Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Lying on FASFA
Jason Zee Offline
Banned

Lying on FASFA
I was thinking about filing a dependency override pretty much saying that I had a horrible family life and I no longer live at home(which I don’t). I would hate to have to take out student loans in this economy. I was thinking about using a couple of buddies as references. Do any of you know anyone that has lied on their fasfa application to get their tuition paid for?

Whats the likelihood of me being caught lying?
10-03-2011 10:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Parlay44 Offline
Peacock
Gold Member

RE: Lying on FASFA
(10-03-2011 10:18 PM)Jason Zee Wrote:  I was thinking about filing a dependency override pretty much saying that I had a horrible family life and I no longer live at home(which I don’t). I would hate to have to take out student loans in this economy. I was thinking about using a couple of buddies as references. Do any of you know anyone that has lied on their fasfa application to get their tuition paid for?

Whats the likelihood of me being caught lying?

You're considered an adult if you're 23 1/2 and up. You can get loans and grants without your parents.

They check your income from 3 years back. If you made very little like minimum wage salary you'll be eligible for tons of grants.

I got most of my tuition money from grants. The school will help you apply for them. The rest goes on student loans.

After graduation you can defer your loans every 6 months if you're not making any money.

If you're still dirt poor and struggling you can file for a forbearance which is a request to not have to pay your loans back.

Team Nachos
10-04-2011 12:08 AM
Gmac Offline
Peacock
Gold Member

I got a ton of money from grants ($2000 a year or so) my last 2 years in college because I was supporting myself and not receiving any money from my dad, who makes a lot of money and would otherwise make me ineligible. You can "stretch the truth" a bit (they ask about gifts) with things like Christmas and birthdays. I wish I'd known how it worked sooner, would have knocked another $4k off my debt.

Vice-Captain - #TeamWaitAndSee
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2011 10:03 AM by Gmac.)
10-04-2011 10:02 AM
Jason Zee Offline
Banned

(10-04-2011 10:02 AM)Gmac Wrote:  I got a ton of money from grants ($2000 a year or so) my last 2 years in college because I was supporting myself and not receiving any money from my dad, who makes a lot of money and would otherwise make me ineligible. You can "stretch the truth" a bit (they ask about gifts) with things like Christmas and birthdays. I wish I'd known how it worked sooner, would have knocked another $4k off my debt.

Do you think that if I stretch the truth this shit will come back to me? I already have my references of people that know about my “horrible” family situation. But I am not so sure. These days these people have all sorts of ways to figure shit out.
10-04-2011 03:03 PM
Parlay44 Offline
Peacock
Gold Member

How old are you?

Team Nachos
10-04-2011 04:47 PM
thegmanifesto Offline
Peacock
Gold Member

"Whats the likelihood of me being caught lying?"

Pretty high if they google you and your name really is "Jason Zee"

- MPM
The Guide to Getting More out of Life
http://www.thegmanifesto.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/michaelporfirio

Michael Mason's Facebook

The G Manifesto Facebook Page

Grew up with gorillas, you grew up on Twitter, don’t care if you follow me.

"Can't be like the rest", is the most I'll confess.
10-04-2011 05:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Jittery/Restless Feeling when Lying Down Mr.GoodThread 9 7,639 03-07-2016 10:39 PM
Last Post: Mr.GoodThread