Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

I hate the corporate world, especially in IT
Onto Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

RE: I hate the corporate world, especially in IT
(08-24-2014 02:26 PM)one-two Wrote:  
(08-21-2014 09:20 AM)americanInEurope Wrote:  Just to explain a little further, when I say freelance I don't mean those odesk or elance websites. I mean actually hitting the job boards, applying like you would normally, and when they ask you to sign your life away for a permanent role, tell them you strictly want CONTRACT. 1099, W2, corp-to-corp contracts. You can go as deep as you want with this, from W2 which gives you all the benefits of a normal employee but only short term, to 1099 which means you get ALL your money up front and it's up to you to sort out taxes and shit. Corp-to-Corp is a little different but similar to 1099.

That is interesting. Are there any disadvantages to doing that? For example, can you still take advantage of the company 401k match?. I'm just wondering why more people don't do that. Also, are most companies open to this idea?

Most companies are not open to people working remotely, at least for what I do. You basically have to either develop an in-demand skill that will allow it to happen, or find a company that's having a hard time attracting top talent for less money, and then offer yourself as a telecommuter. Another avenue would be to get yourself into an onsite position where you are really needed and there is no backup, then tell them you have decided to travel but will be happy to telecommute. That's a toin-coss to what they will do.

AmericanInEurope's approach to going through all the steps of the interview process to getting an offer and then pulling out the surprise telecommuting demand is interesting. I would like to know if anyone has successfully done this also.

Could work if you've wowed them enough. Of course that's also dependent on you being local to come in for the onsite interview, unless you just pull it after the phone screen.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2016 09:37 PM by Onto.)
08-24-2014 03:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: I hate the corporate world, especially in IT - Onto - 08-24-2014 03:40 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How glamorous is the corporate world really? tugofpeace 48 7,195 08-23-2019 08:20 AM
Last Post: pros80
  The Corporate Life Lounge - career advice, stories, game etc. Dalaran1991 3 1,787 10-09-2018 08:02 AM
Last Post: Built to Fade
  [Making Money]  A Newbie’s guide to Navigating the Corporate Finance Environment - Part III Cobra 7 3,736 07-31-2018 03:22 PM
Last Post: Cobra