I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

The Frequent Traveller Thread - Perks, points, and deals for beginners and experts
Global Entry Offline
Alpha Male
Gold Member

RE: The Frequent Traveller Thread - Perks, points, and deals for beginners and experts
Sorry, Getdown, but this is misleading. BA charges significant fuel surcharges on transatlantic flights, for which its best to transfer Avios 1:1 to Iberia. But for the short haul flights on Cathay, AA, USA, etc, they charge quite low fuel surcharges. I do this all the time. I've recently flown on award flights without significant or any fuel surcharges between HKG and Bangkok, Phnom Peng, Penang, Kuala Lumpur and Singapore. Fuel surcharges plus taxes and fees on none of these flights exceeded 35 per ticket, which is a very minor cost compared to the value of the award ticket.

And as you've allowed, short flights on IB, AA, USA, and BA (of course) have zero fuel surcharges.

Please make sure of the accuracy of your information before making a blanket statement like you've made. It can mislead players to take an action like transferring points or applying for a non-optimal credit card.

(10-07-2014 10:04 AM)getdownonit Wrote:  
(10-05-2014 11:20 PM)Global Entry Wrote:  If you've a short trip coming up that you want to book, in Europe, the US or in Asia, it could make a lot of sense to do a limited purchase of British Airways avios.

Right now there is a bonus on Avios, so they are giving an extra 20 percent free on a purchase. With the bonus, it comes out to 2.37c/avios. I would't go buying them to stockpile at that price (I'd rather get them from one of their several credit card or hotel transfer partners - British Airways Executive Club partners with American Express Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards, and Starwood Preferred Guest, so there are many ways to rack up British Airways Avios.). That being said, if you've a short but expensive flight coming up, this could be a real savings.

By way of example, a flight from NYC to Montreal is pricing out one way, last minute at 533 dollars. But if you booked with avios, that would only be 4500 avios (which is the required redemption for flights less than 650 miles in economy) to redeem to fly on a BA partner such as US Airways or American (I think AA is the metal on this route, not USA). At. 2.37c/avios, that gives a price of 105USD plus a 5 dollar surcharge, which is a huge savings over the cash ticket. This is an extreme example, but saving half or more using Avios isn't uncommon at all on short haul flights. I'll be using my avios to fly my gal and I from HKG to Siem Reap later this month, and the tickets will be 30000 avios all in roundtrip, rather than over USD 1000. Not quite the same value, but a good deal given what it costs me typically to obtain the avios in the first place. They are really the best currency for short flights assuming you have a partner of theirs nearby, and all of these partner flights in OneWorld (but not Alaska, which is their non-oneworld partner, with Aer Lingus) are bookable directly through the BA website.

This would cover, just by way of example, American flights to the caribbean, BA flights from England to many western european destinations, Finnair flights from Finland to many places in Northern Europe, Malaysian Air flights from KL around SE asia, and Dragon Air/Cathay flights out of HK around China and SE asia, among others.

A major drawback to avios is that BA charges hefty fuel surcharges on award tix. You can still use the avios for partner airlines like American or USAir without being charged the bogus fuel surcharge though.

Supposedly it's possible to transfer BA Avios to Iberia, as they're part of the same corporation and use the same FF program, since IB charges much less in fuel charges, if at all for certain flights. I've never tried this myself, since IB website is terrible and partner awards MUST be round trip, but it shouldn't be too difficult if you have an account with either airline program.

I've referral links for most credit cards, PM me for them & thanks if you use them
Strip away judeo-christian ethics ingraining sex is dirty/bad & the idea we're taking advantage of these girls disintegrates. Once you've lost that ethical quandary (which it isn't outside religion) then they've no reason to play the victim, you've no reason to feel the rogue. The interaction is to their benefit.
Frequent Travs
Phils SZ China
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2014 01:05 PM by Global Entry.)
10-07-2014 01:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
My take on this stuff.... - elcidcampeador - 07-23-2014, 11:26 AM
hi there - username - 07-24-2014, 09:33 PM
Title - username - 08-19-2014, 07:11 PM
CX HKG to SLC First Class - Global Entry - 09-17-2014, 10:27 PM
RE: The Frequent Traveller Thread - Perks, points, and deals for beginners and experts - Global Entry - 10-07-2014 01:03 PM
Interesting tactic - MichaelCorleone - 12-30-2014, 09:30 PM
Points are for suckers - elcidcampeador - 05-27-2015, 10:31 PM
Mendoza bound! - elcidcampeador - 07-27-2015, 02:47 PM
The Frequent Traveller Thread - Armogan - 03-20-2016, 10:29 PM
RE - BallsDeep - 01-16-2017, 04:42 PM
RE: The Frequent Traveller Thread - Chase - 03-29-2017, 05:00 AM
RE: The Frequent Traveller Thread - Chase - 03-31-2017, 06:33 AM
RE: The Frequent Traveller Thread - Chase - 03-31-2017, 09:07 AM
Mileage Runs - DCBoss - 11-04-2017, 02:02 PM
RE: The Frequent Traveller Thread - Jetset - 05-31-2018, 10:30 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Best careers to allow a lifestyle of frequent travel? forgottenowl 23 1,911 07-20-2019 02:36 PM
Last Post: jcrew247
  Overseas traveller women to usa nampa1234 0 584 05-14-2019 04:37 PM
Last Post: nampa1234
  Cheap Airfare and Deals Thread Sourcecode 29 19,257 04-19-2019 11:28 AM
Last Post: Tinder Scientist