I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

The Bitcoin (BTC) thread
JayJuanGee Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: The Bitcoin thread
Hey Jamaicabound:

Below, I attempt to respond to your various points:

(09-19-2014 06:22 PM)jamaicabound Wrote:  Oh wow, I hadn't realized prices had dropped that low, I'm gonna pick some up if it's still below $300. I hate buying stuff when prices are low as I feel I have less buying power though hoarding most of my BTC.

I gather that you mean that you will buy more BTC so long as BTC prices are in the $300s, rather than your statement of “below $300,” which would be quite a stretch, if prices were to get that low any time in the near future.

I can relate to your mixed feelings about the lowering of BTC prices. Even though lower BTC prices indicate a great buying opportunity in the moment, the lower BTC prices also tend to cause a bit of trepidation regarding the lowering value of a guy’s whole BTC holdings.

My most recent buy was at $380 - .. Yet buying anywhere in the current range is probably NOT a bad thing… and seems to be a pretty decent price (all relatively speaking, of course).

(09-19-2014 06:22 PM)jamaicabound Wrote:  When I first started buying I did my buying on bitlocal or through craigslist but lately I use Coinbase as well, just so much easier and less hassle. I never realized they had alarms so thanks for mentioning that, I'll have to start using those.

Yeah, you may be able to find cheaper BTC prices through some of these other avenues and you also may be able to avoid some of the KNC (know your customer) requirements of entities, such as Coinbase, but surely it does seem to be a hassle to attempt to track down these ad hoc purchases or selling of BTC through other services when, instead through Coinbase, you can monitor BTC price fluctuations and attempt to buy exactly on the dips (to the extent that you perceive such dips to make any kind of difference to the value of your total BTC holdings).

Regarding alarms:
I think that guys do a variety of things, if they know about them. I am NOT referring to any Coinbase alarms because to my knowledge Coinbase does NOT have any such alarms.

I have a couple of alarms that I use on my Iphone (probably android phones have some variation of this and maybe even more options). On the IPhone, Bitcoin Ticker has some pretty decent alarm settings and also ZeroBlock.

When I am sleeping, however, I cannot really rely too well on the Iphone app alarms, because if I turn the fricken phone on silent, then I do NOT really have a way for those alarms to alert me in a way that will wake me up. So, instead, I use the alarms on my computer on this website. https://bitcoinwisdom.com/markets/bitstamp/btcusd

These alarms have tended to work pretty well, and I can set them pretty loud. I think once or twice they have failed to go off, so probably it would be prudent to verify or even to reload the pages and then to verify the settings, during occasions that a guy may be really concerned about NOT missing a certain price dip or a certain price rise.

Probably, all of the alarms that I use do NOT cure all of my concerns, but they are the best that I found so far.

(09-19-2014 06:22 PM)jamaicabound Wrote:  Just curious, what are your feelings about bitcoin and the future or even current price? A year ago I was super excited and rah rah bitcoins, obviously we saw prices explode, bitcoins were the hot topic in the media, etc. Then it seemed like Bitcoin prices leveled out around $600 and kinda found a base. Granted there will be dips but it kind of concerns me this could be a new floor in the $300 range where as I thought we would sit around $600 for a while and slowly grow.

I have gone through various evolutions too regarding my predictions and my assessment of BTC price direction(s)… Of course a lot of these kinds of predictions are based on my assessments of probabilities, and what I view to be going on and various incentives that may exist for other BTC traders to move BTC prices in one direction or another.

Between about December 2013 and April 2014, I kept considering that BTC prices were going to settle in the mid-$800s area.. and that BTC prices would float in that range for quite some time before shooting up – at least past $2,000. In retrospect, that viewpoint seems a little bit too optimistic (especially given what has happened in the interim), but surely, we only know what we know, and even our knowledge probably remains quite incomplete – unless we happen to hold a sufficient quantity of BTC and/or fiat in order to know that we can push BTC prices in one direction or another in order to get a better feelings for elasticity of BTC prices yet even some of the big whales likely have difficulties knowing over a longer period of time whether they want to take chances to push BTC prices in one direction or another.. because they may have some uncertainties about what other whales are going to do.

I really remain a little bit unclear about what the fuck.. in terms of the price staying within a certain range for extended periods… Like I said, I did NOT really believe that BTC prices were stable under the mid-$800s, but really BTC prices have largely been almost completely below the $700s since the beginning of February 2014.

In May and June 2014, my thoughts were that of an imminent BTC price bubble percolating, and in early June when the weekly MACD turned green – around upper $500s and BTC prices progressed into the upper $600s, I pretty much thought BTC prices were on their way up and likely never to dip below $550, ever again…. And I was thinking that it was a real possibility to reach lower $800s by the end of 2014.. and maybe new ATH of $3k to $5k by no later thn mid 2015. How wrong did I turn out to be? I was quite wrong about prices moving and staying above $550, and I am NOT sure whether I need to revise my anticipations regarding what may happen in the end of this year and into 2015… Really, I still remain a bit mystified about describing anything too specific and considering that anything that I am predicting or anticipating remains probabilities based on my current information (incomplete as that seem to remain).

Well, anyhow, based on my then viewpoint, between June and July 2014, I pretty much doubled my BTC portfolio holdings (bringing my BTC portfolio well above 100 BTC) .. which really seems to have caused greater stickiness in my average price per BTC (which causes much more difficulties for me to move my average price per BTC by buying more and to attempt to bring down my average price per BTC).

So anyhow, I made a lot of BTC purchases between $550-ish and $650-ish with my expectation that BTC prices were on their way up from that point… And really in retrospect this action seems silly because surely, if I had known better and been able to wait a little longer at least with some of the fiat that I had available, I could have probably purchased 20-ish more BTC with the same quantity of fiat at this week’s lower BTC prices.

I am still NOT too worried about my total BTC holdings or my total BTC package, and I believe that I have NOT overinvested in BTC since my total holdings of BTC remains below 10% of my quasi-liquid investments. And, even though my average price per BTC is currently at about $601 (including transaction fees), which is about 28.5% down if I would have sold at today’s highest price point of about $430, I remain optimistic about all of it

But, ultimately, FUCK!!!!... I did NOT really anticipate that BTC prices would go in this direction for well over two months (even though I am NOT totally shocked by the downward price trend happening and I have certain additional measures that I am prepared to take based on how all of these prices and market plays out in the coming months and potentially into early 2015).

Currently, I do tend to doubt that BTC prices can remain this low, in the lower $400s or even in the $300s for very long.. but please take my thoughts with a grain of salt because I had the same doubts about BTC prices staying in the $500s or even $600s for very long.. I thought that BTC prices were just too low and that it was going to have to go up into the $700s and then $800s and beyond sooner or later in order for some of the bigger investors to be able to really get some utility out of Bitcoin… and even to recoup some of their investment(s).

But having said all of that, it may be the case that the totality of the BTC infrastructure is NOT quite ready just yet for some forms of mass adoptions, which likely will come after the next BTC price wave. Really, if you think about it, at today’s BTC prices, BTC has a market cap of about $5.5billion, and that level of market cap is quite low in order to accomplish various large scale transactions and even very small to support the amount of infrastructure that has been built around BTC.

Additionally, the current BTC market cap is super small when you consider the humungous amount of computing power that has been assembled and developed to secure its network… gotta think whoaza with the kinds of computing numbers on the peer 2 peer network… again, WHOAZA…. .

Even these days, there seems to be sufficient BTC infrastructure in place to support at least $100 billion dollar market cap, and even a large market cap than that would NOT be unreasonable with the current BTC infrastructure – however, given some more building of the BTC infrastructure in 1 or 2 more years, there will likely be an easy capacity to handle between a $1 to $10 trillion dollar market cap. Some people may believe these numbers to be pie in the sky, and certainly I am NOT banking on them taking place, but these numbers are NOT really unreasonable – even though they are BIG.

Surely in the end, none of us can really be clear about whether BTC prices will follow such an optimistic and upward trajectory, or even if those kinds of numbers remain too pie in the sky to achieve at the current levels of adoption and even the total abilities of manipulation and politics and even incentive for large status quo institutions to spend to sabotage BTC… These outcomes remain ambiguous given some of the ways that people talk about BTC… seemingly filled with a lot of ignorance and misinformation.

Just to flesh out the impact of the Market cap numbers a little bit….. .. let’s just assume approximately 15 million BTC in circulation.

Accordingly, BTC prices would look like the below, at various market cap levels:

Market Cap BTC Price

$7.5 Billion = $500

$15 Billion = $1,000

$75 Billion = $5,000

$150 Billion = $10,000

$1.5 Trillion = $100,000

$7.5 Trillion = $500,000

I understand that these numbers seem totally outrageous, but really, if you think about how much investment is going into BTC, there remains considerable potential in the short term and in the medium term and in the long term for BTC to have upside potential and that is why some people have predicted $1million per BTC as being possible and within the potential cards.

With this kind of upside price potential, it is a little strange that a few more people would NOT at least invest a little bit of their fiat into such potential. and it is becoming easier and easier to invest into BTC.. and even easier to invest into BTC than it is to invest into the fricken stock market with some of these intermediaries contained within such stock market investment avenues.

As Brg444 and I already batted around in the posts from yesterday, there seem to be potential opening ups (such as Circle) for even greater ease for the masses to get into BTC… and these kinds of BTC investment avenues, such as Circle, could create considerable upsurge in BTC adoption and even avenues for really large quantities of money to get into BTC on a whim.

Currently existing exchanges seem to have a lof of downward manipulations of BTC prices that are seeming to take place through fairly low volume on the exchanges (and maybe even fake volume) on some of these exchanges that cause for considerable disincentives for people to ship large quantities of fiat to the current exchanges .. but it remains really easy for anybody to ship exchanges large quantities of BTC in order to continue to engage in BTC dumping behaviors. If some of these other BTC investment avenues open up to allow for easily and whimsically getting big money into BTC purchases, then that is going to really challenge the ability to downwardly attempt to manipulate BTC prices.

(09-19-2014 06:22 PM)jamaicabound Wrote:  Also just curious what your thoughts are about Bitcoins falling out of peoples minds, news stories, the media. Last year round Thanksgiving and Christmas time Bitcoin were the hottest new thing, mentioned in finance magazines, newspaper, tv, etc. Now you never hear about Bitcoins at all unless your actively engaged in using them. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing. I think its bad in that for Bitcoin to grow in popularity and value we need the masses, however I think its a good thing in the sense back last year alot of the attention was negative attention about the bitcoin sites stealing money or getting hacked. YOu saw all these news stories spreading misinformation about bitcoin as well as making it apppear to people who don't know about bitcoins that bitcoin is flawed when in reality it was the shitty exchanges that were flawed. Thats like saying scottrade stole a bunch of money from people so that means the stock market is a scam, no scottrad is simply a broker, as long as you use a legit broker its not a scam. Maybe bad analogy but basically the media was painting bitcoin as being flawed when in reality it was bad exchanges. Just curious your thoughts about the current value as well as future value and how you view btc not getting attention these days.

I understand what you are saying about negative BTC publicity in the press and there seems to be some need for mass adoption of BTC and there is likely some negative affects on the BTC adoption and price when various negative BTC stories are out there…. And even when there may seem to be a lack of BTC stories.

I am NOT really sure about if you are giving more weight to these mass media stories than they merit. Surely, you are right that the quantity of mass media stories seem to fluctuate, but I am NOT sure whether the quantity is that much lower these days as compared with November and December 2013 because even in current times, from time to time, there remain some pretty juicy and good and positive BTC stories that are hitting the mainstream press.

Personally, I am thinking that more weight needs to be given to the impact of BTC investment vehicles that are going to allow the masses to easily get into BTC that will hamper various aspects of the downward price manipulations (like potentially the Circle thing mentioned above), and when BTC prices begin to rise again, then the herds of people will likely follow along with the press and the hype and VIOLA.. another BTC bubble.

Maybe I am giving too much short-shrift to this media angle that you brought up, but I do tend to think that media attention follows BTC price movement and there do seem to be some mechanisms that will be coming into place in the BTC space (such as Circle and potentially more ETFs including COIN) that is going to make it more difficult for BTC prices to be manipulated downward on the exchanges (though downward BTC price manipulation is going to continue to occur and there will continue to be incentives to downwardly manipulate BTC prices on an ongoing basis).

Hopefully, my long-ass response here addressed most of what you were asking…. And surely some other guys in this thread may have perspectives that vary from mine (well, I am quite confident that there are several RVF guys that have different perspectives than me, seems part of the RVF fabric… Laugh )
09-20-2014 07:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes JayJuanGee's post:
mymotivation

Messages In This Thread
The Bitcoin (BTC) thread - pants - 03-08-2013, 11:32 AM
RE: The Bitcoin thread - Olav - 12-03-2017, 02:53 PM
RE: The Bitcoin thread - JayJuanGee - 12-03-2017, 02:59 PM
RE: The Bitcoin thread - Bill Brasky - 06-25-2017, 02:19 AM
RE: The Bitcoin thread - JayJuanGee - 06-25-2017, 05:03 AM
RE: The Bitcoin thread - Bill Brasky - 06-26-2017, 09:43 AM
RE: The Bitcoin thread - JayJuanGee - 06-26-2017, 10:05 AM