Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Libertarianism: Its Merits & Demerits
Libertas Offline
Crow
Gold Member

Libertarianism: Its Merits & Demerits
Surprisingly, I haven't noticed a general thread to discuss libertarianism as a worldview and philosophy. Since a good number of us are or originated as libertarians, I thought that this thread would be appropriate. If it should be moved to the Knowledge section, feel free to do so.

Like I mentioned before, I've been on both sides of the fence of this philosophy. In my early 20's I was a full-blown AnCap, but then I started to notice a few limitations that perhaps dulled my enthusiasm. I don't like labeling myself but nowadays I would more or less consider myself a sort of nationalist libertarian-leaning guy, even though that might be a bit of a contradiction.

Wanted to respond to zombiejimmorrison's post here because it's going far off topic in the other thread:

(04-21-2015 09:30 AM)zombiejimmorrison Wrote:  If we have a genuinely free society and free association without government repercussions. Why would it matter where you come from, America was built on migrants from all over Europe and China. A nation, state or government, however its called is just a group of individuals at the top with the legal right to initiate force while simultaneously being banned for everyone else. "Natural law of mankind" what does that mean exactly, slavery was considered a natural law of nature at one point and now its considered immoral. Everything a human thinks would come from our human nature.

What libertarianism (taken to its logical end) ignores is that a free society doesn't originate in a vacuum. Some people might like to be self-interested automatons but some other people might have very different ideas. You can't expect everyone to have libertarian values and if their values come to the fore, your libertarian society will be upended.

Even in our own relatively libertarian country, there were strong cultural norms that were very much at odds with libertarian values - Jim Crow being perhaps the foremost and most ugly example. Of course much of this was admittedly done via state action as libertarians rightly note, but I think that mentality went far beyond state mandates and was more esoteric.

Were it not for state action and public accommodations say, could or could not discriminate at their choice, would business owners circa 1900 serve blacks? I suspect a few would, but many more would probably simply not care about the profit motive and be more motivated by cultural norms and values that said blacks were inferior.

Quote:You say libertarians think everything is reduced down to economics and nothing matters but people working like machines without any other hobbies or goals. Sounds no different to the current world, without participating in an economy you'll be living by yourself in the middle of no where, regardless of social system.

Marxists are the one obsessed with class and the proletariat. Libertarians as far I know just don't want to be taxed and have their property stolen by other people.

Of course you can't participate in social life without participating in the economy, but there are more things to social life than an economy. Libertarians ignore those things - culture, demography, all of that matters.

Quote:This sounds a little absurd, libertarianism is against the initiation of force and violation of property right and both are considered immoral.

Marxism is absolute social engineering and stealing from people. The initiation of force is a tenant and private property rights don't exist

It does, but take a look at it this way. Both libertarianism and Marxism have a few basic core assumptions. They both believe fervently in egalitarianism and both have a distinctly materialistic worldview. Both essentially assume that economy is the center of man's journey on Earth and shapes much, or all of his thinking - they just have diametrically opposite prescriptions and values in line with these assumptions.

They also both have a sort of eschatological interpretation of mankind. In libertarianism, history ends with a free market paradise of economic opportunity. In Marxism, where this is obviously far more visible - the end game is a worker's paradise of economic equality.

It's been said by a few that libertarianism is basically just the polar opposite of Marxism on the right.

Anyway, these are just a few of my observations on some of the ideology's shortcomings (in my opinion) and origins/prescriptions. Would be interested in hearing others' views on it.

Read my Latest at Return of Kings: 11 Lessons in Leadership from Julius Caesar
My Blog | Twitter
04-21-2015 12:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Libertarianism: Its Merits & Demerits - Libertas - 04-21-2015 12:58 PM