Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Reframing your mind to battle depression and CBT
iknowexactly Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Reframing your mind to battle depression and CBT
(10-23-2013 03:12 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  
(10-23-2013 02:41 PM)kbell Wrote:  What am I supposed to ask them if I don't think they have CBT training?

A licensed therapist that doesn't know anything about CBT is like a licensed doctor that doesn't know about antibiotics or blood pressure.

It's the mainstream preference right now among therapists, it has good research validation.

The purpose of licensing is not to insure your practitioner is a god, it's just to insure a certain minimal level of competence.

There are a lot of surrounding problems like how does a feminist who has some subtle and pernicious devaluing beliefs about men effectively practice it, but if done well it works.

Psychotherapy is a difficult art to do really well, something like the way singing is. Innate talent immediately places you beyond many others who struggle but can't compete. My experience with my peers is that roughly 1/3 are incompetent-- thankfully they often find their way into management where they can't do any damage, 1/3 are OK, just by showing up and not being negative they are helpful, and about 1/3 are actually pretty good.

Excellence as always by definition is unusual.

"The goal of {amoral} capitalism is to reduce all human interaction to the cash nexus." L. D.
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2013 10:13 AM by iknowexactly.)
11-09-2013 10:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reframing your mind to battle depression and CBT - iknowexactly - 11-09-2013 10:09 AM