I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

The Stephen King Appreciation Thread
Tail Gunner Offline
Hummingbird
Gold Member

RE: The Stephen King Appreciation Thread
(07-15-2019 04:16 AM)Richard Turpin Wrote:  As a teen I read a load of SK books and enjoyed them at the time. Mostly this was because it was pre-internet and horror books were a good way of getting access to some risque (at the time) material; guaranteed sex and violence. My views on him and his books are clouded by those wonderful nostalgic feels I get when I think back to reading IT, Carrie, Cujo etc at school in my break-times.

So it's difficult to remain impartial. Although it probably speaks volumes that despite being an avid reader, I haven't read or re-read one of his books for the best part of 20 years! Maybe I'm missing out?

His early works make great reading. As Bienvenuto mentioned, these guys are instilled with the pathological narcissism that now permeates society. They feel that they must subtly preach to the deplorables, rather simply provide good entertainment. I recently re-read "Cujo." Still entertaining for a plane ride. I would certainly not place money into SK's pocket by buying a new book. He has now become the monster. Do not feed him.
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2019 10:38 AM by Tail Gunner.)
07-15-2019 10:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tail Gunner's post:
robreke

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Stephen King Appreciation Thread - Tail Gunner - 07-15-2019 10:34 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Best Horror Books/Authors (Outside of Stephen King/Lovecraft) 2Wycked 13 4,999 10-18-2019 04:37 PM
Last Post: Bizet
  The Pewdiepie appreciation thread Rudideviz 158 27,707 09-13-2019 11:08 AM
Last Post: [email protected]
  Kona Appreciation Thread Suits 19 2,234 08-25-2019 07:47 PM
Last Post: SlickyBoy