Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Making Money Any advice for someone setting up their own web design company
spizzy Offline
Pigeon
Silver Member

Any advice for someone setting up their own web design company
What's up guys.

I just signed up to this website after lurking for a couple months. I am a 3rd year Computer Science student doing a masters degree and want to start my own web design business so I can achieve location independence through passive income.

The web related technologies I have experience with are HTML, CSS (basic, my design skills are terrible - i normally code into a template), PHP, SQL, JSON, XML and very little JS. I've worked with bootstrap before which is what I think would work best for business websites.

The questions I have:
-Would it be better to create a business solution (e.g. inventory system, scheduling system, other management systems) and then sell this to individual businesses for $x/month building passive income through a subscription model OR building websites and charging hosting fees monthly (as well as design fees).

-Assuming I do the latter, should I sell myself as a one man team (i.e. myname.com) or should I create a company (mywebdesigncompany.com) and act like a professional corporation when it's just really me running everything alone.

-What's the best way to find clients -> I was thinking of using google dorks to find people running websites with horrendous themes/frameworks and offering to sort them out. Once I've done this 4-5 times to build a portfolio then look for clients offline.

Any other tips from people in the field (or similar) are greatly appreciated!

Thanks
03-22-2015 11:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Any advice for someone setting up their own web design company - spizzy - 03-22-2015 11:27 AM