Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Reframing your mind to battle depression and CBT
The Lizard of Oz Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Reframing your mind to battle depression and CBT
(10-27-2013 12:34 PM)kbell Wrote:  Chapter 4 goes over the assignment you have to do every day for 10-15 minutes for about 2 months. Basically you write down 3 columns. On with automatic thoughts (self criticism), the middle the cognitive distortions and the last column is the rational responses (self defense). Right now this makes me a touch nervous for a few reasons. First is that I don't tend to remember most of my thoughts after they have passed. I don't want to carry a paper all the time and write sensitive thoughts down at weird times. I worry that I will forget what type of distortion and what the proper defense response is. Doing the tests for this type of thinking I didn't do well and tended to try to cheat. Fear of failure I assume. Will I always have to do assignments?

I probably just did the assignment in a way here. Its a bit tricky to think objectively at this point but it does feel better to do something rather than just lie in bed. The chapter I'm reading goes over the lethargy cycle and do nothingism. Perfectionism, fear of success and failure are in there is well.

kbell, you can start right here.

What are you worried about?

Suppose you forget some of your sensitive thoughts. So what? Is anyone going to punish you for it?

Quote:Right now this makes me a touch nervous for a few reasons.

What is there to be nervous about?

Quote:Will I always have to do assignments?

Why do you think of it as an "assignment"? It's just an exercise to help you organize your thoughts and see what the distortions are.

It's not a test. You can't fail.

No one is going to grade you and give you an F because you omitted some thoughts. No one is even going to read it other than yourself.

Quote:Its a bit tricky to think objectively at this point

Why do you think it's tricky. There is nothing magical about "thinking objectively", it's not some special activity requiring some strange skills.

You just need to see the simple things that are right in front of you. Just take a moment to think about them plainly and without being distracted by emotions like fear or anxiety.

The only thing that's "tricky" is just realizing that this is a thing worth doing. So you're already past the tricky part.

Again. Relax. Reading this book and doing these exercises is not a test. It's something you're doing so you can get rid of ideas and behaviors that prevent you from enjoying your life.

At the end of the day, that's the goal. Just to live a more enjoyable life.

Final piece of advice.

Do Not "Just Lie In Bed". It's the single worst thing a depressive can do. Get that light box. Entrain yourself to wake up in the morning on a regular schedule and get out of bed when you wake up.

(but don't use the crutch of coffee on an empty stomach.... terrible. Have some breakfast or just sit around).

Hope this helps.

same old shit, sixes and sevens Shaft...
10-27-2013 02:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 8 users Like The Lizard of Oz's post:
kbell, Giovonny, JoyStick, MMX2010, Enigma, RunsWithScissors, Built to Fade, Kaligula

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reframing your mind to battle depression and CBT - The Lizard of Oz - 10-27-2013 02:13 PM