Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Why is sales so hard?
Cobra Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

RE: Why is sales so hard?
I could write a data sheet on this but I'll start here. This is also going to be a macro level post for those that are serious about sales. I'm not going to cover mechanics too much, like objections, elevator pitches, dealing with gatekeepers etc. The post is for those that are serious about sales and see it as a career in which they can make lots of $$. Black Knight did a good job covering some aspects that I may not.

Caveat: I sell mid to higher level consulting services. So this may not apply entirely to all industries. However, there should be sufficient overlap.

Attitude : Your attitude in how you approach a sales job has to be "fun." You should be aiming to walk around your office like you have the biggest dick in the place. If you are not aiming for this, and only seeing this as a "job," do yourself a favor and don't read further.

Consistency that is driven by Faith: Let's separate "Account Management" from "Business Development." There are many people in my industry and others that get sick and tired of finding new clients and developing them. So they choose to opt out of it and turn to managing accounts for clients who provide business that someone else brought in. You can do this forever but it doesn't equate to the grit and the reward that Business Development provides. Yet, with that reward comes lots of risk. There will be months where you don't bring in new clients and your existing ones are not giving you business. You need to hang on and hang tight. Find new clients and have faith in YOURSELF. No one is going to be able to motivate you like you can. While you don't need to slog it out every single day if business is good, you sure as hell do when business is bad.

Mechanics: Come in at 7, plan your calls better and take time to carry out that plan efficiently, instead of dicking around all day and doing the sourcing and calling for each contact all day. You should take 1 - 2 hours each fucking day to plan your calls and emails the next day. If you don't your book of business will die a slow death. This is fine but then you're in a hole you need to dig out of and you better dig out of it. If you are there, see "Digging yourself out of a hole" section below.

Appearance: YOU are going to be one of the top sales people in the company. Dress like it. Wear a jacket and/or a tie too if you think it helps. My pants are fitted and my jackets are fitted. I wear pocket squares every day. I even had the company marketing department make pocket squares with my company logo and my name on it. I didn't give these to clients because I thought that was gay.

Relationships: When you're selling complex services or products especially, your relationships drive those sales. I have key clients that I take out for a drink and have a good time at least once a quarter. You need to build a pipeline where they are calling you for business eventually. Not slog away until you're 60 and make cold calls.

Digging yourself out of a hole: THE single most relevant part of why sales is HARD as in the theme of this thread. Most people dig the hole because they don't do a combination of what I prescribed above. Then they are in a hole. There are not many sales people that were always consistent in doing everything I mentioned above. They learned from their mistakes. HOW? They fell into a deep hole and dug themselves out. That takes grit, courage and faith. You have to be able to do this, especially when you have no idea in hell where your next order or sale will come from. The reason sales is so hard is because people refuse to put that faith in themselves that they can do this.

I struggle with the faith aspect every day because getting into sales means that you are not building a skillset somewhere else. If you think about this too much, you will start to suck.

I'm done for now but happy to provide detail on my own journey. I have provided some tips in my finance data sheets in my signature as well. Part 3 is a lot more sales specific if anyone wants to peruse.

Source: I went from Accounting/Finance to selling consulting services in the field. I thought my network would help but didn't make a dollar of revenue from anyone in my network until year 2. Until then, I used what I could to cold call, network and market myself. 4 years later, I own part of the company I work for and am one of its top sales people. I'm looked upon to train others that are struggling and have helped many people adjust their sales process and succeed. I'm happy to provide any help to those that seek it genuinely.

Spittin' Cobra - A Podcast
Accounting Career Data Sheet |Finance datasheets- Part I /Part II/Part III | 5 Things To Do Before You Lose Your Job
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2018 06:15 PM by Cobra.)
08-15-2018 06:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 8 users Like Cobra's post:
Kid Twist, BlastbeatCasanova, Super_Fire, Baphomet, tylerburden, RichieP, Ski pro, Zeroblack

Messages In This Thread
Why is sales so hard? - Vladimir Poontang - 08-12-2018, 12:15 PM
RE: Why is sales so hard? - Menzilci - 08-12-2018, 12:47 PM
RE: Why is sales so hard? - Truth Tiger - 08-12-2018, 12:49 PM
RE: Why is sales so hard? - Repo - 08-12-2018, 12:51 PM
RE: Why is sales so hard? - SpursFan741 - 08-12-2018, 01:40 PM
RE: Why is sales so hard? - Mage - 08-12-2018, 02:37 PM
RE: Why is sales so hard? - Kona - 08-12-2018, 11:07 PM
RE: Why is sales so hard? - Suits - 08-12-2018, 11:11 PM
RE: Why is sales so hard? - Aviel - 08-12-2018, 11:37 PM
RE: Why is sales so hard? - jordypip23 - 08-13-2018, 12:25 AM
RE: Why is sales so hard? - wi30 - 08-13-2018, 12:34 AM