Tickets On Sale For Last 5 Cities Of Roosh's Tour! Early bird pricing ends soon for Miami, Orlando, Atlanta, Nashville, and Charlotte. Click here for details.

Russian language: no more bullshit
PeruLover12 Offline
Chubby Chaser
Gold Member

RE: Russian language: no more bullshit
(04-01-2016 06:30 PM)Kissinger2014 Wrote:  I found it to be dealing with phrases and words that were beyond my level. This book is not for the beginner or even intermediate level student. I would suggest it only for advanced level guys trying to reach close to native fluency. I've put it on my bookshelf, and see myself picking it up again in maybe a year or two.

Interesting topic to discuss.

It certainly is not a book to have as your main go to textbook as a beginner. However I do believe that even a beginner can and even should be grabbing a few phrases and verbs from the book to spice up the learning process and interactions with native speakers. I do not understand what you mean by 'words were beyond my level'. It is no harder to learn the word hello or indiscriminate. You just use one more than the other.

This is just my take, hear me out...It is my conviction that you can learn any phrase at any point in the language learning process. It is not at all linear. So for example as an intermediate learner myself I know phrases such as 'smashed to smithereens' or 'extenuating circumstances' but do not know certain words that would be classed as beginner words such as certain every day household items like comb or kettle for example. Now when I came across the phrase extenuating circumstances a few years ago in an sms from a friend should I have deliberately not learnt it because I did not yet know the word for comb? Do you see my point. There is nothing stopping a absolute beginner learning words such as 'Zanuda - Bore' or 'Rasslabsya - Chill out' ( no Russian keyboard on my computer ) for example. In fact those words are better than comb or kettle because they express thoughts and ideas that build connections. I can mimic boiling a kettle, it's very hard to mimic me calling someone a 'zanuda' when they say they don't want to drink alcohol.

The road to competency is of course a wholly individual journey where you develop a system that you feel works for you personally. However I would not be so quick to put a book containing good information on the shelf for a couple of years.

Udachi vse rovno!
04-07-2016 02:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like PeruLover12's post:
samsamsam, Gopnik, Rocha

Messages In This Thread
Russian language: no more bullshit - Roosh - 04-14-2013, 06:51 PM
RE: Russian language: no more bullshit - PeruLover12 - 04-07-2016 02:02 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Vinny's Russian language assistance thread Vinny 78 35,447 02-15-2019 06:40 AM
Last Post: Willie Garci
  Your experience abroad speaking the language/not speaking the language Sonsowey 62 23,348 01-22-2018 08:56 PM
Last Post: Zerdame
  Russian Language Programs at St.Petersburg University Zamyatin 5 3,641 02-20-2017 04:12 AM
Last Post: Zamyatin