I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Russian language: no more bullshit
Gopnik Offline
Chubby Chaser
Gold Member

RE: Russian language: no more bullshit
(04-01-2016 06:30 PM)Kissinger2014 Wrote:  
(03-01-2016 08:12 AM)The Ligurian Wrote:  I recently read a book about the Russian language that I can highly recommend to learners of the language. 'The Russian Word's Worth' is a huge 450 pages of Russian phrases, slang, idioms and insights into Russian life you will not find so well laid out and accessible in any other book. The author moved to the USSR from the States in the late 70's and has lived in Moscow ever since working as a translator and journalist. This book is a compendium of much of her knowledge.

The book contains hundreds of phrases and words that you would be hard pressed to find the meaning of anywhere else. How many of us intermediate learners even know the meaning of such phrases as девушка с приветом or кольбаситься or чесать языком or мы будем в шоколаде? Well I didn't anyway. These are the kind of phrases that will take your Russian from text book or classroom language and onto a more natural way of speaking and understanding. It's amazing how when you learn a new idiom you suddenly hear it popping up in songs and films.

The best thing about the book is that it is written not in a text book form listing words in lists, but rather as a series of experiences from the author's life in Moscow which makes it engaging and pleasurable to dive into at random points and find nuggets of information to be extracted and used. I keep it by my bed and last thing at night have a read.

Highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/Russian-Words-Wort...%27s+worth

So I ordered this book off Amazon. It is interesting, filled with etymological explanations of a variety of phrases and words. And as previously mentioned, it is written as a quasi-memoir of an expat living in Moscow.

But...I found it to be dealing with phrases and words that were beyond my level. This book is not for the beginner or even intermediate level student. I would suggest it only for advanced level guys trying to reach close to native fluency. I've put it on my bookshelf, and see myself picking it up again in maybe a year or two.

I'm also reading this after Ligurian's recommendation. There's a lot of useful vocab as well as some intersting expressions but I do think it is best suited for advanced learners. I'll write a longer post with my impressions once I finish reading it.

I've also been reading some Garfield and Dilbert comic strips in Russian with an English translation below. The dilbert ones are sometimes a bit hard to understand straight away but they're still good practice: http://www.russianforfree.com/comics-in-...n.php#more

Тот, кто не рискует, тот не пьет шампанского
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2016 09:23 AM by Gopnik.)
04-07-2016 09:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gopnik's post:
PeruLover12

Messages In This Thread
Russian language: no more bullshit - Roosh - 04-14-2013, 06:51 PM
RE: Russian language: no more bullshit - Gopnik - 04-07-2016 09:22 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Vinny's Russian language assistance thread Vinny 78 34,913 02-15-2019 06:40 AM
Last Post: Willie Garci
  Your experience abroad speaking the language/not speaking the language Sonsowey 62 23,121 01-22-2018 08:56 PM
Last Post: Zerdame
  Russian Language Programs at St.Petersburg University Zamyatin 5 3,575 02-20-2017 04:12 AM
Last Post: Zamyatin