I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Russian language: no more bullshit
Atilla Offline
Banned

RE: Russian language: no more bullshit
(04-17-2013 01:40 AM)Chaos Wrote:  I'm in the Russian far east right now. I only have a few lessons left of the last unit of the Pimsleur program.
What could be a good continuing course? Still going to be here for 10 weeks so I hope my Russian will improve during that time.
But I need to maintain my Russian after I'm going out of Russia,otherwiseI will forget it very quickly.
No way in hell I'm allowing that to happen.

If you want an all-audio course: Michel Thomas Advanced.
Also, review some of those Pimsleur lessons. Even if you feel you know it, you don't truly learn until you review. This goes for all educational materials.

If you're looking to learn some serious Russian, many people have given very positive reviews of the free Princeton Russian Course.

My Method:

Listen to the Russian audio while looking over the English text.
Listen again to the Russian audio while looking over the Russian text.
Read the Russian text out loud.
**This is the most important part: begin reading the Russian text again, but this time, repeat each sentence out loud without looking at the text. Just read the text, look away, and repeat out loud.

Listen to the Russian audio without any text, and if you have a general understanding of what is being said, you're done. You can add the audio to your mp3 player if you like.

Don't try to memorize anything. Just understand what is being said, repeat the sentences without looking at the text, and trust that the Russian will gradually sink in. It usually takes 15-20 minutes per lesson, not including some quick review of previous lessons, and I'm done for the day.

After you've gone through half the lessons of the course, from the first lesson, begin translating the English text into Russian.

That is the Assimil method in a nutshell.
My favorite part about learning languages is when I wake up in the morning feeling like I've begun understanding a major grammatical concept, even when I'm still in the sleepy dummy mode. It seems to be most likely to happen after studying the language a lot the previous day.

When you've spent many hours learning something, your brain sinks the information in and puts it together during your sleep.
04-18-2013 02:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like Atilla's post:
NuMbEr7, Hyperion, Enigma

Messages In This Thread
Russian language: no more bullshit - Roosh - 04-14-2013, 06:51 PM
RE: Russian language: no more bullshit - Atilla - 04-18-2013 02:04 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Calorie Calculators are Bullshit Steelex 10 7,223 07-26-2017 01:55 AM
Last Post: king bast
  The Stock Market is bullshit cardguy 198 75,976 05-29-2014 07:27 AM
Last Post: Steve9
  The best no bullshit fitness and weight traning site I've seen speakeasy 31 21,774 01-29-2014 05:51 PM
Last Post: theking