I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Russian language: no more bullshit
RexImperator Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

RE: Russian language: no more bullshit
Here's a fun story: I've been doing the Pimsleur stuff recently for kicks, and playing with Memrise (for learning Cyrillic). This has been something I've always wanted to learn but I always put it on the back burner. I'm only a few lessons into Russian 1 so far.

Anyway, there's a Russian Deli not to far away and I decided to stop in. I'm really curious to try speaking some Russian. Is my pronunciation even understandable? I have no idea. The shop is run by a little old lady who doesn't speak too much English. I had been in there a few years ago and I remember her being rather cold/standoffish. But that was probably just because of the language barrier.

So I go ahead and have fun dropping some of those Pimsleur lines.

I said, "ПРИВЕТ" (wondering to myself if this sh*t works...)

She says something back to me in Russian I don't understand, other than the word РУССКИЙ in there somewhere.

So I say, "Ummm, Я... Я ПОНИМАЮ ПО-РУССКИЙ НЕ ОЧЕН ЖОРОШО"

Got big smiles right away. She compliments my ability to speak Russian. We had a nice long chat in broken English and bits of Russian about Russia, the climate, and various Eastern European foods. A lot of the foods have no English on them so it's good to be able to try and pronounce the Cyrillic alphabet. I drop a few more words and phrases I know. I ask her how to properly pronounce some things I'm not sure of.

I think I pretty much made her day, because it's a pretty quiet shop in there. It was a lot of fun for me to have my first Russian conversation, too. I'll definitely be back. Plus I picked up some interesting food.

Just goes to show there might be random unexpected places near you to practice languages IRL, and for free!
08-21-2013 06:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 4 users Like RexImperator's post:
Roosh, TheBMan, coopers317, TripleG

Messages In This Thread
Russian language: no more bullshit - Roosh - 04-14-2013, 06:51 PM
RE: Russian language: no more bullshit - RexImperator - 08-21-2013 06:21 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Vinny's Russian language assistance thread Vinny 78 35,364 02-15-2019 06:40 AM
Last Post: Willie Garci
  Your experience abroad speaking the language/not speaking the language Sonsowey 62 23,312 01-22-2018 08:56 PM
Last Post: Zerdame
  Russian Language Programs at St.Petersburg University Zamyatin 5 3,630 02-20-2017 04:12 AM
Last Post: Zamyatin