I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Russian language: no more bullshit
Gopnik Offline
Chubby Chaser
Gold Member

RE: Russian language: no more bullshit
@Lermontov thanks for the tip man. Some of those PUA videos definitely have useful vocab that doesn't usually get taught. Here are a few things I've managed to spot that seem to make the difference between sounding like a textbook and sounding a bit more like a regular Russian:

не пугайся - Don't be afraid (verb Пугаться/Испугаться - I find the verb бояться appears more often in textbooks but Russians certainly use this a lot)

но всё таки - but anyways (a bit informal, seems to be used a lot in conversation)

поговорить - to chat. Literally to talk for a bit (prefix по- indicates short duration)

Я стыдняюсь, ты стыдняешь - I'm shy, you're shy (good for day approaches)
* You can also use мне стыдно, тебе стыдно... etc (dative кому + стыдно)

"давай так договоримся, чтобы другой раз встретимся и пообщаться" - let's agree on this so that we can meet again and chat (rough translation).

Again, I've noticed the verb Общаться/Пообщаться shows up quite a lot and it sort of means to chat, to communicate. Seems quite handy to use instead of just говорить or разговаривать all the time.

Another thing I've been trying out the past couple of weeks is listening to podcasts every day while on the bus or metro. What I do is I find a 10-20 minute video in Russian about a topic I find interesting. I watch it once or twice on my laptop and try to notice any useful vocab. I then download the audio and listen to it at least 3 or 4 times during the week.

I personally like boxing, so lately I've been listening to this short documentary about Vasyl Lomachenko's life (he's Ukrainian but speaks Russian).

Also this late night show with boxer Sergey Kovalev as a guest. Notice how the TV host speaks with a deep manly voice and has a more serious vibe than an American would (he makes Jimmy Fallon sound like a faggy clown in comparison). I think this tells a lot about the sort of vibe russian women like in a man.

Another channel I find really good is this one, where they post videos about Russia's foreign policy with english subtitles.

It's mostly Putin interviews but you can also find Kadyrov (Chechen president - he speaks with an accent) or Sergey Lavrov (minister of foreign affairs).

One thing I was told about Putin is that not only he is very charismatic, but he is pretty much the first leader of the RF to be articulate and well spoken. My teacher said that you could immediately tell Yeltsin wasn't very cultured and that previous soviet leaders sounded very robotic and fake.

Overall, the podcast thing has proved a bit of a "game changer". It makes it a lot easier to start speaking Russian and I find myself using complex sentences without struggling as much. It seems so obvious and yet I had never tried until just now.

Тот, кто не рискует, тот не пьет шампанского
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2017 04:55 AM by Gopnik.)
04-22-2017 04:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 4 users Like Gopnik's post:
Davidovich, AkiKinnunen, AManLikePutin, Lermontov

Messages In This Thread
Russian language: no more bullshit - Roosh - 04-14-2013, 06:51 PM
RE: Russian language: no more bullshit - Gopnik - 04-22-2017 04:01 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Vinny's Russian language assistance thread Vinny 78 35,369 02-15-2019 06:40 AM
Last Post: Willie Garci
  Your experience abroad speaking the language/not speaking the language Sonsowey 62 23,316 01-22-2018 08:56 PM
Last Post: Zerdame
  Russian Language Programs at St.Petersburg University Zamyatin 5 3,632 02-20-2017 04:12 AM
Last Post: Zamyatin