Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

What techniques do you guys use to get rid of anxiety or depression without meds?
Indy Offline
Sparrow

RE: What techniques do you guys use to get rid of anxiety or depression without meds?
I'm twice diagnosed as manic (commonly known as bi-polar two). My "ups" last a few days and my "downs" last much longer -- usually a week or so. I'm usually "even" for two-three weeks in-between but occasionally slip between high/low without warning. I've tried medicine twice with no noticeable improvement, only side effects.

When I'm in the low's, I specifically:

- Force myself to at least do mild exercise.
- Force myself to socialize, even if over text or calling up my mom to say hello.
- Get outside in the sun (even moved to a sunnier and warmer climate to improve my mood).
- I don't try and over-correct my current mood (outside of what I do above). If I'm down, I force myself in to some activities (so I don't stay in bed for a week) but often embrace my stasis by reading or learning new technologies and taking it easy and focusing on myself.
- Limit or eliminate alcohol and drug consumption -- if not stop all together. Alcohol is a depressant (after initial highs). I used to drink alcohol during highs which sent me in to lows.
- Force yourself in to some type of structure (e.g. specific bed time, work schedule, workout routine, proper diet).
- I approach things logically and ignore my "feelings" the best I can -- which helps me keep my shit together. I may not be in the "mood" to do some things and bitch all along the way, but keep focused.
- Do what you can to tailor your life to accommodate and allow for the downs (flexibility in work schedule, relationships, etc.).

Obviously what works for me may not work for you depending on exact conditions and diagnosis.

EDIT: If you're currently on the meds, consult your prescribing physician and let him aid you in gradually reducing your dosage.
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2016 09:50 PM by Indy.)
02-08-2016 09:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Indy's post:
RonPaulStateOfMind, Kaligula

Messages In This Thread
RE: What techniques do you guys use to get rid of anxiety or depression without meds? - Indy - 02-08-2016 09:47 PM