Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Reframing your mind to battle depression and CBT
The Lizard of Oz Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Reframing your mind to battle depression and CBT
kbell, a few things:

1. First, moodgym is a great site, probably the best online CBT site out there. Good job finding it, and I encourage you to go through with their program. It's fantastic.

2. Unlike other forms of "talk therapy", CBT/REBT have been proven to work by extensive and rigorous studies. If you can find a good therapist that practices some form of CBT or REBT (they are similar), go for it. Otherwise, don't waste your time.

3. I've posted about this is a number of other places, but will repeat once more here. Depression is strongly related to sleep and sleep patterns, which are in turn controlled by light. There is very solid research showing the efficacy of bright light therapy, especially (but not only) for SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder, the sort of depression you get particularly during the fall and winter and which is to some extent what you're describing). Get a light box and start using it daily -- you can find references in my other posts on this.

4. Always worth mentioning, depressives tend to be particularly bewitched by the (considerable) charms of substances like alcohol, caffeine, and other drugs, but in the long run consuming any of these to excess does you no favors. Make sure you don't take any such substances in anything but quite moderate amounts.

same old shit, sixes and sevens Shaft...
10-23-2013 08:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like The Lizard of Oz's post:
kbell, JoyStick, MunichSux

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reframing your mind to battle depression and CBT - The Lizard of Oz - 10-23-2013 08:43 PM