I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Russian language: no more bullshit
Nascimento Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

RE: Russian language: no more bullshit
(05-21-2016 11:23 AM)The Ligurian Wrote:  About three years ago after a trip to Kharkov I decided to get serious about learning Russian. I knew the level I wanted to get to with it. Finally after hundreds of hours of self study, watching Russian films and visiting FSU countries I have reached the level I aspired to.

In Novosibirsk I am repeatedly having people think I am Russian after talking to me. Today my friend was on a date with a girl we met last night in the street. She asked him how come he was traveling with a Russian guy. He explained that I was English. The barman in a local pub asked me if I had spent time abroad since I spoke Russian with an accent. I had to explain that I was in no way Russian. I guess that means I am now as competent in Russian as I need to be, the rest of the journey will be finishing things off, adding some vocabulary, tidying grammar up. The last stumbling block I had was talking on the phone in Russian. I hated it and avoided it whenever possible out of a lack of confidence. This trip has gotten me over it and I now phone companies and people quite happily knowing it would take a lot for me to be out of my depth.

This thread also motivated me hugely when Roosh started it. I saw him write that he was going to hit the books hard and thought to myself that there is no way he or anyone else on this forum is going to speak better than me. I knew how much it would hurt if I saw a video of him speaking awesome Russian if I had not progressed out of my own laziness. It made me determined to succeed.

I did it by small amounts of study a day, just 30-60 minutes. I did zero grammar study knowing I'd pick it up by ear. I just studied vocabulary and watched tv. 30 mins vocab then 30 mins of Russian tv to cement words and to learn context. I bought a usage frequency dictionary and set out to learn the first 2000 words and every day went over about 25 words, writing out sentences. If you want a blueprint to success then there it is for you. Also I committed to visiting the FSU as much as possible even though it was to the detriment of my career and finances. I also committed to dating exclusively girls with zero English so that I would not have to concede to their better English in the relationship. I learnt so much from girls I dated about how to use the language correctly and how to express myself as I wanted.

Looking back now it's not about the end point of being competent. There is no certificate or medal to hang around my neck. It was the journey getting here that was epic. The months in Belarus, Ukraine, the Caucasus, the people I met, relationships I had, adventures and disappointments each adding another incremental increase in fluency until this point 3 years down the line where I can finally say 'my Russian is no longer bullshit'.

Well I have a date with a young Siberian half my age now who speaks zero English and loves wearing the highest heels and the shortest skirt around town. Thanks Roosh.

Good luck on your language journey.

Great post. I can relate to most of it with my Spanish journey. Even if Spanish is a much easier language to learn.
07-20-2016 06:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Russian language: no more bullshit - Roosh - 04-14-2013, 06:51 PM
RE: Russian language: no more bullshit - Nascimento - 07-20-2016 06:04 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Calorie Calculators are Bullshit Steelex 10 7,223 07-26-2017 01:55 AM
Last Post: king bast
  The Stock Market is bullshit cardguy 198 75,977 05-29-2014 07:27 AM
Last Post: Steve9
  The best no bullshit fitness and weight traning site I've seen speakeasy 31 21,774 01-29-2014 05:51 PM
Last Post: theking