Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
salmonfella Offline
Robin

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Yes on Working Holiday Visa you can like the IEC visa for example. i meant an tourist visa that allows you to have a vacation in canada you can not do any courses or work on that. and if you do it would be illegal. well if you have a skill that is in huge demand they might but the employer has to prove they can not get a local to do the same job before he can apply for an LMO. but that saying it all depends on what skill you have. if you are unskilled it would be highly unlikely you would get an LMO. and your best bet would be the iec visa but you would need to be under the age of 35.
02-04-2013 11:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
RossTan Offline
Banned

(01-05-2013 10:01 PM)Nima Wrote:  Scotian and others, I'm looking for a place to rent in Calgary, but I've got no idea where. I have a 5 day course in SAIT but it's only 5 days so even if I'm a million miles away I can still get myself to class somehow. But since I don't know where I'll be working after, I don't know where to look for rent.

Should I just aim for the downtown area or...? Compared to Vancouver, Calgary seems like a small town (looking at the map). I guess it won't hurt to just look for the cheapest place no matter where it's at.

Aim to live in the areas of Rundle and Pineridge( NE) or Chinook ( S.W. S.E) These are close to Foothills Industrial where most of the major factories are in Calgary and ONE bus ride to the C-Train. Avoid anything in Forest Lawn and Applewood. (These are LAST resort areas.)

Bankview is an area close to downtown and has the most affordable rent for its location. Should be able to find a one bedroom for $650 a month and a bachelor for $585 a month
02-04-2013 01:37 PM
RossTan Offline
Banned

(01-08-2013 09:10 PM)Living the dream Wrote:  Hey, I was thinking of heading up to Fort Mac for some work. I wanted to get into the Heavy Duty Mechanic side of things but it seems all the pre apprenticeship programs have ridiculous wait lists. The one at BCIT is full until 2015 for example.

Is it possible to get in green in this trade? I do have some background. I am taking the AME (Aircraft Maintenance Engineer) course right now at BCIT just finished the first semester so I know a bit about fixing engines and stuff along those lines. I want to switch over my program to HD mechanic but really don't feel like waiting 2 years to get into a pre apprentice program.

Thanks for the help.

Recommend you consider Lethbridge College. They offer training for Heavy Duty Mechanics. Guaranteed if this is the trade you want to be in, look at schools OUTSIDE of B.C. Smile
02-04-2013 01:53 PM
RossTan Offline
Banned

When I did my OSSA Fall Protection course, I was at the warehouse where they built the harnesses and all the safety gear to work at heights (DBI SALA, Protecta) and when I told them I may be moving up to Fort Mac, their responses were mostly negative, saying this from "Oh jeez, that's one place I wouldn't want to go" to "It's rough over there" and even "That's kind of a stupid decision". A couple of them have been there. Not that I'm letting it get me down, but considering most of their responses were of this nature, kind of makes you think a little.

Regardless of what's being said, beggars can't be choosers. If my cousin doesn't go through with his word then I'm still employing your blueprint to make it happen. It's pretty much a waiting game for me at this point, and I'm itching to go. Even though this is all a calculated risk that I'm taking, I'm scared as fuck.

But then I watch videos like this, and I remember why I'm doing this. Going through this thread every so often helps, too.
[/quote]

People who are afraid of risk like to project their own fear onto other people so they won't feel bad about being cowards. Focus on the SUCCESSFUL and not the the unsuccessful in anything you pursue. They've decided to live lives of quiet desperation while you are seeking a greater path for yourself. Misery loves company, so leave misery behind and go forth and explore! Smile In other words....f*ck 'em! Banana
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2013 02:05 PM by RossTan.)
02-04-2013 02:04 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like RossTan's post:
Irishi, Thehustler, Scoop
salmonfella Offline
Robin

Yea i am the same but hoping to live in Bank view or killarney or sunulta. cant wait nowSmile
02-04-2013 02:06 PM
Portuguese Offline
Pigeon

Hi there once again,i start reading this thread and i cant stop now!!Every page i read i feel more motivated to go to edmonton/fort mac!!My situation in portugal is not the best,i am working a couple of hours a day 6/8H and the salary is just 5€H(around 7/8$$H)I have a house to pay for the next 35 years and a daughter with 7 years and here i will never get my house paid until i am 65/70 years old!!!!!!!!So i am a man that dream a lot and never give up,so i said to my wife that i need to do something and change ours life!!I star search jobs in Canada and finally i found this form, start reading and get more motivated page by page!!We apply to imigration for a sponsor because she is canadian and now its almost concluded and i am just waiting to my card and go to toronto a couple of months to earn some money and prepare for the big move up north next year!!!She and my daughter will stay in portugal untill i get a solid situation!!!So this thread has been my strong motivation the last 3/4 months and now i feel that i can achieve with my determination!!!As i said i love to read the great message from you and i will be pleased to meet you!!At the moment my only concern is the language,i understand read and speak but not to write as well,but i hope and feel that is just a matter of time i get used to!!!Thanks once again!!!!
02-04-2013 03:49 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Portuguese's post:
John Mack
Jourgensen Offline
Pigeon

Ok people, i know i must be boring as hell...but i just found out that i have a close relatives (well sort of) in Sydney, Australia, therefore i might get visa over there much easier and off course the weather is much nicer.

Now, i was reading this thread, and if i'm right, these type of jobs (oil/gas industry) are available in Australia as well. Does anyone knows what's going on there? What are the sallaries down there, shifts, is it more difficult to get into this bussines as it is in then let say Edmonton? How far are those fields from Sydney (cause my soon to be wife would be coming with me and we hope we could find her a job in Sydney)?

If anyone knows any of this, please let me know.

Thanks
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2013 04:56 PM by Jourgensen.)
02-04-2013 04:55 PM
Thehustler Offline
Pigeon

(02-04-2013 04:55 PM)Jourgensen Wrote:  Ok people, i know i must be boring as hell...but i just found out that i have a close relatives (well sort of) in Sydney, Australia, therefore i might get visa over there much easier and off course the weather is much nicer.

Now, i was reading this thread, and if i'm right, these type of jobs (oil/gas industry) are available in Australia as well. Does anyone knows what's going on there? What are the sallaries down there, shifts, is it more difficult to get into this bussines as it is in then let say Edmonton? How far are those fields from Sydney (cause my soon to be wife would be coming with me and we hope we could find her a job in Sydney)?

Thanks

I can only talk about Western Australia which has similar job opportunites and lavish wages and if you get into a trade you're definitely set. It's definitely more competitive than Alberta or so I have heard... not too sure about Sydney though.
02-04-2013 05:18 PM
John Mack Offline
Pigeon

(02-04-2013 04:55 PM)Jourgensen Wrote:  Ok people, i know i must be boring as hell...but i just found out that i have a close relatives (well sort of) in Sydney, Australia, therefore i might get visa over there much easier and off course the weather is much nicer.

Thanks

Ok this is off topic so will try to keep it short. Maybe you should start a new thread.
Australia has a huge and thriving mining industry, everything from gas to aluminium to nickel to gold. There are the same type jobs there as there are in the Canada sands - fly in out camp type jobs. They're all in remote places so yes far away from Sydney but they fly you from wherever you live so that's not a problem if you base yourself there. Sydney's the nicest city I've ever lived in by a longshot and it has a massive Croatian population. Salaries were big when I was there a few years ago. It was 28 on 7 off though in 35+degree heat so not for pussies. You get used to it though.
Loads of companies hire all year round.
I worked with these guys: http://www.thiess.com/careers.
More here : http://www.gradconnection.com.au/forums/...ia/?page=1
And there are no 'dry' camps in Oz. The industry would come to a standstill overnight if such a thing was implemented haha. It's just too hot not to have a nice beer or two after work.
02-04-2013 05:35 PM
Jourgensen Offline
Pigeon

(02-04-2013 05:18 PM)Thehustler Wrote:  I can only talk about Western Australia which has similar job opportunites and lavish wages

What figures we're talking about?

Quote:and if you get into a trade you're definitely set. It's definitely more competitive than Alberta or so I have heard... not too sure about Sydney though.

What's procedure for newbie/unskilled guy like me? Same as in Alberta? Couple of courses and such, or there's something more?
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2013 06:07 PM by Jourgensen.)
02-04-2013 06:06 PM
RossTan Offline
Banned

(02-04-2013 05:35 PM)John Mack Wrote:  

Thanks

Ok this is off topic so will try to keep it short. Maybe you should start a new thread.
Australia has a huge and thriving mining industry, everything from gas to aluminium to nickel to gold. There are the same type jobs there as there are in the Canada sands - fly in out camp type jobs. They're all in remote places so yes far away from Sydney but they fly you from wherever you live so that's not a problem if you base yourself there. Sydney's the nicest city I've ever lived in by a longshot and it has a massive Croatian population. Salaries were big when I was there a few years ago. It was 28 on 7 off though in 35+degree heat so not for pussies. You get used to it though.
Loads of companies hire all year round.
And there are no 'dry' camps in Oz. The industry would come to a standstill overnight if such a thing was implemented haha. It's just too hot not to have a nice beer or two after work.

How 'bout you start a thread! Smile Same title different location. The same amount of money folks make in Alberta can make in Australia as well through the mining industry. I recall they did a story a few months back about their shortage of labor. One guy already made over a million in earnings in 5 years working the mines....he spent most of it too! Angry BUT, the bright side is others didn't. Smile They had workers from the Phillipines working the mines as well, cause labor is short.
02-04-2013 06:08 PM
Jourgensen Offline
Pigeon

(02-04-2013 05:35 PM)John Mack Wrote:  It was 28 on 7 off though

Thing is, i'm not afraid of work and longetivety, it's just that my girlfriend just doesn't want to be alone for such extensive period of time in a place and country where she doesn't know a single soul. Is there are more humane option, so to speak, like 14/7 or something like that? And if it's 28/7, is that a 12 hour/day?

Quote:in 35+degree heat so not for pussies. You get used to it though.

So, what's worse from your expirience? Working on -50 or 40+? Man, God really must be a joker, it's really from one extreme to another.

Quote:Loads of companies hire all year round.

Thanks alot man.
02-04-2013 06:13 PM
RossTan Offline
Banned

(02-01-2013 11:36 AM)pitt Wrote:  Does anybody knows if you have to pay taxes to your government if you start working abroad? Can they find out that you are working abroad?

Go to your local tax office and find out what papers you have to sign, and find out if they have a tax treaty with Canada. If you don't sign the appropriate paper work before earning wages, yes, you can be taxed TWICE on your income upon return to your country of origin. I've seen it happen more than once.
02-04-2013 06:23 PM
pitt Offline
Hummingbird
Gold Member

(02-04-2013 06:23 PM)RossTan Wrote:  
(02-01-2013 11:36 AM)pitt Wrote:  Does anybody knows if you have to pay taxes to your government if you start working abroad? Can they find out that you are working abroad?

Go to your local tax office and find out what papers you have to sign, and find out if they have a tax treaty with Canada. If you don't sign the appropriate paper work before earning wages, yes, you can be taxed TWICE on your income upon return to your country of origin. I've seen it happen more than once.

Damn really? That sucks.

I need to research more about this. If i am getting taxed in the UK for working in Canada then i probably wont leave. Plus i have this income for life here that they can cut me off soon as i start working. I need to figure out another plan.
02-04-2013 06:37 PM
RossTan Offline
Banned

Just get the proper tax papers signed before leaving the UK to avoid being double taxed if/when you return to the UK. Wink
02-04-2013 06:43 PM
rudebwoy Away
Peacock
Gold Member

(02-04-2013 06:13 PM)Jourgensen Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 05:35 PM)John Mack Wrote:  It was 28 on 7 off though

Thing is, i'm not afraid of work and longetivety, it's just that my girlfriend just doesn't want to be alone for such extensive period of time in a place and country where she doesn't know a single soul. Is there are more humane option, so to speak, like 14/7 or something like that? And if it's 28/7, is that a 12 hour/day?

Quote:in 35+degree heat so not for pussies. You get used to it though.

So, what's worse from your expirience? Working on -50 or 40+? Man, God really must be a joker, it's really from one extreme to another.

Quote:Loads of companies hire all year round.

Thanks alot man.

Dude think of the money, you can live a pretty good life back in Croatia if you stick it out. Where else are you going to earn that sort of money? To my understanding isn't there a four month work visa you can get for Canada.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com
02-04-2013 07:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Jourgensen Offline
Pigeon

(02-04-2013 07:02 PM)rudebwoy Wrote:  Dude think of the money, you can live a pretty good life back in Croatia if you stick it out.

I am! I'm thinking long term. I'm not a big spender, I'm planing to do this for the 5-7 years, come back to Croatia and just enjoy my life with shitload of cash.

Quote:To my understanding isn't there a four month work visa you can get for Canada.

I'm definitely leaning toward Australia. Just a nicer weather and from what i can tell, even better money.

If i'm not mistaken, Perth (and western australia) seems to be the center of this whole industry. If i could find a place in Perth and work somewhere near (although that's probably a pipe dream), within a car distance, that would be ideal.
02-04-2013 07:36 PM
Jack Of All Trades Offline
Woodpecker
Gold Member

Hey guys I'm planning out my move in the next couple of weeks. I'm wondering which city, calgary vs edmonton has the better public transit system? I won't be able to buy a car once I land since I've got a really tight budget. My parents are giving me trouble about moving out there, originally they said to help me out with some $$$ but now are dissuading me from moving.
02-04-2013 07:37 PM
RossTan Offline
Banned

Another tip when moving to any city. Check the local police website and look for a crime map to help you decide where to live.

I typed in "Edmonton City Police Crime Map" in google before looking for a place to live in Edmonton. It helped, 'cause some places were ridiculously cheap and when I checked the crime map.. they had a lot of car thefts in the area...no wonder the rent was cheap.

http://crimemapping.edmontonpolice.ca/
02-04-2013 07:38 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes RossTan's post:
John Mack
John Mack Offline
Pigeon

Quote:Thing is, i'm not afraid of work and longetivety, it's just that my girlfriend just doesn't want to be alone for such extensive period of time in a place and country where she doesn't know a single soul. Is there are more humane option, so to speak, like 14/7 or something like that? And if it's 28/7, is that a 12 hour/day?

Yeah 12 hour days. There are different rotations for different jobs; I've heard of 21/7's on some of them. The locations of the worksites make it impossible for a company to consider girlfriend/family friendly options. They're in the bush mate - usually many hours drive even to get to the nearest airport. So when you go out there it's for a long stretch and long hours. It is what it is. You get paid well for the inconvenience.
Some of the older guys did have their wives with them and kids sometimes and lived in their caravans next to the camp. Depends on where you are. We were in a nice enough spot; about 5 hours drive from the barrier reef.

Quote:So, what's worse from your expirience? Working on -50 or 40+? Man, God really must be a joker, it's really from one extreme to another.

Ha. I haven't worked in -50 yet dude. Am betting it's worse than +40 heat though.
02-04-2013 07:55 PM
salmonfella Offline
Robin

i tell ya something working them kind of hours will take it out of you i done 14 days in a row on the bog turning turf worked 11 hours a day and i was fairly beat by the end of it but it was worth it come the winter of 2009/10 Smile ya think working in the oil sands is tough come to the bog for a day haha
On a serious note i would say go for it i no i am were are getting serious inside information and in some cases being told exactly what to do. we would be mad not to act on it. scotian and irishman give me a shout when your in Calgary pints on meBig Grin
02-04-2013 08:06 PM
JohnGorm Offline
Pigeon

Hey all!

I read this whole thread during the weekend and astonished by the money that can be made in the oil sands. I've always been interested in becoming a paramedic but I cannot find much information on paramedics in the oil sands/rigs. What is the expected pay? Hours? How hard is it to become one in the sands/rigs? No worries about citizenship/visas, I was born in Fort Mac(ironic eh?) and living in Sask.
02-04-2013 08:16 PM
RossTan Offline
Banned

(02-04-2013 08:16 PM)JohnGorm Wrote:  Hey all!

I read this whole thread during the weekend and astonished by the money that can be made in the oil sands. I've always been interested in becoming a paramedic but I cannot find much information on paramedics in the oil sands/rigs. What is the expected pay? Hours? How hard is it to become one in the sands/rigs? No worries about citizenship/visas, I was born in Fort Mac(ironic eh?) and living in Sask.

Dude you can definitely google that. Wink Nonetheless quick search on google Smile
http://www.indeed.ca/jobs?q=paramedic&l=alberta
02-04-2013 08:59 PM
payne Offline
Pigeon

Scotian, outstanding resource you've put together here along with other contributors. For those of us looking at a career reboot this thing really rocks! Thank you all. I'm not thrilled with Ontario and look forward to making a move to the power prov. Choosing a path- Would you go further with why you're disinterested in working on a drilling rig? I've been looking to a basic rig training program with Enform. After which getting my foot in the door with a drilling company would be possible. however, after review, trades may be the better choice as the sheer number of ops are greater. Neither environmental challenges nor physical challenges are an issue. I'm comfortable with heights and cold as a ice climber. It's more about career success- money. I have a scaffolding opportunity out of Etown and would like to know your thoughts on this trade? Irishman, would you mind speaking to this also- rigs Vs trades? I understand you're working in the drilling sector now? Hope that's going well and to both you guys - Thanks for the help!
02-04-2013 10:48 PM
Cyclone Offline
Kingfisher
Gold Member

As a graduate Environmental Engineer I certainly hope there are relevant opportunities for me.

However, *for those of you considering going to Australia*, note that the industry is on a DECLINE and it is actually not that easy to get a job out in Western Australia even in the mines at this point. They really try to be self-sufficient and not hire foreigners. Secondly, getting the visa is a pain in the ass, most of you will have to pay $3000 for the typical working visa (unless you convince them to sponsor you, which you better have some experience for). If I don't get into grad school I'll be going to Perth instead so I'll make sure to keep you guys updated on my front.

The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary.
DATASHEETS: Singapore (2014) | Vietnam (2015) | Cebu (2015) | Honolulu (2016) | Couchsurfing (2016) | KS, Taiwan (2018)
BTC: 1MoAetVtsmM48mkRx66Z9gYkBZGzqepGb5
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2013 11:22 PM by Cyclone.)
02-04-2013 11:21 PM