Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Russian language: no more bullshit
Constitution45 Offline
Pelican

RE: Russian language: no more bullshit
(06-01-2016 06:28 PM)ElFlaco Wrote:  
(06-01-2016 08:40 AM)scrambled Wrote:  Really, the best way to learn a language is to hire a tutor; so, essentially, Pimsleur is a less-expensive, more convenient, and infinitely more patient, one-on-one tutor that will bring you to the "1" or "elementary proficiency" level.

I think the disconnect here is that some language learners have objectively poor skills and, as such, don't realize just how far they actually are from what is possible. To put a specific definition on it, I'm talking about people who couldn't pass the A1 (beginner) exam offered by the standard language certifying bodies for the major international languages. That's a objectively low bar for proficiency. You can do almost nothing with A1. It is merely a foundation for further study.

Those of us who have had far more success can accurately evaluate the level of those who haven't, but the opposite is not true. This is the Dunning-Kruger effect and applies to self-awareness of knowledge in general. So when we observe that the same people who swear by these popular approaches are precisely the same ones who are perpetual beginners, we rightly discard their testimonials. Also, there is also a relevant body of knowledge called Second Language Acquisition. Anyone interested in finding out what is known about how adults learn languages could benefit by checking it out.

Personally, I've given hundreds of hours of private language lessons and I've taken many private lessons as a student myself as well, all of which has led me to believe that private tutoring is not the best way to learn a language. It is merely a good way to discover where you are weak and what specifics things you have failed to notice about the language on your own for whatever reason. It should be a small part of a much larger and varied program of study.

I agree, I used to teach English quite a lot in that private lesson format and I came to the conclusion that for some students it only gets them so far. Also it becomes problematic when your student only can understand when you speak the language, let alone anyone else.
06-05-2016 02:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Constitution45's post:
ElFlaco

Messages In This Thread
Russian language: no more bullshit - Roosh - 04-14-2013, 06:51 PM
RE: Russian language: no more bullshit - Constitution45 - 06-05-2016 02:51 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Calorie Calculators are Bullshit Steelex 10 7,288 07-26-2017 01:55 AM
Last Post: king bast
  The Stock Market is bullshit cardguy 198 76,590 05-29-2014 07:27 AM
Last Post: Steve9
  The best no bullshit fitness and weight traning site I've seen speakeasy 31 21,916 01-29-2014 05:51 PM
Last Post: theking