I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Russian language: no more bullshit
sterlingarcher Offline
Chubby Chaser

RE: Russian language: no more bullshit
I don't know if I'd recommend investing in a formal course, at a university anyway.

You'll be in a group class with students from China/India/everywhere else waiting for your turn to answer (another) abstract grammar exercise. All it'll do is fuck your brain.

I think there's an element of domain dependence - you have four hours of Russian classes in a Russian university, therefore you'll learn Russian best?

It's like saying you'll get fitter by joining the gym. No, you can get fitter in the park for free. It's about what's most effective for you.

For me, group classes are a waste of time and money.

Take this morning - I could have joined the course at the uni. I would have joined two group classes (4 academic hours). It would take me an hour there and back. So in all I would have left at 08:00 and get back after lunch (let's say 14:00).

Instead, I watched a YT lesson already (1 ac. hr), will do a podcast lesson now (1 ac hr) do some study from my textbook (2 ac hrs) and then am meeting a studentka for a 'lesson'. All before lunch. All for free.

I guess it all depends on what works best for you. For me, it's way more efficient like this.

You're right about structure. But they're just gonna follow the same textbook, probably. There'd be set homework, but you'd need the same self discipline to do the same exercises.

Sociably, yeah maybe there's a benefit, but I went to have a look at the classes and didn't see anyone I'd likely want to hang out with. I went to one of their social events too, and there were zero Russian girls.

Anyway...

I only came on here to share a Russian video lesson I discovered today. Seems good -

https://vk.com/video115097046_456239216
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2018 06:42 PM by sterlingarcher.)
05-06-2018 05:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like sterlingarcher's post:
ComebackKid, Prince Machiavelli, Lermontov

Messages In This Thread
Russian language: no more bullshit - Roosh - 04-14-2013, 06:51 PM
RE: Russian language: no more bullshit - sterlingarcher - 05-06-2018 05:42 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Vinny's Russian language assistance thread Vinny 78 35,047 02-15-2019 06:40 AM
Last Post: Willie Garci
  Your experience abroad speaking the language/not speaking the language Sonsowey 62 23,177 01-22-2018 08:56 PM
Last Post: Zerdame
  Russian Language Programs at St.Petersburg University Zamyatin 5 3,588 02-20-2017 04:12 AM
Last Post: Zamyatin