Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(01-27-2013 03:13 PM)Jay_Bird Wrote:  Scotian mentioned you cannot start an apprenticeship unless you are a perminent resident. I'm from Ontario if I go out there and end up finding a job as say a pipefitters helper, would I have to apply for the pipefitters union in ontario and have it arranged through the company I work for out west?

Just move out west and do everything out there, especially registering with the Alberta apprenticeship board, don't register as an apprentice in Ontario as the provinces don't always recognize hours works in other districts, which is stupid but that's the way it is. Also don't register in an Ontario union if you plan on working in Alberta, if you become a pipefitter, register with local 488 so you will be a local as opposed to a travel card, they get hired last and laid off first.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
02-03-2013 12:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

(02-01-2013 05:37 AM)Scoop Wrote:  This is the most remarkable thread I have ever come across. It took me ages to read it all and then a week before I could post a reply. My thanks to everyone who has contributed and especially Scotian who started it and who has filled it with positive energy.

I’m hoping that a couple of you may be able to give me some advice.

I’m English and I’m 50 years old. A long time ago I did a BSc and a Masters degree in Civil Engineering. I worked in construction for 4 years and then I started my own business in wholesale, nothing to do with engineering. For many years I did very well but one bad investment left me on the ropes.

As the recession hit I started a business cleaning wheelie bins (trash cans) in my town in England, which I reckon is a bit like Scotian’s “100 miles East of Buttfuck Nowhere”. I did OK and with my wife’s salary we got along.

Sadly my wife became ill recently (cancer) and she has had to stop work. She’s ok and treatment has gone really well, but she just can’t work. This has left me with a broken heart and a financial problem, and with two kids (17 and 12) things are getting tight.

I thought about the oil sands a while ago. My sister emigrated to Canada twenty years ago and now lives in Calgary. I’ve got free accommodation there for as long as I want, a luxury most aren’t fortunate enough to have. I’m old but I’m keen. I’m 6’5” and I can work long hours in bad weather. I don’t care what I do. I’m perfectly happy for someone to say “There’s your shovel and there’s your shit” as long as I get paid. I speak and write fluent French, having worked in France for 13 years (although I never met a Canadian who actually spoke French outside Quebec. It’s just on the banknotes and the tins of sweetcorn, so not much use in AB).

The problem is that in order to get a job I need a Temporary Work Permit. And in order to get a Temporary Work Permit I need a job. And as Scotian and others have pointed out, the best way to get a job at my level is to turn up in person.

So I’m ready to roll. Thanks to the guidance on this thread I can do all the things Irishman and others so brilliantly did and get my driving licence and certificates, and a $500 truck (I’m already dreaming about my $500 truck) and hustle with my CV. But if I get a job then I have to come back to England and wait about 90 days for my work permit. Will any employer keep a job open for that long for a shit-shoveller? And my age? The whole thrust of this thread is that it’s a young mans game. I’m as strong and fit as most 25 year olds but I can’t hide the fact that I am 50 years old. Is that “we’ll give you a try” age, or is it “piss off and die” age?

I want to come. I think I can give something to the Oil Sands. But I can’t go on a vacation to Calgary and then find out that I’m no use to anyone. I can’t waste that kind of money. So my question is really do I stand a reasonable chance of finding a job?

I know some might wonder why I would want to leave my wife when she’s ill but she’s the one cheerleading me on to get out to Alberta.

I think that you should be able to get a job, maybe even a really good one considering your education and work experience. 50 isn't really that old, I've worked with lots of older guys in their late 60s, you should be able to find something decent.

Too bad that your money is tight because it will likely be hard to find something without comign to Alberta first, but you may as well try by applying online and contacting companies over the phone to see what happens.

If you can save up enough money to book a flight to Calgary and stay there for 3-4 weeks and apply to as many jobs as possible and see how many leads you can get before flying back, that would probably work.

I try not to be overly optimistic on this thread and don't blow smoke up guys' asses with regards to what their potential employment prospects are. You'll see throughout the thread that I always say that guys' shouldn't expect to walk into a 100K job with no experience, you'll have to work for 6 months+ before finding something good, etc.

However, since I wrote the thread there have been several guys who have moved out and pretty much walked into apprenticeships, got on the rigs and are basically now making huge money so maybe I shouldn't have been so pessimistic, its just really busy in Alberta now so guys get out there and see what happens.

Your educations+work experience+language skills will get you points in the "point system" that our immigration system runs on.

Your French language skills won't help you out much but here's one little known secret: the French speaking province of Quebec is the only province in Canada which handles their own immigration policy in order to get French speaking immigrants. A lot of Francophones move to Quebec first then get the hell out and move to Ontario or Alberta where the economies are better, so keep that in mind just in case.

02-03-2013 12:21 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes scotian's post:
Scoop
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

(02-01-2013 11:30 AM)Irishi Wrote:  Hey everyone.
First time poster here... had to wait 29 days to register. Banana
Great thread and great info, thanks Scotian and all others.
My situation is I am 36 years old and I am not sure if I can get a visa. I am in construction, drywall and metal framing and insulation is my main game, but I have also been involved in other areas and I am very adaptable. I have emailed a good few companies but I have got no replies. Is my age going to stop me getting a work visa or will I qualify for a lmo?
Do I get to Edmonton/Calgary get my licence and other courses done and then tear around the company offices with my resumé hope for a job offer and then head home and apply for visa.
Also do construction companies work in the camps? Sorry for rushed post, but I would appreciate any replies. I will post again with more info and questions.

I would cold call as many construction companies (residential,commercial,industrial) as possible in Alberta and see what they have to say as far as visa sponsorship goes, but at 36, unfortunately, you're too old to qualify for the youth visa.

The good news is that since you have experience doing drywall, it is a skill registered under the "Skilled worker criteria" of the Alberta Provincial Nominee program, so if you can prove that you have 48 months experience as a drywaller, that would probably be your best bet.

Here's a link to that info: http://www.albertacanada.com/immigration...plasterers

Hopefully you could get something arranged before you come to Canada, but you may have to come here first for a couple of weeks to hit up every drywall company from lethbridge to Fort Mac to see if you can get a sponsor.

02-03-2013 12:32 AM
Irishi
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

(02-02-2013 07:42 AM)Jourgensen Wrote:  Hi to all the people here, first time poster here and let me first say that this thread is amazing. I've been looking to move to Canada for a couple of months, to either Edmonton or Calgary, mainly cause of the jobs in oil/gas industry.

Just wanted to ask Scotian, Irishman or someone with expirience, if there's any hope for me. I'm 34 years old, 6'6, no kids, from Croatia (Eastern Europe) and with absolutely no expirience whatsoever in this field. I have a BA in agriculture and after few years working in my field, the recession pretty much smashed my company (and many others) so i'm strongly looking at this possibility.

I was thinking about moving to Calgary or Edmonton with my girlffriend, she could find a job at the restarurant or at the mall, whatever, and i'd work in oil/gas sands.

Now, i perfectly understand that no company will employee a foreigner with no skill online. But is there any chance i get there, knock on their door and get any kind of job? Something like rigger's, driller's helper, or welders helper, or whatever that is being offered to persons with no expirience?

Someone please help, i'm pretty much sick of such highly unstable economy in Croatia and Europe overall, this really looks like a good shot a decent living.

Look into the youth labour exchange program or whatever its called, I linked it a few times in previous pages, although at 34 this is the last year you would qualify and I met a Croatian guy who got a job on the rigs and he said that they only hand out something like 200 of them to Croatians each year, so get on it ASAP!

02-03-2013 12:35 AM
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

(02-02-2013 07:53 PM)Irishman Wrote:  Handy Edmonton HIHostel tip: Dont bring girls back to your room from the club. It results in a lifetime ban.

Irishman, what are you doing still banging girls in hostels? I thought you had a place of your own haha!

Have you talked to Kick lately? tell him to get in touch with me on here or FB

02-03-2013 12:38 AM
Irishi
Jourgensen Offline
Pigeon

(02-03-2013 12:35 AM)scotian Wrote:  Look into the youth labour exchange program or whatever its called, I linked it a few times in previous pages,

I'm not too old for youth labour exchange?

Quote:although at 34 this is the last year you would qualify and I met a Croatian guy who got a job on the rigs and he said that they only hand out something like 200 of them to Croatians each year, so get on it ASAP!

Do you know his name? Maybe i know him, lots of guys from my town left to Canada.

And now, if i get my visa, as i found out through this thread, my best way is to move to Edmonton, find a first construction job i can find (how much are they paying for guys with no expirience in construction and what are the shifts?), spare some money, run those courses (what exactly, in order?) and then apply for a worker in either oil or gas industry (what's better?).

I know i have alots of questions, but i would really like to prepare myself before i make my move.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2013 07:24 AM by Jourgensen.)
02-03-2013 07:14 AM
KingCokeSnorter Offline
Banned

Hey guys if I want to go out west and do crane operator any useful advice? What's the pay like,where/who should I look for job first. I have undergrad degree in business but am thinking of doing masters in petroleum engineering (I have enough physics and calc courses to get in I asked already) should I go for business job or engineer job or trade job, what pays best. Will I get hired in engineering if I have no experience and just the degree? My grandfather had 4 oil rig in his country and I use to supervise it so I could fudge my resume a little bit. What should I do, I will take whatever job pays the most. I had a geology professor who worked in oil sands and claimed he made 800k a year, was he just blowing smoke or is this for real and we was like only 40.
02-03-2013 08:09 AM
salmonfella Offline
Robin

Mate everything your asking has been mentioned in the thread start at page 1 and read it all and you will find all the answers you needSmile
02-03-2013 08:10 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like salmonfella's post:
scotian, John Mack, Atlantic
Alexander Offline
Banned

Sounds good, but I have never done manual labour in my life, I have never even used a spade

Plus I'm very pretty, so at a high risk or being butt-raped by a horny crane driver
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2013 08:30 AM by Alexander.)
02-03-2013 08:30 AM
John Mack Offline
Pigeon

Some of these recent questions have been answered on the thread already. It seems some of you might have just read the first post and are itching to get answers for your individual situation, which is understandable but it makes the thread longer and longer for everyone to get through if they've been answered already...

So my advice is: Go back and read the whole thread, even if it takes you a week. Take down all the relevant data or copy paste it to a document, or even better, print off the whole thing so you have it there in front of you. Then underline the important parts.
02-03-2013 09:22 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes John Mack's post:
Vin
KingCokeSnorter Offline
Banned

(02-03-2013 08:10 AM)salmonfella Wrote:  Mate everything your asking has been mentioned in the thread start at page 1 and read it all and you will find all the answers you needSmile

Thank you.
I actually read the entire thread 3x over like 2 months before signing up and copied alot of the parts out. If I didn't read it my question would probably be WAY longer and less specific. Ie. I'd asked some dumb question like how do you get a job in fort mcmurray. I don't recall seeing most of what I asked in there except irishman who also had an engineering degree. But the rest of the question is unanswered. No one answered if you will get a job with a master in engineering with no previous oil experience (the other guys lied about their experience) I am not trying to be anal but the difference could matter. Most guys on here were going for trade jobs or rig pig job but nowhere did I see it all compared head to head who earns more of the four (engineers, oil workers, or crane operator or business workers). So although it may seem like similar question they are a bit different but its relevant to me.

No one even talked about how much geologist earn or no one even asked about it. Unless I skipped a page by accident or forgot it, but I doubt it.
02-03-2013 06:07 PM
salmonfella Offline
Robin

(02-03-2013 06:07 PM)KingCokeSnorter Wrote:  
(02-03-2013 08:10 AM)salmonfella Wrote:  Mate everything your asking has been mentioned in the thread start at page 1 and read it all and you will find all the answers you needSmile

Thank you.
I actually read the entire thread 3x over like 2 months before signing up and copied alot of the parts out. If I didn't read it my question would probably be WAY longer and less specific. Ie. I'd asked some dumb question like how do you get a job in fort mcmurray. I don't recall seeing most of what I asked in there except irishman who also had an engineering degree. But the rest of the question is unanswered. No one answered if you will get a job with a master in engineering with no previous oil experience (the other guys lied about their experience) I am not trying to be anal but the difference could matter. Most guys on here were going for trade jobs or rig pig job but nowhere did I see it all compared head to head who earns more of the four (engineers, oil workers, or crane operator or business workers). So although it may seem like similar question they are a bit different but its relevant to me.

No one even talked about how much geologist earn or no one even asked about it. Unless I skipped a page by accident or forgot it, but I doubt it.

Mate the message i left was ment for Jourgensen not you if you look we nearly posted them at exactly the same time so my reply was for the poster above yoursSmile
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2013 07:00 PM by salmonfella.)
02-03-2013 06:59 PM
Scoop Offline
Pigeon

Thanks Linotype for your reply.

Thank you Scotian for your reply, not just to me, but to everyone who asks a question, however banal.

There is a recurring theme running through this thread. There is plenty of well-paid work in Alberta. No matter how often we hesitaters ask questions about our trades or nationalities or the cold or whether we will be able to find our favourite brand of minty toothpaste in Fort Mac, the fact will always remain. We are asking questions whilst the doers are doing and reaping the rewards.

My main question was about my advanced age. Linotype gave me three great examples of people older than me who are all well employed up there. That's enough for me. Irishman's story of how he hustled with a suit and an empty briefcase, knowing full well that when he got the break he would have the stones to do the job is just inspirational. Ferros last post is like a bible that I will use to hit the ground running.

So I'm coming out in two or three weeks. I am now confident that I will get a job of some kind, and I know that it's all down to me if I don't. Will I be able to hack the work? I don't know. I can stand the loneliness of being away from family, the cold, the repetition and the being shouted at. But the 84 hour + weeks? I've never done that before so I don't know, but I'm a worker. I'd like to think that they'll have to dig me out of a snow drift before they sack me.

A bientôt.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2013 08:09 PM by Scoop.)
02-03-2013 08:01 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scoop's post:
Irishi
rudebwoy Away
Peacock
Gold Member

(02-01-2013 05:37 AM)Scoop Wrote:  This is the most remarkable thread I have ever come across. It took me ages to read it all and then a week before I could post a reply. My thanks to everyone who has contributed and especially Scotian who started it and who has filled it with positive energy.

I’m hoping that a couple of you may be able to give me some advice.

I’m English and I’m 50 years old. A long time ago I did a BSc and a Masters degree in Civil Engineering. I worked in construction for 4 years and then I started my own business in wholesale, nothing to do with engineering. For many years I did very well but one bad investment left me on the ropes.

As the recession hit I started a business cleaning wheelie bins (trash cans) in my town in England, which I reckon is a bit like Scotian’s “100 miles East of Buttfuck Nowhere”. I did OK and with my wife’s salary we got along.

Sadly my wife became ill recently (cancer) and she has had to stop work. She’s ok and treatment has gone really well, but she just can’t work. This has left me with a broken heart and a financial problem, and with two kids (17 and 12) things are getting tight.

I thought about the oil sands a while ago. My sister emigrated to Canada twenty years ago and now lives in Calgary. I’ve got free accommodation there for as long as I want, a luxury most aren’t fortunate enough to have. I’m old but I’m keen. I’m 6’5” and I can work long hours in bad weather. I don’t care what I do. I’m perfectly happy for someone to say “There’s your shovel and there’s your shit” as long as I get paid. I speak and write fluent French, having worked in France for 13 years (although I never met a Canadian who actually spoke French outside Quebec. It’s just on the banknotes and the tins of sweetcorn, so not much use in AB).

The problem is that in order to get a job I need a Temporary Work Permit. And in order to get a Temporary Work Permit I need a job. And as Scotian and others have pointed out, the best way to get a job at my level is to turn up in person.

So I’m ready to roll. Thanks to the guidance on this thread I can do all the things Irishman and others so brilliantly did and get my driving licence and certificates, and a $500 truck (I’m already dreaming about my $500 truck) and hustle with my CV. But if I get a job then I have to come back to England and wait about 90 days for my work permit. Will any employer keep a job open for that long for a shit-shoveller? And my age? The whole thrust of this thread is that it’s a young mans game. I’m as strong and fit as most 25 year olds but I can’t hide the fact that I am 50 years old. Is that “we’ll give you a try” age, or is it “piss off and die” age?

I want to come. I think I can give something to the Oil Sands. But I can’t go on a vacation to Calgary and then find out that I’m no use to anyone. I can’t waste that kind of money. So my question is really do I stand a reasonable chance of finding a job?

I know some might wonder why I would want to leave my wife when she’s ill but she’s the one cheerleading me on to get out to Alberta.

You might qualify for the Federal skilled visa? There is also a provincal visa for Alberta which might be easier to get. Both of the visa's will allow you to live/work in Canada without a job lined up.
Check out this website - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index-can.asp for more details.
I think what most people need to understand that they are desperate for workers in Alberta, most people I know won't move because they are afraid of the unknown.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com
02-03-2013 08:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes rudebwoy's post:
Scoop
Atlantic Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

(02-03-2013 12:38 AM)scotian Wrote:  
(02-02-2013 07:53 PM)Irishman Wrote:  Handy Edmonton HIHostel tip: Dont bring girls back to your room from the club. It results in a lifetime ban.

Irishman, what are you doing still banging girls in hostels? I thought you had a place of your own haha!

Have you talked to Kick lately? tell him to get in touch with me on here or FB

Ha I had a place but moved out till spring break up. I am working a lot so just drive wherever when Im off and party. Ill get a place in etown soon though.

Kick is in good form man. I have had some great nights out with him. Ill get him to get in touch with you.
02-03-2013 08:40 PM
Atlantic Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

(02-03-2013 08:09 AM)KingCokeSnorter Wrote:  Hey guys if I want to go out west and do crane operator any useful advice? What's the pay like,where/who should I look for job first. I have undergrad degree in business but am thinking of doing masters in petroleum engineering (I have enough physics and calc courses to get in I asked already) should I go for business job or engineer job or trade job, what pays best. Will I get hired in engineering if I have no experience and just the degree? My grandfather had 4 oil rig in his country and I use to supervise it so I could fudge my resume a little bit. What should I do, I will take whatever job pays the most. I had a geology professor who worked in oil sands and claimed he made 800k a year, was he just blowing smoke or is this for real and we was like only 40.

So do you want to be a crane operator, study petroleum, do a business job, do an engineering job, work in the trades, or be a geologist? You mentioned wanting to do all of them so don't even know what exactly you are after
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2013 08:53 PM by Atlantic.)
02-03-2013 08:50 PM
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

(02-03-2013 08:01 PM)Scoop Wrote:  Thanks Linotype for your reply.

Thank you Scotian for your reply, not just to me, but to everyone who asks a question, however banal.

There is a recurring theme running through this thread. There is plenty of well-paid work in Alberta. No matter how often we hesitaters ask questions about our trades or nationalities or the cold or whether we will be able to find our favourite brand of minty toothpaste in Fort Mac, the fact will always remain. We are asking questions whilst the doers are doing and reaping the rewards.

My main question was about my advanced age. Linotype gave me three great examples of people older than me who are all well employed up there. That's enough for me. Irishman's story of how he hustled with a suit and an empty briefcase, knowing full well that when he got the break he would have the stones to do the job is just inspirational. Ferros last post is like a bible that I will use to hit the ground running.

So I'm coming out in two or three weeks. I am now confident that I will get a job of some kind, and I know that it's all down to me if I don't. Will I be able to hack the work? I don't know. I can stand the loneliness of being away from family, the cold, the repetition and the being shouted at. But the 84 hour + weeks? I've never done that before so I don't know, but I'm a worker. I'd like to think that they'll have to dig me out of a snow drift before they sack me.

A bientôt.

I wouldn't worry too much about the work hours, yes 84+/week is a lot but you won't be working the entire time, there's always safety meetings, paper work to fill out, breaks and a lot of time just sitting around waiting for the next thing to happen.

Just follow all of the advice on the thread and apply to as many positions as you can in all different sectors: pipeline, construction, refineries, oil sands, drilling, etc. Get as many interviews as possible and see what happens.

02-03-2013 10:13 PM
Scoop
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

(02-03-2013 08:09 AM)KingCokeSnorter Wrote:  Hey guys if I want to go out west and do crane operator any useful advice? What's the pay like,where/who should I look for job first. I have undergrad degree in business but am thinking of doing masters in petroleum engineering (I have enough physics and calc courses to get in I asked already) should I go for business job or engineer job or trade job, what pays best. Will I get hired in engineering if I have no experience and just the degree? My grandfather had 4 oil rig in his country and I use to supervise it so I could fudge my resume a little bit. What should I do, I will take whatever job pays the most. I had a geology professor who worked in oil sands and claimed he made 800k a year, was he just blowing smoke or is this for real and we was like only 40.

That's a hard question to answer because you talking about four very different work paths.

-Crane operators make around $30-45 depending if they're union or not, a guy could make $150-200K/year, easy, but he'd have to put in a lot of OT.

-I'm not sure about engineers because I don't know too many but I see a lot of jobs posted online in the 120-150K range, this is for 40 hours/week.

-Business jobs, I don't know, depends on if you're an office lacky doing paper work or you're an executive in an oil company, this could range from 50K to in the millions.

-I've never met a geologist so I can't say but I imagine they'd be making around what an engineer makes.

Figure out what you want to do first because there's a HUGE difference between being a tradesman and being a petroleum engineer.

02-03-2013 10:22 PM
Portuguese Offline
Pigeon

Hi there finally i got my permanent resident visa complete,now i am gonna pay the fee and wait to receive my card!!once i got my card go to toronto take my drivers licence work a lot of hours take a course of heavy duty excavators and prepare myself to go to fort mac next year for sure!!!I am 35 but never give up if i have a good opportunity!Almost read the full thread!!!Thanks for the good information!!!Good luck to everybody out there!!!!!(sorry about my english)!!!
02-04-2013 04:54 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Portuguese's post:
Spickpaddy
salmonfella Offline
Robin

how were you able to apply to be a permanent resident? are you in canada already or have family there? i taught you have to do 2 years in canada and go through a LOT of paper work before you even receive the forms to apply?
02-04-2013 07:08 AM
Portuguese Offline
Pigeon

My wife,she is canadian and she apply directly to the canadian embassy in Paris she start last august and its almost done!!At the moment i am in Portugal but have a lot of family in toronto where i am going in a 1st fase then go to edmonton or fort mac!!I hope to have chance at least to try!!!At the moment Europe is not not for me,and Portugal its the worst country at the moment to work unfortunately!!!I am proud of my country but i am too young to give up and i am going to sacrifice because of my future and my family!!!!I hope with your help I AM GONNA MAKE IT COUSE I BELIEVE!|!!!!!!
02-04-2013 08:13 AM
salmonfella Offline
Robin

Ah your lucky so you will do fine i know about Europe its very bad i am from Ireland and there's no work here at all. I am going to Calgary at the end of march. Cant wait now hopefully make a good life for myself i am 23 so still young and have that drive to better myself and succeed. I think it really comes down to how bad you want it a lot of people say they want it but don't follow through and make the move.the select few will and will do well for themselves scotian,irishman for example.I wish you all the best.
02-04-2013 08:21 AM
Irishi Offline
Pigeon

Hey all,
Sorry bout rushed post last time, had to calve a cow for the brother! Thanks for the reply Scotian and the thread. Yes I looked that link up and it still looks like I will have to get a job offer to get a visa. The 48 months experience should be no prob as I was subbing work off main contractors for years and I will get a reference for same. I will make calls to the drywall companies I have already contacted and see if I can get a job offer without travelling back and forth. Hopefully I can get an offer, get out to alberta do my courses and driving licence and start work. But if I have to I will be out in a few weeks before end of Feb or March, depending on, and do the courses and licence and hit as many companies as possible. How long should I allow to get this done? would one busy week get me sorted? And a bigger problem Can I do the courses on a holiday visa?
Also do drywall companies work camps? I want to get to camp work eventually and I hope I can change from drywall work if necessary to secure camp work. I can turn my hand to most things and work and hours don't matter.
Another big problem.... Has that cheap hostel put a ban on all Irish after IRISHMAN's latest bit of bursting??!! Irishman you dog!!
Thanks for all the help, all the info is worthwhile, and all is taken on board.
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2013 08:33 AM by Irishi.)
02-04-2013 08:29 AM
salmonfella Offline
Robin

Haha calve a cow only an Irish lad will say that hahahBig Grin good times i haven't had to do it in a while thankfully. Mate you missed out on the IEC visa it opened last week and the 6,350 applications went in 4 days:o i was lucky i got mine in on time so i will hopefully be granted with a 2 year work permit.. you will be able to stay in a hostel alright i am going out at the end march from Ireland too. you will need to get an LMO visa as you wont be able to work on a holiday visa i am sorry to say your only option atm is to get an LMO you wont be able to do any courses or work on a Holiday visa.all the best.
02-04-2013 09:22 AM
Jourgensen Offline
Pigeon

But you can do course on working holiday visa, right?

Also, are there any chances one gets to Edmonton on a tourist visa, finds a job in construction and his employee gets him a LMO?
02-04-2013 10:54 AM