I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Russian language: no more bullshit
JimBobsCooters Offline
Chubby Chaser

RE: Russian language: no more bullshit
(11-26-2017 12:19 PM)Atticus Wrote:  Finally enrolled in a Russian language course, after years spent self -learning. The teacher insists on us reading and writing in the cursive script. Whilst I understand that a native should be expected to do this, in the age of word processors, is this really necessary? Of course, there will be instances where it is useful, but I feel my time and effort are better spent mastering the language. Keen to hear other people's experiences.

Russians still write a lot and reading Cyrillic typed and hand written is completely different.

Your teacher is doing you a massive solid, I can read Cyrillic typed (I don't understand a lot of it but I can sound it out) but I haven't got a clue what handwritten notes say half the time, the letters are so different it just looks like hieroglyphics to me.

You need to be able to write it to fill out basically all forms and while you can write in "text" you'll look as stupid as I do when I do it and it's a blatant give away that you're not fluent.

And yeah, they use it occasionally on signs and the like (same as English I guess on this front) so it's handy to have an understanding. In fairness, it shouldn't take long to learn if you already know the alphabet and everything.
12-09-2017 08:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes JimBobsCooters's post:
Atticus

Messages In This Thread
Russian language: no more bullshit - Roosh - 04-14-2013, 06:51 PM
RE: Russian language: no more bullshit - JimBobsCooters - 12-09-2017 08:09 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Vinny's Russian language assistance thread Vinny 78 35,049 02-15-2019 06:40 AM
Last Post: Willie Garci
  Your experience abroad speaking the language/not speaking the language Sonsowey 62 23,179 01-22-2018 08:56 PM
Last Post: Zerdame
  Russian Language Programs at St.Petersburg University Zamyatin 5 3,588 02-20-2017 04:12 AM
Last Post: Zamyatin