Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Becoming an artist?
Ice Offline
Woodpecker

RE: Becoming an artist?
(05-30-2014 10:14 AM)Zelcorpion Wrote:  
(05-30-2014 08:06 AM)Ice Wrote:  

Before having started in the corporate world for real I worked 6 months for an Art magazine that was supported by the state and visited many exhibitions and galleries and also met the real clients.

I also met quite a few struggling as well as successful artists.

As with all things in our world, art is a market with certain rules.

The likelihood of success that you can actually live well off - not talking about millions of $ here - just survive making 50.000$ or more is minimal.

Tips:

- You have to be extremely talented and be passionate about it working non-stop

- you have to have found a unique style

- Being well-connected helps, being Jewish helps too, being Chinese helps nowadays

- Nationality is relevant - in some countries the rich have an inferiority complex and are not buying their own up- and coming artists - if you are born there, your chances of success fall tremendously - you would have to move somewhere else to succeed

- there are currently certain countries which are on the upswing and buy Art from artists from their own countries or at least from their heritage - i.e. American born Asian with Chinese heritage and language skills

- it is helpful to create a certain kind of artistic persona and personality about yourself - have pink hair, dress and talk weird - many artists suceed without it, but quite a few create themselves into some kind of surreal artist personality - you are more marketable then

- get into contact with foundations, big gallery owners, art critics and rich art collectors via smart networking - those are the people you have to impress - sometimes it is enough to have the support of one person within those 4

- some artists became masters of self-promotion for example painters doing scandalous performance art - one girl I met did a masturbation performance art in front of the mayor and other dignitaries. She later started to sell her paintings quite well.

While you may make it otherwise, the small likelihood of success is even more diminished if you do not adhere to the above mentioned rules. Art is just a business and even sticking to all the rules and being an highly creative extremely talented person is not even close a guarantee for success. On the other hand you should definitely try and be one, but also consider planning ahead if it does not work out.

Have a STEM degree or international accounting/finance degree in addition to that. A good trade is nowadays a valid career option too, since more and more jobs will be disappearing. Or be financially independent via some kind of business.

Hey Zelcorpion,

thanks a lot for the info!

(05-30-2014 10:14 AM)Zelcorpion Wrote:  quite a few create themselves into some kind of surreal artist personality

I'd love to do that lol.

But yeah, I work in a different field, but I've always been into art and want to focus more on it on the side in the nearer future. I actually like both, the art aspect and the sales / marketing / branding aspect. In my current career I kind of made a name for myself and have been featured in magazines etc. quite often, so the whole process of selling myself as a character comes quite naturally to me. For my art endeavours I will be using a pen name though.

I most definitely won't rely on art to pay my bills in the nearer future, tho.
05-30-2014 10:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Becoming an artist? - Ice - 05-30-2014, 08:06 AM
RE: Becoming an artist? - jamaicabound - 05-30-2014, 10:08 AM
RE: Becoming an artist? - Ice - 05-30-2014, 10:28 AM
RE: Becoming an artist? - Ice - 05-30-2014 10:50 AM
RE: Becoming an artist? - LaCobra - 05-30-2014, 10:38 AM
RE: Becoming an artist? - Ice - 05-30-2014, 11:08 AM
RE: Becoming an artist? - ddjembe mutombo - 05-30-2014, 10:43 AM
RE: Becoming an artist? - Ice - 05-30-2014, 11:02 AM
RE: Becoming an artist? - LaCobra - 05-30-2014, 12:41 PM