I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Russian language: no more bullshit
IVth_Element Offline
Beta Orbiter

RE: Russian language: no more bullshit
I'm right there too.

I've used Pimsleur for years with other languages but I'm starting to think that its not the best use of time for learning Russian, at least past a basic level.

Pimsleur I for Russian was fun and I felt motivated to keep going. Now I'm on lesson 22 with Russian II and it just feels like a chore. The vocab is slow and the sentences so repetitive and dry that it's hard to even focus. My brother in law is Russian and says the speaker sounds Georgian so my pronunciation becomes exaggerated with a weird accent. He also said that the sentence structure taught is flat out wrong or at a minimum not optimal for sounding smooth or natural in many cases.

After 52 lessons of only learning the formal вы with almost no lessons on informal, I'm thinking about putting the same time into working with a tutor to start learning real practical street Russian. Shit I can use without wondering if I sound like a textbook when I speak. I dont really want to do it over skype. My brother in law would be ideal to learn from but he doesnt have time. I'm thinking the best option is local immersion by finding a Russian Orthodox church and start expanding a social circle.

Wondering from guys that speak near fluent, what worked best for you outside of total immersion? How much do you actually use вы as opposed to ты in social settings? Outside of knowing how to speak formally in restaurants and to the general public, when you meet a girl in Ukraine or Russia, how much formal language do you actually use?

Roosh did you feel that Russian III gave you enough practical knowledge to be worth your time or would you raher have spent the hours learning another way?
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2013 10:48 PM by IVth_Element.)
04-14-2013 10:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Russian language: no more bullshit - Roosh - 04-14-2013, 06:51 PM
RE: Russian language: no more bullshit - IVth_Element - 04-14-2013 10:40 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Vinny's Russian language assistance thread Vinny 78 35,350 02-15-2019 06:40 AM
Last Post: Willie Garci
  Your experience abroad speaking the language/not speaking the language Sonsowey 62 23,310 01-22-2018 08:56 PM
Last Post: Zerdame
  Russian Language Programs at St.Petersburg University Zamyatin 5 3,628 02-20-2017 04:12 AM
Last Post: Zamyatin