Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

I hate the corporate world, especially in IT
TravelerKai Offline
Peacock
Gold Member

RE: I hate the corporate world, especially in IT
(07-22-2014 10:07 AM)Kaii Wrote:  This will be a rant. I work for a large bank doing IT work. I am supposed to be a senior level engineer with SCCM (Systems Center Configuration Manager for the geeks here). However, instead of doing cool engineer work like designing application virtualization, or zero-touch imaging or anything related to the level I am supposed to be working at, they have me doing bullshit busy work and helpdesk level shit.

It is unbelievable to me how management can be in IT and know nothing about technology. Or, the amount of whiny fucking people you have to work with. Of course, there are plenty of women here who also don't do anything and complain all the time.

I have been in the industry for a while and worked my way up from call center bitch to engineer. It's becoming more and clearer to me that the only way I will ever be happy is to work for myself, or a company that gives me freedom in my schedule and my workload.

I would love to quit and just do my own thing, however, like most of us, I have financially obligations.

Have any of you been in this situation? How did you handle it?

I really just want to feel free.

Thanks for reading and any advice would be great.

I am an IT consultant and started out more or less exactly like you did. I work primarily with Microsoft and VMware stuff.

I will tell you the same thing a CCIE, that owned a million dollar house, told me years ago.

You have to be willing to leave.

There are no promotions in IT. There are no raises and bonuses in IT. Especially OPEX areas like support, infrastructure, networking, etc.

You need to adopt a "Fuck You, Pay Me." attitude.

If you want to get out of the helpdesk? Get certs and quit. Want to get out of Jr. Administrator or Admin level? Quit. Want to stop being an engineer? Wait 5 years and then quit. Want to stop being an Architect or Consultant and jump to the C Suite or director level? Get a MBA and then quit.

That is your natural corporate progression in Information Technology.

All that said, I am trying to make the jump into being location independent and live abroad or split time between the US and China. Perhaps trade, construction, or other things between China and Africa will yield great opportunities to guys in our age group.

If you or others on RVF are interested in things like this (I have already spoken to a handful already about this stuff), lets keep in touch over PMs and perhaps we can someday find some niche that alot of us can share into.

Eventually IT will start culling more and more jobs, not because of Indians with HB1s or too much competition, but because the technology itself may eventually render these jobs useless. I am already seeing the wall myself. The cloud is not going anywhere and will make a bigger come back for round 2, once the storage gets much smaller and cheaper. Can you imagine a crystal rock storing terabytes without needing lots of cold air to keep cool? Datacenter guys might be okay in the next five years, but what about in 10 years?

Think about that.

Dating Guide for Mainland China Datasheet
TravelerKai's Martial Arts Datasheet
1 John 4:20 - If anyone says, I love God, and hates (detests, abominates) his brother [in Christ], he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, Whom he has not seen.
07-22-2014 10:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 28 users Like TravelerKai's post:
JustJay, pants, Brisey, DJ-Matt, Kaii, CrackerDaddy, Dragonstone, Vacancier Permanent, Icarus, Bushido, SpiderKing, Benoit, The Beast1, General Stalin, Charlemagne In Sweatpants, Mentavious, RockHard, Clyde, cibo, brianmark, Gallego2006, Tytalus, coolion, chewyNY, JWLZG, duedue, Sketch, Vincent Chase

Messages In This Thread
RE: I hate the corporate world, especially in IT - TravelerKai - 07-22-2014 10:40 AM