I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Russian language: no more bullshit
Gopnik Offline
Chubby Chaser
Gold Member

RE: Russian language: no more bullshit
@One-two thanks for the link, it looks useful, I'll check it out next time I hit Belarus or Russia although hopelfuly by then I'll be somewhat fluent.

(01-20-2015 07:25 AM)Agreddor Wrote:  I've learnt how to read the Cyrillic script and have been practicing the transliteration from Cyrillic to Latin script I.e romanization of the Cyrillic characters.

Question to fluent Russian speakers: how long did you practice transliteration before you could memorize how a word sounds without spelling out its phonetics?

I'm not fluent yet but I think it only took me a couple of months to be able to read basic texts quickly provided that the vocabulary was familiar. I've been studying Russian for around 7 months and I can now more or less read a text with a lot of unseen vocabulary without sounding like a 5 year old although I still struggle with very long words that I haven't seen before. I think it all depends on how good your vocabulary is, whenever you read a word for the first time it will obviously take longer to pronounce.

Тот, кто не рискует, тот не пьет шампанского
01-21-2015 06:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Russian language: no more bullshit - Roosh - 04-14-2013, 06:51 PM
RE: Russian language: no more bullshit - Gopnik - 01-21-2015 06:00 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Vinny's Russian language assistance thread Vinny 78 35,350 02-15-2019 06:40 AM
Last Post: Willie Garci
  Your experience abroad speaking the language/not speaking the language Sonsowey 62 23,310 01-22-2018 08:56 PM
Last Post: Zerdame
  Russian Language Programs at St.Petersburg University Zamyatin 5 3,628 02-20-2017 04:12 AM
Last Post: Zamyatin