Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Is HIIT effective when done on an elliptical runner?
ElFlaco Away
Kingfisher
Gold Member

RE: Is HIIT effective when done on an elliptical runner?
Another variation on this: run a steep 60-second hill outdoors. With a heartrate monitor, I could reach max heartrate easier this way than with 200m sprints on the track. Jog down, repeat. Try to beat your time or heartrate on each rep.

When I lived in a tall building, I used to run up 16 flights of stairs. That's a short, intense workout, too. Leaves your throat dry, though.

The New York Times recently wrote about research comparing 1-minute of intense cardio (in 3 bouts of 20 seconds) to 45 minutes at an easy pace, finding similar results with each regimen. That's good news for anyone who finds distance running boring.
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/04/27...tion/?_r=0

I've recently adapted this to the elliptical trainer. Increase the resistance and go like crazy for 20 seconds. Feels like running through mud. In just a few weeks, it's already gotten easier.
05-30-2016 10:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is HIIT effective when done on an elliptical runner? - ElFlaco - 05-30-2016 10:21 AM