Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor is August 26th 2017
H1N1 Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

RE: Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor is August 26th 2017
(08-24-2017 01:54 PM)Handsome Creepy Eel Wrote:  Why would anyone get (seriously) hurt? The whole point of boxing gloves and boxing as a sport is that you can knock someone out without causing massive / permanent damage.

This is not entirely correct. A significant part of the point of boxing gloves is to protect a fighter's hands, and to encourage fighters to throw more punches to make the sport more crowd pleasing.

I don't know how familiar you are with the sport, and I hope I'm not teaching you to such eggs here, but a brand new pair of 8oz gloves are pretty hard and unforgiving - they can confer tremendous concussive force to a man's head, whilst protecting a fighter's hands. Fighters sometimes take 50 scoring punches or more over the course of a single round. The damage this can do is significant, and boxing as a sport requires a great many things that are of limited value in MMA, such as head movement, shoulder rolls, close range defense against stinging combinations, etc etc.

McGregor is a tough guy, and I suspect he'll be fine, but the doctors make a perfectly legitimate point. With no head movement, or defense to speak of, the most likely outcome is that McGregor will take tremendous punishment for the short time the fight is allowed to continue. This really could be dangerous. Mayweather is not the pitty pat puncher many would make him out to be, he has been disrespected pretty seriously by McGregor, and he is a cold dude who will take pleasure in hurting McGregor.
08-24-2017 02:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 10 users Like H1N1's post:
MY DETROIT PLAYAS, Handsome Creepy Eel, C-Note, arafat scarf, booshala, CaptainChardonnay, Jvramerys, Matrixdude, Beyond Borders, roberto

Messages In This Thread
RE: Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor is August 26th 2017 - H1N1 - 08-24-2017 02:43 PM