Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Bitter non-entity says men are the problem with Silicon Valley
Grange Offline
Kingfisher

RE: Bitter non-entity says men are the problem with Silicon Valley
(12-10-2014 02:34 PM)Sp5 Wrote:  
(12-10-2014 02:02 PM)Grange Wrote:  
(12-10-2014 07:50 AM)placer Wrote:  I have looked at and read some of the articles at Model View Culture. Shanley claims it's profitable, but I have my doubts.

It's a low-budget act. As just one example: Instead of licensing professional fonts from a font foundry, it uses free Google webfonts. The site doesn't even bother hosting them; they just point to Google's copy of the fonts. That's something a third-rate Wordpress blog would do, not a professional web magazine.

The site has no ads and its business model is selling $50 annual subscriptions. Anyone can claim they have zillions of subscribers, but its Alexa ranking is well above 100,000, which is hardly a popular site. RooshVForum.com, as a point of comparison, is in the top 20,000.

I could believe 1000 subscribers worldwide, many among tech or feminist journalists, grossing $50,000. Ballparking the hosting/maintenance/misc expenses she could be netting $40,000. This is a profit in the accounting sense.

In the economic sense, she's probably losing money because she could almost certainly be netting more than $40,000 doing something else in the tech industry.

But if she had that much economic understanding she wouldn't be criticizing VC's as much as she does.

Did you catch the part in Milo's profile of her that she's reportedly living with a white male venture capitalist from inherited money?

Watching her melt down and lock her Twitter was like the first time I saw this when I was six years old:

None of the other stuff I read about her mentioned it but Milo could easily have gotten that from interviewees. Too perfect, really. I wonder what he thinks of her work.

If civilization had been left in female hands we would still be living in grass huts. - Camille Paglia
12-10-2014 02:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bitter non-entity says men are the problem with Silicon Valley - Grange - 12-10-2014 02:50 PM