I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Online
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Irishman, sounds like you have some solid plans figured out, do you know when you'll be arriving in Alberta?

I'm not familiar with the Linkedin site, but all I can really say to any guy like you who is moving to Western Canada to work in the oil and gas industries is that you will ALWAYS get better responses once you are actually in province and able to physically meet someone for an interview.

Also, good to hear that you have a long term plan, that's exactly what I did when I moved out in 07' to go to school (I finished that 3-4 year plan last year, need a new one!) and I accomplished all of my goals, and more (paid off all debt, bought property, travel, invest, help family, etc).

Another thing all guys should remember, BE PATIENT, don't expect to land a sweet gig that pays 6 figures and be working for a company that'll fly you in from abroad right away. You may start at the bottom, working with high school drop outs and ex-cons, but if you work hard and impress the right people, you should be able to rise up into a better position easily, especially with your education.

As I've said in other posts, the bar is pretty low here, if your supervisors see that you can handle the job, show up on time, don't fuck the dog too much (everyone does a bit, part of the job!), they'll give you more responsibilities.

Sounds like you've got your head screwed on right, you're right not to want to buy a big huge house in Calgary (you should see the suburban sprawl in that city, like a see of enormous houses from the airport to the city), but I wouldn't be too quick to write off settling in Alberta, once you get here, you may just like it, I know quite a few guys from the UK and Ireland who immigrated and say they love it there, wide open spaces, mountains, etc.

Good luck homie and as we say in Canada, KEEP YOUR STICK ON THE ICE!
02-13-2012 09:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 02-13-2012 09:34 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM