Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Russian language: no more bullshit
marty Offline
Woodpecker
Gold Member

RE: Russian language: no more bullshit
(05-27-2016 06:25 PM)ElFlaco Wrote:  
(05-26-2016 09:03 AM)marty Wrote:  Duolingo isn't very useful either

I'm not a Russian student, but here's an observation. I've never met a novice language learner who got to intermediate level speaking with Duolingo or similar. People swear by it, but look closer and you see that they're language dabblers, not language users.
Exactly. It gives you the impression you're learning a language but actually you're not really learning anything useful.

(05-27-2016 06:25 PM)ElFlaco Wrote:  
(05-26-2016 09:03 AM)marty Wrote:  Native materials are the key and are much more fun than using the aforementioned materials.

Unless you're already able to hold you own in a conversation (with mistakes and gaps, certainly), you're probably not ready for a diet of all 'authentic' materials. Once you can understand about 90% of what you hear or read, then you're able to fill in the meaning of the missing pieces based on the context. That's where learning really take off.
That's a bit vague. What kind of conversation are we talking about? You should be able to express yourself and understand what your partner is saying in a simple conversation after a few months (and by simple I don't mean something like "What's your name?", "Where are you from?", etc. but talking about your interests and somewhat more complex topics, albeit in a simple manner). Of course the actual time depends on the language.

You don't have to understand everything to be able to enjoy native materials. And you'll never learn a language well unless you make the transition into native media instead of trying to learn from dumbed-down material aimed at foreign language learners. You can start by reading children's books, comics or short stories, then work your way up.
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2016 09:18 AM by marty.)
05-28-2016 09:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like marty's post:
PeruLover12, ElFlaco, swuglyfe

Messages In This Thread
Russian language: no more bullshit - Roosh - 04-14-2013, 06:51 PM
RE: Russian language: no more bullshit - marty - 05-28-2016 09:18 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Calorie Calculators are Bullshit Steelex 10 7,301 07-26-2017 01:55 AM
Last Post: king bast
  The Stock Market is bullshit cardguy 198 76,698 05-29-2014 07:27 AM
Last Post: Steve9
  The best no bullshit fitness and weight traning site I've seen speakeasy 31 21,940 01-29-2014 05:51 PM
Last Post: theking