I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Russian language: no more bullshit
Shemp Offline
Banned

RE: Russian language: no more bullshit
My most recent source is two Dutch guys bitching about asylum immigrants. Immigrants are given housing and other benefits but have to attend language training in exchange. The problem is they really want to learn only English and not Dutch. They fail at the group classes so then are given one-on-one. If they continue failing, they can get labeled learning disabled and then are exempt from the requirement. Could be false story, though I've heard similar rumors for years. Similar problem with kids everywhere forced to take language classes they don't want. Lack of motivation is a killer. That was my point.

At the other extreme, you have missionaries in centuries past who supposedly managed to learn languages simply by reading a dual language Bible. Strong motivation will overcome all sorts of obstacles.

The main problem with your one-on-one idea is time. Learning a language like Russian is a long term proposition. USA State Department estimates 1100 classroom hours for highly motivated students with above average language learning ability to become "proficient"' at Russian. No telling how much these highly motivated students supplement that 1100 classroom hours with self-study, give that their future career depends on success. If you have one-on-one 20 hours/week, it will take over a year to get to 1100 hours. And that 20 hours/week plus homework is essentially a full time job. If 5 hours/week, then it can be done in the evening, but now it controls your schedule for like 4 years without a break, because you can't easily delay like with self-study. If you can't learn on your own, then you have no choice but to use one-on-one or classes. But modern technology, especially massive availability of native speaker audio, makes self-study an alternative where it wasn't a fully satisfactory alternative previously.

You certainly don't need another person to speak. There are Anki decks with like 86000 sentences. Anki displays English, you translate and speak Russian. Then you press and Anki displays its Russian version so you can compare. Plenty of speech practice possibility there. I previously gave the link for a smaller Anki deck with Russian audio, though that is machine generated audio. For beginners, something like Pimsleur would be better.

BTW if you were able to get through the entire 120 unit Pimsleur Russian course while simultaneously doing other things, you are well above average at language learning. Many people have great difficulty with each new lesson at some point, so that they would need 100% concentration.

Obviously, if you can't reproduce what you hear, you'll have problems with self-study, but Russian pronunciation is simply not that difficult for native English speakers. If you can hear it, you can say it. Listening to podcasts will give plenty practice with listening comprehension.
10-21-2018 08:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Russian language: no more bullshit - Roosh - 04-14-2013, 06:51 PM
RE: Russian language: no more bullshit - Shemp - 10-21-2018 08:21 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Vinny's Russian language assistance thread Vinny 78 35,369 02-15-2019 06:40 AM
Last Post: Willie Garci
  Your experience abroad speaking the language/not speaking the language Sonsowey 62 23,316 01-22-2018 08:56 PM
Last Post: Zerdame
  Russian Language Programs at St.Petersburg University Zamyatin 5 3,632 02-20-2017 04:12 AM
Last Post: Zamyatin