women sadly.

Youth is wasted on the young.

That's awesome. It always blows my mind to find people who can press similar sorts of weights to what I squat. Puts so much in perspective. What do you weigh in at, if you don't mind me asking?
03-12-2015 07:24 AM
Saweeep Offline
Banned

(03-12-2015 07:24 AM)H1N1 Wrote:  
(03-11-2015 07:04 AM)CrashBangWallop Wrote:  The strongest I've ever been for seated OHP was 170kgs (1.5 x bw) a few years ago when I had a top quality strength coach 3 days per week (and was young hah).

There's just no way on earth I could get back to that without having an experienced knowledgable spotter there to help me through the plateaus.

After my reports last week of damaging both side's rotator cuffs on two separate days doing two unrelated exercises, I've strained my aductor today. FFS.

374lb OHP? That is crazy strong. Did you compete professionally? That would translate to well over 400lbs bench. That's some seriously impressive strength.

My dad was a bodybuilder, world class gym owner and powerlifter and I seem to have been blessed with good strength genetics. I also happen to have a massive bone structure and the correct bodytype.

Dad was desperate for me to train as a strongman although I'm glad I didn't as I think at 6'4" I'm too short to have actually made it in this day and age.

My youth and early twenties were spent oscillating between rugby, weightlifting and kickboxing fighting; I never trained each one seriously enough to be a professional though (who knows whether I could have done)...I lacked discipline and preferred drugs, alcohol and women sadly.

That's awesome. It always blows my mind to find people who can press similar sorts of weights to what I squat. Puts so much in perspective. What do you weigh in at, if you don't mind me asking?

This was a number of years ago. My body can't handle the kind of punishment I used to give it now I'm in my 30s. Everything is catching up on me; as I've been saying recently I've been picking up a few minor niggles that can only be age related.

I rarely go above bodyweight on seated press these days; often a pair of 40kg dumbbells for 3x 10 reps is all I'll do for presses. I'm conscious of not getting fat again after putting on way too much body fat last time I got obsessed with being the strongest guy in the gym (stupid). Took me ages to fix that!

Back in the day I wasn't much heavier, maybe 120kg ish. 170 sounds incredible till you think about it in terms of bodyweight. 1.5x isn't unachievable for anyone I don't believe.

Ultimately a lot of it comes down to genetics, no matter what anyone says to the contrary. I could never be a bodybuilder due to my genetics in the same way that others with perfect proportions and symmetry may be unable to ever get really, really strong (in an absolute sense). I'd struggle to run a marathon too, even if I trained for the rest of my life I think.

I don't know how much of this is already going on but it wouldn't surprise me if in a few years training plans are designed, and athletes selected at a very young age after genetic tests for various known markers.
03-12-2015 08:47 AM
Bushido Offline
True Player
Gold Member

(03-12-2015 08:47 AM)CrashBangWallop Wrote:  Back in the day I wasn't much heavier, maybe 120kg ish. 170 sounds incredible till you think about it in terms of bodyweight. 1.5x isn't unachievable for anyone I don't believe.

I personally have never seen anyone hit even 1.0x bodyweight in my gym, although it's an ambition of mine. 1.5x is beyond impressive!

PM me for accommodation options in Bangkok.
03-12-2015 08:59 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bushido's post:
Chaos
H1N1 Offline
True Player
Gold Member

(03-12-2015 08:47 AM)CrashBangWallop Wrote:  
(03-12-2015 07:24 AM)H1N1 Wrote:  

This was a number of years ago. My body can't handle the kind of punishment I used to give it now I'm in my 30s. Everything is catching up on me; as I've been saying recently I've been picking up a few minor niggles that can only be age related.

I rarely go above bodyweight on seated press these days; often a pair of 40kg dumbbells for 3x 10 reps is all I'll do for presses. I'm conscious of not getting fat again after putting on way too much body fat last time I got obsessed with being the strongest guy in the gym (stupid). Took me ages to fix that!

Back in the day I wasn't much heavier, maybe 120kg ish. 170 sounds incredible till you think about it in terms of bodyweight. 1.5x isn't unachievable for anyone I don't believe.

Ultimately a lot of it comes down to genetics, no matter what anyone says to the contrary. I could never be a bodybuilder due to my genetics in the same way that others with perfect proportions and symmetry may be unable to ever get really, really strong (in an absolute sense). I'd struggle to run a marathon too, even if I trained for the rest of my life I think.

I don't know how much of this is already going on but it wouldn't surprise me if in a few years training plans are designed, and athletes selected at a very young age after genetic tests for various known markers.

I couldn't agree more re:genetics. I have an uncanny ability to lift odd objects that are disproportionately heavy relative to what you might expect if compared to my barbell lifts. I am also able to march fast under load naturally in a way that many people who are fitter/physically stronger cannot. By contrast, I have to work very hard to make any kind of progress with barbells (guys like you probably totaled higher on your first day in the gym than I will in my lifetime), I am naturally a fairly shitty endurance runner, and am not much of a sprinter either.
03-12-2015 09:03 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like H1N1's post:
Saweeep, Giovonny
Saweeep Offline
Banned

(03-12-2015 08:59 AM)dreambig Wrote:  
(03-12-2015 08:47 AM)CrashBangWallop Wrote:  Back in the day I wasn't much heavier, maybe 120kg ish. 170 sounds incredible till you think about it in terms of bodyweight. 1.5x isn't unachievable for anyone I don't believe.

I personally have never seen anyone hit even 1.0x bodyweight in my gym, although it's an ambition of mine. 1.5x is beyond impressive!

I grew up surrounded by meatheads in a gym with a massive crater in the concrete floor from dropped deadlifts...perhaps my perspective has always been skewed Smile

Thing is, I guess, out of a population of gym goers, how many are really training properly to start with? Not many. Then remove those with non strength training goals. Then the genetically incapable. Then the ones who don't even realise the potential of their bodies. Etc etc.

There aren't many left.

A friend of mine trained with me for 2 months. He'd never lifted before but we got his bench to 1.5bw and seated press to BW in that time. He's also got the right genetics but it can be done.

When you've stopped disappearing off around the world all the time you should come train with me for a bit...get strong or die trying Big Grin
03-12-2015 09:15 AM
[-] The following 6 users Like Saweeep's post:
H1N1, Bushido, Giovonny, Benoit, Hades, Beyond Borders
Beyond Borders Away
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

Some girl made a steroid "joke" on my Facebook pic.

Maybe it was just a harmless joke, but you're sometimes left wondering if people are just hiding behind their jokes.

I'm not even very big. I haven't been trying to get big - I do mostly bodyweight exercises.

Hell, I don't even take vitamins or drink protein.

People are funny.

Makes me really want to focus on getting hewg now and really raise some eyebrows. Big Grin

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2015 03:36 AM by Beyond Borders.)
03-14-2015 03:02 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Beyond Borders's post:
Thatdude, redbeard
Ingocnito Offline
Alpha Male

Just performed the same dumb exercise that I pulled a trap, doing last year around the same time of year. I'll wrist strap on a smith machine and load it down pretty heavy for traps. I've found no other exercise that comes close to the size I get from doing this.

There's a lot of key things you have to think about when doing that to avoid injury. Angle of pull, foot placement, hand placement, even pull resistance (right at moment of unracking...very imporant!).

Last year I pulled my left trap.. took about 5 days to heal, stiff for another 3. This time same shit on the right side.

Once I unracked the weight without even resistance on the unracking pull, I knew I pulled the muscle. Here's to a stiff neck for a week . cheers.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2015 07:52 PM by Ingocnito.)
03-14-2015 07:35 PM
AhabTravel Offline
Male Feminist
Gold Member

(03-11-2015 07:37 AM)kosko Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 08:08 PM)Thatdude Wrote:  Think I'm stalling on overhead shoulder press. Not having success adding weights each workout.

Bring the weight back down and focus in on higher volume. I scaled back to as low as 95lbs and just stood in the rack doing sets of 5 until I couldn't do it anymore. I did between 18-23 sets and would do that twice a week. Then after a few weeks build back up and your old plateau will be gone.

Just making sure I read this correct: 5 sets of 18-23 reps?

I've been experimenting with 3 sets of 25-30 reps (just four weeks), just to experiment with high volume, though I'm not sure if 90 total reps is still in that range. I've rarely done true high volume workouts, so it's a change and I've been sore in ways I haven't experienced. In addition, after ending a set, I feel almost sick, but I've observed a lot more definition and increased stamina so I'm going to stick it out and see what happens.
03-14-2015 08:17 PM
redbeard Offline
True Player
Gold Member

HEB makes salmon jerky. It is not too fishy, loaded with protein, and delicious.

1 Year NoFap Veteran --- No Days Off in Trump's America
03-14-2015 08:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes redbeard's post:
Giovonny
redbeard Offline
True Player
Gold Member

Everyone should read BB's piece on fitness.

http://notesfrombeyond.com/self-developm...after-pics

Lots of knowledge dropped in there, and A+ evidence that losing weight changes your facial structure.

03-14-2015 09:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 5 users Like redbeard's post:
Giovonny, rdvirus, Beyond Borders, Bushido, H1N1
Chaos Offline
True Player
Gold Member

^indeed.

Again, cutting off the boozing alone is one of the best ways of getting in shape.
Exercising or not.
03-15-2015 02:34 AM
[-] The following 5 users Like Chaos's post:
rdvirus, Beyond Borders, Giovonny, Bushido, General Mayhem
tattiemasher Offline
Recovering Beta

For the first time in a couple of years I've picked up some sort of wrist strain. The last time I waited it out and it took a few weeks to fully heal, but if anyone has any suggestions for helping things along I'm all ears.

On top of that, are there any recommendations for improving grip strength and wrist strength in particular? I've plateaued recently due to the wrist issue on most exercises except pull-ups and squats. I've no doubt the wrist issue and pushing myself quickly are related, so I'm looking to avoid these problems/mistakes in future.
03-17-2015 12:27 PM
KC4 Offline
Wingman

Which one of you is this [Image: 1426389391844.gif]
03-17-2015 12:54 PM
[-] The following 5 users Like KC4's post:
H1N1, Bushido, Avon Barksdale, Saweeep, Beyond Borders
H1N1 Offline
True Player
Gold Member

(03-17-2015 12:27 PM)tattiemasher Wrote:  For the first time in a couple of years I've picked up some sort of wrist strain. The last time I waited it out and it took a few weeks to fully heal, but if anyone has any suggestions for helping things along I'm all ears.

On top of that, are there any recommendations for improving grip strength and wrist strength in particular? I've plateaued recently due to the wrist issue on most exercises except pull-ups and squats. I've no doubt the wrist issue and pushing myself quickly are related, so I'm looking to avoid these problems/mistakes in future.

I used to have wrist problems all the time, to the point where I couldn't do a pushup, and to attempt to do so would have made the hand unusable for weeks. I switched to doing all pressing movements with a fat bar, all dumbbell movements with a fat handle, and wrist roller every night. I've not had a flair up in 6 months, that represents extreme, and extraordinary progress for me, and a degree of normality in that hand that I never thought I'd have again.
03-17-2015 12:59 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes H1N1's post:
tattiemasher
tattiemasher Offline
Recovering Beta

(03-17-2015 12:59 PM)H1N1 Wrote:  [quote='tattiemasher' pid='981555' dateline='1426613235']

I used to have wrist problems all the time, to the point where I couldn't do a pushup, and to attempt to do so would have made the hand unusable for weeks. I switched to doing all pressing movements with a fat bar, all dumbbell movements with a fat handle, and wrist roller every night. I've not had a flair up in 6 months, that represents extreme, and extraordinary progress for me, and a degree of normality in that hand that I never thought I'd have again.

Thanks for the quick reply. My gym is fairly bare-bones here and doesn't have much of any non-essential equipment, but I'll find a roller (or a suitable replacement) and give it a try.
03-17-2015 01:17 PM
Hades Offline
Banned

Tight muscles in the forearm can cause all kinds of wrist pain. I came up with a few active flexibility drills for the forearms and resolved my wrist pain within a few workouts.
03-17-2015 01:27 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hades's post:
tattiemasher
H1N1 Offline
True Player
Gold Member

(03-17-2015 01:17 PM)tattiemasher Wrote:  
(03-17-2015 12:59 PM)H1N1 Wrote:  [quote='tattiemasher' pid='981555' dateline='1426613235']

Thanks for the quick reply. My gym is fairly bare-bones here and doesn't have much of any non-essential equipment, but I'll find a roller (or a suitable replacement) and give it a try.

You could take some pipe insulation and electrical tape and make your own fat bar, or at least that's how I've made mine.
03-17-2015 02:11 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes H1N1's post:
tattiemasher
Cr33pin Offline
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

(03-14-2015 07:35 PM)Ingocnito Wrote:  Just performed the same dumb exercise that I pulled a trap, doing last year around the same time of year. I'll wrist strap on a smith machine and load it down pretty heavy for traps. I've found no other exercise that comes close to the size I get from doing this.

There's a lot of key things you have to think about when doing that to avoid injury. Angle of pull, foot placement, hand placement, even pull resistance (right at moment of unracking...very imporant!).

Last year I pulled my left trap.. took about 5 days to heal, stiff for another 3. This time same shit on the right side.

Once I unracked the weight without even resistance on the unracking pull, I knew I pulled the muscle. Here's to a stiff neck for a week . cheers.

I have been doing this for traps ever since I joined a gym. I feel like I can use more weight on the smith machine. Lately I also started doing seated shrugs with heavy dumbells, my grip usually gives out before my traps... I do some shrugs with the calf raise machine to but I think it kind of sucks.

Traps are strong no? I can shrug heavy weight easier then I can push it around with other muscles really.

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
03-17-2015 05:03 PM
redbeard Offline
True Player
Gold Member

I have amazing traps and haven't shrugged in years.

Maybe this is just anecdotal experience, but I get a great trap pump from deadlifts AND FARMERS WALKS! I love that shit. It's probably my favorite excercise. A nice long walk around the gym with some Dumbbells in hand will give anybody a great trap pump.

03-17-2015 07:08 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like redbeard's post:
Cr33pin, Bushido, rdvirus
rdvirus Offline
Chubby Chaser

Enjoy farmers walks as well. I do them with dumbbells sometimes, but typically with just a plate in both hands.

[Image: rubber-olympic-plates-with-grip-1260-lb-...50x450.jpg]

These are the plates at my gym.. bit easier to keep a hold on. Only 45lbs, nothing serious, but walking til' failure seems to do the trick. I've done shrugs maybe 5 times in my life and have great trap and shoulder development. Farmers walks are also great in that they force proper posture. You won't get very far with your shoulders hunched forward.. You've gotta have everything neutral.

The mental aspect is another awesome part. When you've walked a few lengths and the burn starts to come on, it feels awesome to push through it. Right when I feel I NEED to let go, I force myself to finish the length.

Farmers are usually a finisher to my workout. I've never seen anyone else do farmers walks in person.. They are an underrated exercise for sure.

Conceived to beat all odds like Las Vegas
03-17-2015 10:15 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like rdvirus's post:
redbeard, The Reactionary Tree
The Reactionary Tree Offline
Alpha Male
Gold Member

Agreed on farmers walks. If you go heavy on those you will get a full body workout.
03-18-2015 01:30 AM
Cr33pin Offline
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

So I did the farmers walks today for the first time ever. Used the heaviest dumbells they had 38 kilos (I dont know that that is in pounds) I made the full trip around the gym. Did it a second time and struggled but made the full trip. Did a few more upper back sets then wanted to finish with a set of farmers walks, went lighter this time at 34 kilos I think and I almost lost my grip before I made it back to the dumbell rack... It was like one of those movies when someone is hanging off a cliff and there grip is slowly fading one finger at a time. The guy beside the dumbell rack ended up asking me if I needed help and I said "Sure why not" and he grabbed the dumbell out of my left hand. I think I would have been ok but better safe then sorry.

After that I used the little wooden handle with a long string and a 5lb weight on it that you roll up for forearms. Before I sued it I was like man I m going to have to tie more weight on here.
Faaaak, that shit is killer, my arms still hurt. To be honest I have never done any isolation forearm work in my life.

How often should one work forearms? The combo of farmers walks and those handle things made me their bitch today... but I <3 it

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
03-18-2015 02:46 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Cr33pin's post:
tattiemasher, samsamsam
KC4 Offline
Wingman

Soo i fell backwards during squats today..... My left leg was like fuck you I am tired. gonna take it easy on my legs for a while instead of pushing too 205 pounds
03-18-2015 03:12 PM
birdie num num Offline
Recovering Beta

(03-17-2015 10:15 PM)rdvirus Wrote:  I've never seen anyone else do farmers walks in person.. They are an underrated exercise for sure.

I also do farmers walks at my gym. I never see anyone else do them and people give me strange looks when doing them. They're a bitch, for sure. They're one of the best functional exercises, and they are a mind game when you are pushing through the pain to reach the finish line.

“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”

- George Carlin
03-18-2015 03:35 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes birdie num num's post:
Bushido

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  "Grow Like a New Lifter Again?" Nascimento 9 5,259 05-18-2018 09:36 AM
Last Post: ScrapperTL
  Slow Carb diet a decent beginning for a lifter? stugatz 13 5,559 01-12-2017 04:48 AM
Last Post: Razor Beast